Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 43

secretweapon
New Hire

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  1:19:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried to sign up here a while ago & couldn't. I don't remember why. I think it had something to do with my computer.This time with a new computer, no problem. I like all the catagories. A nice selection of topics. I think I'm going to like here.
If anyone wants to see my layout pictures, they're over at Trainboad/Railimages.
I'm in Lakewood,NJ. I model EL,DL&W,Erie,PC,PRR,D&H,CR,N&W,NYS&W,NS,CSX,CNJ,NJ/DOT,NJ TRANSIT(I'm a disabled engineer from NJT)& Amtrak. I can model from the end of the steam era to present day.I also collect model trucks & buses. I belong to a club that preserves & restores old buses.
I've been modelling N Scale since 1969. Then I went to work & didn't get back into the hobby until 2002. Since then I jumpped in with both feet.

Edited by - secretweapon on 04/30/2012 1:20:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Zephyr Rocket
New Hire

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  2:37:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another Atlas escapee here.
1) Where do you live?
Highlands Ranch, CO
2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby?
I started in the late 1980s when I picked up a Bachmann train set at Shopko.
3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout?
I model the Rock Island.
4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region?
My era is 1995, set in southeast Nebraska, modeling a Rock Island line that was abandoned after 1980, but still operates as a branch in my world. Map:
http://g.co/maps/a2tsu
5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model?
HO, uses about 700 square feet in our basement, 180-foot mainline.
6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least?
I really enjoy kitbashing and modeling locomotives.
7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)?
Digitrax DCC Super Chief Duplex.
8) Tell us anything else about yourself you'd like us to know.
The BN Bayard Branch plan from the May 1993 Model Railroader had the biggest influence on the design and operation of my branch line.
9) Post your picture - if you dare.

Me and my 3-day-old daughter testing out my new SOO MP15AC; she's about 3 months old now.
Go to Top of Page

Strummer
New Hire

3 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  3:01:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another Atlas "refugee"

Hope to re-connect with some others from the "old" forum....

Mark in Oregon
Go to Top of Page

Railroadredux
New Hire

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  5:25:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Railroadredux's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,
I am Dominic...and on with the questions:

1) I live in San Leandro, CA (SF Bay Area)

2) As far as starting model railroading, I started on a 5' x 9' HO scale home layout with my dad and one of my brothers. After working on this until about the age of 18 I took a break for almost ten years and worked instead on tabletop wargame miniatures. About two years ago, after my interest in wargames waned I saw a sign for a local train show. This was at the San Leandro Historical Railway Society http://www.slhrs.org
I since joined and am now the chairman for the scenery committee and also the Superintendent for our HO scale display. Since then I have started my own website to document my progress on my home display http://www.railroadredux.com

3) For SLHRS we are a proto-freelance, it is loosely based on the Southern Pacific overland route from San Leandro out to Sparks, NV.
My home display is freelanced and represents a small branchline in the Pacific Northwest.

4) SLHRS focuses on the 50's, while my display at home represents an earlier time.

5) SLHRS has over 4000' of mainline.
My home display is currently an L shape that is about 7' on the short side and 15' on the long currently.

6) My favorite part of the hobby is the chance to learn new skills, hone the existing skills, and above all, the focus on preserving history.

7) For train control I use DCC from NCE. At home I use a PowerCab, while at SLHRS we use a ProCab system from NCE.

8) Additional? I am graduating with a Masters in Business Administration in June!!!

Go to Top of Page

VE3KKQ
New Hire

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  5:41:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1) Where do you live? Ridgeway (Fort Erie), Ontario, Canada
2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby? Started one Christmas morning when I was 5 yrs old when Santa brought me a Hornby-Dublo train set ( my father was English) it went from one end of the four feet of track to the other, sill remember some of the stuff I had from it when I see it. Dabbled till I joined the Canadian Forces, retired now after 35 years, now it is time to play trains!
3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout? Freelance, Canadian railways mostly
4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region? No
5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model? 8 x 24, will start construction fall/winter 2012/13
6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least? Building
7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)? NCE, SPROG2 DCC, and plan to hook up the computer as well (we'll see)
8) Tell us anything else about yourself you'd like us to know. Retired. Ham Radio, VE3KKQ
9) Post your picture - if you dare. Out of respect for the members' computers, children and pets, I daren't.

John H
Go to Top of Page

Jim from Valencia CA
Engine Wiper

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  11:19:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where do I live?--Valencia, California of course. (It is about 35 miles northwest of LA.)
I got my first train for Christmas in 1956. Was active in Lionel until 1971. While in an airport on my honeymoon, I saw a modelrailroader magazine an din 1982 I got hooked on HO
I model western railroading from Colorado to CA. you see a lot of SP, UP, SF, BNSF, DRG&W on my layout.
Most of my stuff is modern, but there are times when I take all the modern stuff off the layout and run transition era equipment.
My layout is 22' by 23 ft. HO scale
I love pretty much everything in the hobby except paying for all my MR bills.
DCC
I am a CPA, a partner in one of the Big 4 accounting firms. I plan to retire in three years and make some real prgress on my layout then. I have been married for thirty years, have three children. I am a refugeee from the Atlas Forum.
Will post a picture another time.
Go to Top of Page

espeenut51
New Hire

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  11:39:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit espeenut51's Homepage  Send espeenut51 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
...the deed is done, it is officially gone, the Atlas Forum just locked all of the threads and passed into the sands of time...

cheers,

Lorne Miller

...the Espee will live forever...!!
Go to Top of Page

sd40t-2
New Hire

Belgium
1 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  04:14:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another (Tom Petty) Atlas refugee to join the gang.
I live across the pond in Belgium and drive the 1/1 trains for a living. In HO for more than 40 years. Have a doubble decker layout on which the SP's Shasta Route is modelled, partially prototypical, partially free lance. DCC Lenz and JMRI are used to control the layout.
Together with some friends we have an US based exhibition layout: http://www.freewebs.com/newponcayard/

JM
Go to Top of Page

look4trains
New Hire

5 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  2:13:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit look4trains's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just one more who wandered in from the Atlas forum. I was never a frequent poster, but did contribute on ocassion.

1) Where do you live? Wadena, MN, at MP 166 of the BNSF Staples Sub
2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby? About 3 years-always have been interested in railroads but took a 30 year break from modeling
3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout? Proto-freelance-what if the line I modeled had never been abandoned, but leased out to a shortline?
4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region? Yes I do! The West Central Minnesota Railroad depicts what might have happened if the GN line from Wadena to Cass Lake, MN had been spun off rather than abandoned.
5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model? HO scale, my layout is around the walls, 11' by 40'
6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least? I love to scratchbuild things on the cheap. I don't enjoy cleaning track, but almost anything else is ok in moderation (scenery, wiring, dcc, weathering, etc.)
7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)? Digitrax DCC
8) Tell us anything else about yourself you'd like us to know. When I'm working, I live and breath pipeline safety.
9) Post your picture - if you dare. Maybe someday
Go to Top of Page

rbcastle
New Hire

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  3:31:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. Another one over from Atlas.
1- I live in Milford Station, Nova Scotia, CA.
2- I've been in model railroading for about 17yrs. Got into with my son Andrew.
3/4- I model in HO and am trying to model the Bangor and Aroostook's Houlton sub in the mid 80's.
5-I have 2 rooms that are both 9x11 that I'm using for both a layout and workroom. Nothing built as of yet.
6- I enjoy switching the most. Not sure about the least.
7- I have a Digitraxx Chief system and have sound in some locos.
Bruce Castle
Go to Top of Page

ALCO539
New Hire

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  6:05:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I'm Charley, and yes you guessed it, another one from the Atlas Forum.
I started in N scale in 1969 too. However, like many, work and life in general made me drop out in the early 80's. I was force into early retirement in 2011 and after getting the painting done, I needed something to do. My old layout is under 20 feet of earth in a landfill, but I saved the structures, the locomotives and rolling stock, mostly A1G. I told myself and the wife, that I had enough stuff to sit back and "just run some trains" on a small layout, still DC. Then I looked at and ran some new "stuff", well you know what happened. Anyway, I need to catch up and the Atlas Forum was a great help. I was just starting to add some input. There is so much to learn, I tend to sit back and take it in . Thanks for letting me board the train on this track. Regards.
Go to Top of Page

Santa Fe Sammy
New Hire

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  9:53:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Santa Fe Sammy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Howdy folks..... I'm just another refugee but happy to be here!

1) Where do you live? Near Tulsa, OK

2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby? Since 1978 when I got my first Lionel HO scale set at the age of 4. I've pretty much been modeling the ATSF "seriously" for about 25 years.

3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout? The AT&SF railroad - Freelance but with Prototype names and locations.

4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region? Hereford Subdivision of the ATSF Transcon mainline - between Amarillo, TX and Clovis, NM during the Summer of 1995.

5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model? HO scale, Operations based, Double deck, around the walls point to point "Nolix" with 2 peninsulas and with a 225 ft mostly single tracked mainline.

6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least? My favorite parts of the hobby are building era specific motive power / rolling stock and sharing my layout with others during operation meets.

7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)? Digitrax DCC
8) Tell us anything else about yourself you'd like us to know. I have a wife and 2 wonderful sons - ages 10 and 1. I also enjoy photography, playing guitar and helping coach my oldest boys baseball team.

9) Post your picture.

Here's a overal pic that shows about half of my layout:

and here are a few links that show pics and videos of my layout:

http://www.pbase.com/sammy1974/santa_fe_hereford_sub

http://www.youtube.com/user/santafesammy

Sammy Carlile
Santa Fe All the Way!

See my PBase page for more pics!
http://www.pbase.com/sammy1974

Go to Top of Page

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  10:23:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been here for about 7 months, but didn't notice this thread until this week.

1) Where do you live?

Iowa

2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby?

31 years now. Started out building military aircraft models as a kid, then found myself fascinated by the BN switchers working their local yard, and gradually moved toward model railroading as a result.

3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout?

Prototype. Iowa Interstate's West End.

4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region?

Spring 2005 in SW Iowa.

5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model?

Roughly 33'x16', but the overall footprint is 33' square. The plan at the link in my signature explains it better than I can.

6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least?

Operating sessions, scratchbuilding structures, handlaying track, and detailing & painting locomotives are my favorite parts. Least favorites would be benchwork and wiring.

7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)?

Lenz DCC with CVP wireless throttles.

9) Post your picture - if you dare.

Modeling Iowa Interstate's West End, May 2005
http://www.iaisrailfans.org/gallery/Sub4WestEnd
Go to Top of Page

Fitter Roger
New Hire

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  10:37:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. I live on a small farm south of Juda Wisconsin.

2. I started into trains in 1983 with a Tyco train set from ShopKo.

3/4 I model what I like, mostly what I saw in the late 80's when I started rail fanning in south and central Wisconsin and northern Illinois. I like CNW, Soo, WC, BN, MILW and UP. But I will model just about anything.

5. I have around a 900 square ft basement that I would like to build a double deck layout when I get caught up with farm work. We bought this farm 6 years ago and its constant work so far.

6. Locomotive modeling and weathering.

7. Stone age DC cab control for me.

8. I am also a pipe fitter/mechanic by night and a junior farmer by day.

9. This is me 110 feet up in the air in a shark cage with a goofy grin a the wind has kick up and the crane is swinging.

a few farm goats

Go to Top of Page

jbvb
Fireman

USA
3113 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  11:23:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome, all.

Bruce C., I have pleasant memories (and slides) from '70s and '80s expeditions to the BAR from Northern Maine Jct. north to Oakfield, but I never visited the Houlton sub. I also think I have a slide or two shot somewhere between Grand Lake and Milford Station back in the days when VIA Budds still met the Ocean and the Atlantic Limited in Truro.

Roger, I only climb towers as an amateur, working on wind generators, but I see you favor the same kind of clothing as I do.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 43 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000