Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 43

JPost2011
New Hire

1 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2011 :  6:34:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello:

My name is Jim Post. I live in Melbourne, Fl, a short drive to the Kennedy Space Center and Disney World.

I'm 60 (sigh) and have not had a layout since my teen years. I became a fan of the Maine Two Foot lines back in the 1980s and have centered my hobby in that direction. I decided to switch from HON30 to ON30 when Bachmann brought out their Forney. My eyes aren't what they used to be...and I LOVED the DCC sound systems which fit in the O scale a lot better.
I do not have a layout, just starting to build a shelf display.

I found these forums through the Bachmann site and was impressed with all the great models and ideas here. I hope I can become a part of this community...but in many ways I'm back to a beginner.

Jim

Edited by - JPost2011 on 02/16/2011 6:36:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
11296 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2011 :  8:08:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Jim. Thanks for taking time to introduce yourself to the crew.

George
Go to Top of Page

The Third
Crew Chief

USA
664 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2011 :  10:07:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join. Hope you pick up some ideas from the Forum. And always remember if you need help on something there is probably someone that can help you out.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Trussrod
New Hire

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  03:57:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello to all,
Looks like a good forum and being a long time Model Railroader I figured I'd join in and see what I can learn as well as share the knowledge I've gained over the many past years of enjoying the hobby and camaraderie others involved.

I'm working on a 10'x 21' folded dog-bone style shelf layout that has two elevations to the single track mainline with various passing sidings and a few spurs along it's cintinuous loop. At least that's what I planned but changes are possibly in the works as things progress. I'm using Railcraft [RC]/Micro Engeering weathered code 70 for the mainline and RC code 55 for the siding and engine houses and logging trackage.

I'm hand laying all my track and building my switches to fit the situation as most all my equipment is 2-8-0 Consolidations or smaller with a couple of Old Time Diesel Box Cabs for track cleaning along with a couple of two truck Shays and a Mack Sailbus along with a couple of 4-4-0's.

This is a freelance HO gauge line loosely based on the C&S, D&RGW & RGS and the logging will be more tied to out West. I may add some HOn3 trackage too as I have at least one older Brass engines that I'd like to use as it's a little gem of a Teakettle.

I've planed the layout for simple operation using the DC block system. The way I view the situation of operation is that most of the time it's just going to be operating one train so it
will work just fine for me and the wiring is simple enough with the buss lime run around the under side of the L-Girder joists for ease of connecting the track lead to.

As far as controlling the train I have an old Troller 2.5Amp transformer and a few years back
got a Radio controled Basic Train-Engineer from Aristo-Craft and really enjoy being able to move around when I operate my trains even on only about .25 of the full trackage it really makes it enjoyable.

Talk with all of you later.

Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25345 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  07:02:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim & David,

Welcome to the Forum. Thanks for introducing yourselves to the rest of the crew.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3
Go to Top of Page

Rick
Administrator

USA
19823 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  07:05:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, and David, welcome to the forums and thanks for introducing yourselves.

As you think, so will you be.
Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
11296 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  08:10:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, David. Iím looking forward to reading your contributions to the RR-Line.

George
Go to Top of Page

usairman737
New Hire

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2011 :  5:41:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another new member introduction follows:

My name is Gerry Cole, and I'm not a model railroader. I'm what my late dear friend Mason Wood used to call a "finescale modeler". I do make models railroad subjects, to be sure, but I also build aircraft (especially commercial airliners), racing automobile models (especially Porsches), Japanese WWII aircraft, wooden sailing ships and just about anything that captures my fancy... and I model in any scale from 1/200 to 1/12.

When did I start? I completed two railroad layouts (O-27 and HO) before graduating from high school. I lived in upstate New York, within sight of the Lackawanna and NYO&W rights-of-way. I remember steam on both roads, mostly Camelbacks with an occasional Pacific. By the time I'd gone away to college, the Old and Weary was history and the Lackawanna was running RS-3s and GE 44-tonners.

After high school, my interests shifted to scratch-built R/C flying scale and aerobatic aircraft, and stayed there for over 20 years. As my son grew of modeling age (5 years old), I started becoming more and more interested in building plastic models. Since I was doing a lot of private and business flying, I concentrated on airliners and civil aircraft in mostly 1/72 and 1/144 scale. I wrote the airliner modeling column for the WAHS quarterly "Captain's Log" magazine for 12 1/2 years. I became interested in IPMS politics, and was the IPMS/USA Regional Coordinator for two different regions over an 8-year period, as well as Director of Junior Activities and member of the IPMS National Contest Board.

I was getting burned-out on politics and running modeling contests, so I started collection reference material and components on the side to build my "retirement layout" in HOn3. Before I could even start, I realized my aging eyes were not compatible with HO narrow gauge. I sold everything and "up-scaled" to Sn3. Lately I've been "super-up-scaling" to On2, which says a lot about my age - 71 years and counting.

My primary railroading interests are the Maine coast (HO and On2), the SPng in Sn3 and my favorite mountain town, Ouray, Colorado in Sn3. OK, I love the C&S narrow gauge as well. Since I have no plans for a large layout (I'm another Ian Rice fan), I can concentrate on dioramas large and small in any scale of any subject of interest. My current projects include a Boeing 314 Clipper in 1/72 scale, a quarter-scale Maine coast schooner for an On2 WW&F diorama and a 1/35 scale Russian WWII armored car from a German vucuform kit.

My wife Sharon and I currently live in Longmont, Colorado, a few yards from the old Longmont-to-Lyons narrow gauge right-of-way. It's a BNSF standard gauge branch now, but I can dream. I'm a retired Aerospace/Reliability engineer who worked for IBM, STK and Seagate for a total of over 40 years.

WAHS - World Airline Historical Society

IPMS - International Plastic Modelers Society

Gerry
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17653 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2011 :  6:54:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Gerry. I hope we'll have plenty of opportunities to discover all the models you've been making.
There are quite a few plane lovers here on RR-Line, and I'm sure they would not mind you posting views of your aircraft models.
And as you know there's a little group of Sn3ers...

Frederic Testard

Edited by - Frederic Testard on 02/24/2011 6:55:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
11296 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2011 :  9:21:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Gerry. You certainly have a wide variety of model building experiences. Youíve probably already found that we have a very active On30 crowd and a growing Sn3 group, so Iím sure youíll fit right in.

George
Go to Top of Page

Buckeye Nation
New Hire

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  6:32:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
Tom hereÖI live in a small city in Ohio which is 70 mile North of Columbus and 70 South of Cleveland.

Getting back into the hobby now that all the kids are gone..almost..still have one the will graduate in May.

I did have a 4x8 foot N gauge layout in the early 70ís the layout was lost due to our basement being flooded.

Now that the kids are gone space is not problem when you have a house that has 5 bedrooms and only one is really being used as such.

My new layout will be 4x17 and will be called TG&E and will freelance. The plans are completed - subject to change. But for the most it will probably stay as is. I anticipate that actual construction will start this fall, that will give me enough time to obtain the necessary track and materials.

My current hobbies are dived into two seasons Ė summer and winter. During the summer I enjoy golfing with my son and brother-in-law (who can the ball a mile) and deep sky Astronomy, during the Winter I enjoy building 1/32 scale aircraft (1968 to present). Currently building a F4B Phantom (love that bird) that served with VMFA 542 at DaNang.

Not the most experienced when it comes to building a new layout, so much has changed over the years so be prepared for a ton of questions.
Go to Top of Page

Rick
Administrator

USA
19823 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  8:02:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gerry and Tom, welcome to the forums.

I would love to see some of the non-railroad models that you built.

As you think, so will you be.
Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
11296 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  8:17:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the RR-line, Tom. Are you going to stay with N scale, or build your layout in another scale?

I flew into Da Nang a few times - busy place.

George
Go to Top of Page

frangre
New Hire

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  10:10:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello!
Iím Frank Green. Iíve been a lurker here for a few years. I thought Iíd try to post.
I model the 1950s Northern Pacific in HO. I donít have a layout. I have belonged to several operating groups. I build models and diorama scenes and enjoy hand laying track. Optical illusions and scenic perspective tricks fascinate me.
I am amazed by the skill and creative ideas I have seen in these forums.
See Ya,
Frank

1950s Northern Pacific
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25345 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2011 :  06:52:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gerry, Tom & Frank,

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for telling us more about your interests in the hobby.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 43 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000