Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 47

Coaltrain
Crew Chief

947 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  07:38:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks, the windows are almost done, broke the last one while installing it, but I got a new one build last night so I should be finished with the windows tonight and ready to move on to the doors. I am still not sure how I am going to make working doors, I don't think I will be able to build scale working door hinges so I may have to make some hidden hinges. I want the doors to open and close for photo reasons.
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17603 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  4:43:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work on the caboose, Jeff. Your window work is very impressive.

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

Coaltrain
Crew Chief

947 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2011 :  7:32:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a little off track with the caboose (no pun), I ended up going ice fishing last weekend so progress slowed down, then I got side tracked (that one was a pun) and did some plaster work around the dump trestle so I can start building the trestle bents and the bin built.

I got the windows finished on the caboose and I finished the doors. It took a few attempts to get the doors to open and close but I am glad I stuck it out and got them to work. The rest of the work on the caboose should go much faster and I hope that the basic caboose will be finished next weekend.

Go to Top of Page

racedirector
Engine Wiper

Australia
333 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2011 :  12:49:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit racedirector's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ooooo, scenery bits. Love the way it drops away from the viewer, going to be a great scene. Very impressive progress on the caboose, one fine looking beast that is!

Bruce Nordstrand, Riverstone, NSW, Oz-stralia

Back in HO...and stayin there!
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17603 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2011 :  02:47:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm more and more a fan of these non-academic scenic places, where one forgets for a while the ubiquitous 'low-foreground/high-background' to provide some unexpected perspective.

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

USA
5186 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2011 :  11:12:51 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The craftsmanship never ceases to impress me! Can't wait for the next update.

Arthur

Arthur

Cielo Vista Railway (on30)
Go to Top of Page

Coaltrain
Crew Chief

947 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2011 :  11:53:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The caboose is done enough for now. I still want to detail the interior but I finished the outside so it looks finished and it is time to move on back to the layout work, at least now my trains can run with a caboose.

At first when I started this project I thought this caboose was just a simple box with no detail and I was not that excited about building it, but this last week I have spent building detail parts and I have to say that it ended up being a very fun project with just enough details that if one examines it up close they will see it is not just a boring box on wheels.

Next up is building the coal dump trestle.
Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
11211 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2011 :  08:18:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good looking caboose.[:-thumbu]

George

Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17603 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2011 :  5:37:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The caboose is lovely, Jeff.

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

centercab
Engine Wiper

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2011 :  6:00:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good job Jeff! I especially like the job you did on the windows.

-------------------------
Chuck
Go to Top of Page

Jordan114
Engine Wiper

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2011 :  7:03:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AMAZING Jeff!! The Caboose looks awesome. Can't wait to see the dump trestle!!! Keep up the good work.

Jordan

Modeling The Wisconsin Northern Railroad
"The Weyerhaeuser Route"
Go to Top of Page

racedirector
Engine Wiper

Australia
333 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2011 :  9:56:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit racedirector's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How cool is that. That little caboose looks right at home behind your hoppers, can't wait to see a whole train of your scratchbuilds!

Bruce Nordstrand, Riverstone, NSW, Oz-stralia

Back in HO...and stayin there!
Go to Top of Page

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

USA
5186 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  2:36:38 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The caboose looks great. How did you treat the plastic trucks?

Arthur

Arthur

Cielo Vista Railway (on30)
Go to Top of Page

Jordan114
Engine Wiper

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2011 :  11:33:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff,

Will the coal dumped at the trestle from the Slater Creek Ry actually fill C&O hoppers?

Jordan

Modeling The Wisconsin Northern Railroad
"The Weyerhaeuser Route"
Go to Top of Page

Coaltrain
Crew Chief

947 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2011 :  09:39:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no, I don't have enough space to model the sizing plant, I will just have the chute from the dump shed run into the back drop and have to use some trees to hide that I don't model the plant, I may do the back wall of a plant just to show something. My dump shed design will be inspired by the Mann's Creek design but will not be exactly the same so can use some tricks to hide it a bit, the MC shed and sizing plant did not have trees by it but I will have to so it works out for me. If I ever move and expand on this layout I would like this section to be expanded to have the standard gauge area built but the layout will have to be very wide and should be built more in the middle of the room with access to both sides.

Just an update to the layout, I have been trying to paint the backdrop with tree covered mountains, and since I am not a painter I have been struggling trying to get it good enough for me. Also, the backdrop is almost 4 feet high at the dump shed and it is 13 feet long, which for me (at the speed I paint) is taking forever. I have spent all night painting a small area only to not like it and repaint it the next day. I envy guys like Kirk that could paint the entire area in one night and it would turn out exactly the way he wanted it first try. My guess is that I have a few weeks of backdrop painting before I can start building the dump shed.

I have been purchasing supplies for scenery building and with spring on the way I should be able to get out and get some natural materials soon. I hope a month from now to be able to post some dramatic advancements to the layout. I work on it almost every day so there is stuff getting done.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 47  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.29 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000