The Diesel Shop
 Kato NW2 decoder install
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jaynjay
Fireman

USA
5767 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2010 :  7:44:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I made a big mistake here, I forgot to take pictures during my Kato modification. I am installing a TSC M1 decoder into an older Kato NW2 Phase 1.

After you take the cab off by unsnapping the hold downs, the remander of the body can be removed. The body is really a snug fit; it is held in place by cast on dimples on the weights.

That should leave you with the two weight halves. These are joined together by two screws. Unscrew these and gently split the weight halves apart, preferably over a clean white rag or white paper. Makes finding the small parts easier. The trucks, two insullated weight seperators (Not really the correct name}, two splines, two spline adapters, the motor and four square drive shaft holders. Some of these pieces are really small and can get lost easily, thats why I like working over a cloth rag. The cloth kind of absords the bounce of the parts.

The stock motor receives it's current via the two weight halves. There is a brass shim the grounds out against the lead weight, which it getting its current from the trucks.

You have to alter the frame to accomodate the decoder as you can see in the two photos below, I cut open the top of the weights to fit the decoder, I also cut some channels for the decoder wires.

I cut a side channel on each weight to allow a decoder to go down the weight and connect to a brass strip which get it's currect from the trucks. The headlight, as seen in the lower photo has to be altered also. Originally it gets it's power from the weights. A couple of passes with a grinding tool in a Dremel fixes that.

Next, you will have to insolate the motor cavity. I used Kapton tape on the entire cavaity.

Then you start the decoder installation. The motor comes with a white dot on one of the sides next to a brass conductor. Solder the positive decoder wire to the white side, the other decoder wire to the other.

Putting the two weight halves back together is tricky; but with patience, it can be done.

I will continue later with more pictures.

John

George D

USA
16055 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2010 :  10:29:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for starting this thread, John. I have a Kato NW2 and love the way it runs, but have been hesitant about digging into it to add DCC.

George
Go to Top of Page

simon1966
Fireman

USA
2861 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2010 :  12:08:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit simon1966's Homepage  Reply with Quote
john, great work. One of my favorite parts of the hobby, doing non-plug and play decoders. There is no satisfaction what-so-ever, popping the shell and plugging in a decoder.
Go to Top of Page

railmus
Fireman

Canada
2005 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2010 :  10:36:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Any one interested can PM me and I can send a pdf entitled "KATO NW2 Install by Bob Young.pdf"
Bob is from Clinton, Ontario and does excellent work.
The pdf is 13 pages with lots of pics. We did this exact engine, CN #7914.
Go to Top of Page

jaynjay
Fireman

USA
5767 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2010 :  07:14:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
John,
Thanks for the heads-up on the .pdf file. No sense in me continuing this one then.

John
Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
16055 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2010 :  3:08:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jaynjay

John,
Thanks for the heads-up on the .pdf file. No sense in me continuing this one then.

John,

Id still like to see your pictures.

George
Go to Top of Page

railmus
Fireman

Canada
2005 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2010 :  7:08:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
John, I agree with George.
I also would like to see your handiwork!
You may have an alternate way of doing something.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000