Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 47

Coaltrain
Crew Chief

947 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2010 :  08:33:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nalmeida

. Now, about the track plan itself, did you calculate the grades? There's seem to be a lower and a higher track.

I did do a grade check, the MC averaged 5% from Sewell to Cliftop, I will shoot for 5% to try and get as much clearance between the switch back and the lower staging yard. The staging yard is three tracks (average 5' per track)and starts under the switch back on the lower left, spreads out to the three tracks and comes back to one track as it follows along the south wall, around the right wall and back together to the main just before it becomes visible on the north wall. I may have to reduce the grade if my Bachmann locomotives buck too much going down grade but I want to keep it steep to give a better impression of what those types of railroads had to deal with.

the switch back is directly over the top of the track that form the running loop and the staging yard. It looks like the switch back forms the loop but it does not, it stops a short ways as it goes behind the furnace, there is a duct that passes too low to go under it and I can't move the duct.

the drawing below shows the hidden track and loop

Edited by - Coaltrain on 10/15/2010 08:36:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

Coaltrain
Crew Chief

947 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2010 :  08:36:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here is a little bigger track plan that is easier to see.

Edited by - Coaltrain on 10/15/2010 08:38:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

danpickard
Fireman

Australia
1263 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2010 :  5:18:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit danpickard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff,
I really like the concept and development behind this layout, and feel it certainly has the chance to be a vey well presented story of the line. Just big enough to enjoy and also complete. The section along the south wall appears to offer some interesting switching time and nice views as trains weave in and out of the surrounding structures and landscape.

Is it correct with the last posted plans that the only section of the continuous loop that is really visible is along th enorth wall with the coal trestle? The continuous pass is then just a run through the trestle scene, before running into the tunnel to staging and behind the furnace, and back to the trestle again. The bulk of the train viewing then happens with switch back work up to the south wall section. I can see there are obvious space restrictions (and issues with doors and the furnace) preventing that whole east wall from having a longer exposed section of the continuous run, but it almost seems a bit of a shame that more that 3/4 of the continuous run needs to be hidden.

I look forward to seeing how this one take shape, and good luck with the build.

Cheers,
Dan Pickard

http://danpickard.blogspot.com/
http://www.lauriegreensweb.com/
Go to Top of Page

Coaltrain
Crew Chief

947 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2010 :  11:56:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that most of the running loop is hidden, but the point of the running loop is for me to break-in running. The actual operating is a point to point. My first goal was to have the grade up the the switch back be part of the running loop, but a low furnace duct stop that. At this moment I am still considering a way to move the duct so that the grade to the switch back will be part of the running loop, but that will mean that there will also have to be a steep hidden grade in a hard to reach place, not impossible to reach, but hard.
Go to Top of Page

danpickard
Fireman

Australia
1263 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2010 :  4:36:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit danpickard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff,
Fair call with the purpose of the continuous loop. Would your wife be upset if you decided to go without heating for the house? :)

The short visible run of the loop wil still leave some movement in the room while working in there. Not sure if you mentioned it earlier, but whats the monitoring set-up for the hidden staging yard along the south wall? Track indicators, or maybe a small closed circuit video loop? I picked up a mini camera and small LCD monitor for my hidden yard, which worked out cheaper and better to visualise as well, than some kind of track indicator system where you look at red/green lights on a control panel.

Cheers,
Dan Pickard

http://danpickard.blogspot.com/
http://www.lauriegreensweb.com/
Go to Top of Page

Coaltrain
Crew Chief

947 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2010 :  07:08:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also have a mini camera that I had on my previous HO layout that I will reuse for the staging yard.
Go to Top of Page

quarryman
Fireman

USA
1130 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2010 :  07:21:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danpickard

Jeff,
I really like the concept and development behind this layout, and feel it certainly has the chance to be a vey well presented

To tell you the truth, Jeff, the first time I saw your trackplan I dragged it over to my desktop and tried to pick it apart. But the more time I spent looking at it, the more I understood why you came up with it.

The scene at the coal dump really screams for some serious backdrop painting. The viewer is perched up on the side of the Gorge looking out across the New River. Very unique vantage point that could add a lot of interest.

The vertically layered scenes of your HO layout are in this O scale layout as well. The 5% grade up the switchback sounds kind of extreme to me, but it looks like only 3 to 5 car trains would be making the trip, so it might not be so bad. I would probably try to put one less thing in the lower right corner, possibly transferring it to the lower left corner. Even at that there is not much room for car handling along the south wall, so the hidden tracks underneath might add some traffic density to the Gorge scene to help legitimize the operation.

But I see a priority on modeling just a few points, and including your excellent animation here and there rather than trying to create an entire rail operation. I think this plan will allow you to do some great O scale modeling. It does not crowd the space, but I would put pop-up access in the lower left corner, as well as putting a slight grade on the spurs down there so that cars tend to roll out of the corner rather than further out of reach.

The more I look at it the more I like it,

Mark Chase
Richmond VA

Visit my Piedmont & East Blue Ridge Railroad
http://www.eastblueridge.com
Go to Top of Page

Coaltrain
Crew Chief

947 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2010 :  09:44:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am going to make a removable section between the utility closet and the switch back track so I can slip in and do work in that area, it will only be 12-14 inches wide but it will still allow me to slip in there.

what I don't like about the lower right corner is that the coal stip loading tipple faces away from the operator. I may deviate from the prototype and figure out how to flip this scene so the coal loading will be facing the operator. My goal is to be albe to load and unload coal in the hoppers. I am considering finding a coal substitute because the real coal produces a lot of dust, but I like the real coal because it produces the smell of real coal, which is a neat extra feature.

I would like to add some other car spot in the lower left corner, either another small coal loading point or something else, maybe something lumber related. The trouble is that the swtich to a siding there would have to be on a grade and operation will be strange looking into the area from the end rather than the side. I am going to wait until I get building into that area to see what it actually will look and feel like.
Go to Top of Page

BBLmber
Fireman

USA
4673 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2010 :  11:26:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff, here's a thought, why not exchange positins of the machine shop and the coal loading area. That way the coal loader would be back against the backdrop and the machine shop would be upfront where the interior would be better seen.
As for the siding in the left corner, you could have lumber stacks and flatcar loading as the Manns Creek brought lumber from the mill to the sidings for reload.

Mark

W,L,&E
Go to Top of Page

Coaltrain
Crew Chief

947 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2010 :  3:17:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had not thought of switching the location of the car shop and the strip coal tipple, that would work out well except for one thing, and this is going to sound strange, but I want to recreate a couple photos and if I move the car shop I will be looking at what I would consider "the back wall", which I do not have a photo of. The photos I want to recreate are on page 137 and 138 in the Manns Creek book. When I saw the photos on pages 137 and 138 I knew I found the RR I wanted to model, and recreating those photos would be something I would really like to do.

One thing I was thinking of is eliminating the company store. I really like the company store but it is a very larger structure in O scale and it may over power the layout, my kids said the mock up structure looked like a doll house. I was thinking of replacing the company store with a major coal loading point and making the strip tipple car spot something else, maybe a non-coal related industry of some kind.

I had thought about loading lumber at the switch back and that would be tops on the list, getting a siding in there would be nice but I could just have them load there on the main by spotting freight cars there as the last move of the operating session, and then picking it up would be the first more of the next operating session.

thanks everyone for the great ideas. I like how everyone can see things a little different.
Go to Top of Page

BBLmber
Fireman

USA
4673 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2010 :  4:34:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff, if memory serves me correctly the strip coal tipple was past thr machine shop on a dead end siding. So if you eliminate the store and put the yipple in that location you would be more like the prototype. My book is packed away so i cannot look up the information.

Mark

W,L,&E
Go to Top of Page

Coaltrain
Crew Chief

947 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  07:52:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just checked the book and it shows on the map the strip tipple was right across from the car shop on a double ended siding, so my location is close even though I have mine on a stub siding. Like I said, I am not going to make an exact copy of the MC on this layout, which is why I picked a fictional name.

What I am considering is building a more rundown coal camp where I have my company store and a larger coal mine that could really put out the coal. I would like the area to be more run down with some harsher living conditions that would convey a hard life of a coal miner. And since my RR is not a large operation I want the coal camp to look like it is a low budget operation, unlike the more well to do coal camps on some of the standard guage RRs.

the more I talk about it and consider the modeling possibilities a mine and coal camp the more I want to go that route instead.
Go to Top of Page

BBLmber
Fireman

USA
4673 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  10:46:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff, I know what your saying, I amfrom WV in the norhtern coal area. I have seen lots of small operations and poor coal camps or what's left of them. Here is a good site full of pictures from WV, I'm sure you mite find an interesting tipple or mine store in there.

http://images.lib.wvu.edu/cgi/i/image/image-idx?page=index;c=wvcp;g=wvcart

Mark

W,L,&E
Go to Top of Page

Coaltrain
Crew Chief

947 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  12:47:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link.

The more I have been thinking about it the more I like the idea of a really neat detailed, run down, bad place to live, coal camp. I think more smaller structures will be better than one large overpowering structure. I can still make a company store but it can be a smaller two storey affair, itself as run down as the town.
Go to Top of Page

quarryman
Fireman

USA
1130 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2010 :  1:12:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coaltrain

Thanks for the link.

The more I have been thinking about it the more I like the idea of a really neat detailed, run down, bad place to live, coal camp.

You've probably already seen this:

http://www.coalcampusa.com/sowv/river/newriver.htm

Lots of ideas.

Mark Chase
Richmond VA

Visit my Piedmont & East Blue Ridge Railroad
http://www.eastblueridge.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 47  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly