Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 61

LVRALPH
Fireman

5485 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  7:40:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, this Switch at OS 90 is insisting on being a bugger. Conrail Bill suggested I ground input pin 27 (that pin controls the switch lever 90 on the CTC machine) It should return a 1 on my computer screen for that device. Well, doing so did just that. So since I bell tested the wire, that could only mean one thing. A bad crimp. I removed the wire from the housing and recrimped it and reinstalled it back in the Molex housing. What do you know. It worked perfect.

So getting all cocky ( I should know better) I pull down the first switch motor in the crossover, rewire and reinstall it. I make the connections at the SMINI and run the wires to the motor. I power it all up and whoo hoo! The switch motor powers up and the points go to normal. I come upstairs, turn switch lever 90 to reverse and to my disappointment the motor is still in normal. It won't throw to reverse. I guess I will be talking to Bill a lot more.
Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10482 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  12:56:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does Bill charge you by the hour?

Mark

See my homepage at http://home.comcast.net/~prrndiv/
Go to Top of Page

LVRALPH
Fireman

5485 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  05:32:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If he did, he would own my house! The man is a gift from God. What wonderful people we have in this hobby.

I guess I should post some pics of OS 90 or WK Interlocking as its known on the railroad.

Approching the crossover

Approaching the home signal

Edited by - LVRALPH on 05/02/2012 05:54:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

jbvb
Fireman

USA
3114 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  07:12:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Like the switch point heater...
Go to Top of Page

LVRALPH
Fireman

5485 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  06:01:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a productive day yesterday. I managed to get the switch motors at OS 119 working. Now this is a milestone for the layout. This is known at the Lehighton crossover. Past attempts to make this work have been a failure. It seems I had some turnout issues that would resurface after every fix, rending the crossover useless.

If the crossover was working the crossover would go out of phase (just like the Packerton crossover), or something else would happen to make this in operative.

The first good thing about this was I got both machines to work and are now being controlled by the CTC machine upstairs. I fixed a track issue with some wide gauge and all seems to be working. I have a dead spot in the frogs, but I cant fix that until I install the sub feeder to control OS 119. But that comes from the next SMINI to be installed at Packerton. So I still have this on my to do list.

I then moved to OS 90 (WK) to finish the crossover install there. This did not go as well. I could not get the two machines to throw the two turnouts, despite using the same resistance I used to get OS 119 crossovers working. I'm still playing around here, but hope to finish that today.

To add to the agrivation, one of the point throwbars broke and needed to be replaced, not resoldered. I finished that last night, but by that time I was using a lot of bad words. I will have at it again tonight. Here is a pic of the crossover at WK

Edited by - LVRALPH on 05/07/2012 05:04:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

LVRALPH
Fireman

5485 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  7:30:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today was a good day. it took a while to accomplish, but it is what it is. Today I hooked up the sub buss's for OS 163, Block 1702 and 1701. The last two are the double tracks between Laurel Run and Coxton. One reason is I had to install a bunch of new feeders. These two tracks were part of my temporary permanent modeling style. I only had one set of feeders for about 20 ft of track. So I took the time to add them. But standing on a ladder, reaching over the layout and soldering track against the wall at the back is not fun...and slow.

My only problem has been with the detector kits. The last three I built don't work. Now I have built 25 of these, and of those only 1 did not work. I've built a lot more complex stuff and they worked.

I have been following the original article in MR and I wonder if there is an error that was corrected in a later rissue. I will print off the most recent instructions from the web.

Edited by - LVRALPH on 05/07/2012 05:08:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

LVRALPH
Fireman

5485 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  05:14:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got an e mail yesterday than my CMRI gear will be shipped tomorrow, That is good news. I added 2 DCCOD mother boards. I realized I am out of slots to put these into the system.

I am going to make some programing changes on my own with Bill watching me cloesly. I had great progess over the last two weekends, this weekend will bring it to a grinding halt. I have an all day op session on Sat. and Sunday is Mother's day.
Go to Top of Page

LVRALPH
Fireman

5485 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  05:20:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Things might not be as bad as I thought. I think I might have built the last two detectors correctly. I think I tested them in a slot on the mother board that was connected to the main buss. Thta would return an occupied no matter what the pot position. At least that is what I think.

I ran the sub feeder last night for OS 164 and connected the feeders.I hope to test it all tonight. I need to try my first programming change all by my big self. If it works, I will take a short break from the RR and wire in the 4 occupancy lamps on the CTC machine. Man the basement is a mess.

One thing i did do over the weekend was to order 2 more DCCOD mother boards. I realized I was out of slots at the Crestwood node, and only 2 remained at the soon to be installed Packerton node. I was able to piggyback them on the existing order.

I will have to get cracking on those boards as soon as the RR is back together.

Go to Top of Page

LVRALPH
Fireman

5485 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  05:24:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had hoped to make some progress last night, but it was not to be. I did have a small success though. SM 175 is not working because the two output pins it is programmed too are not working. They are both being held active. My thought to Bill was to move them from pins 5 & 6 to pins 7&8 to see if this would make it work.

That would require new programming statements to be written. Bill suggested I have at it. So with great trepidation I did, and Bill said I did it correctly. A good skill to have. The down side is it did not work. It seems the first 4 pins of this port (Signal 1640) work fine, not so with the last four.

So I decided to go upstairs to the CTC machine and start wiring in the block occupancy lamps for OS 164, OS 163, and blocks 1701, and 1702. I got 3/4 of the way installing the lamp for OS 164. All I need to do is solder up and LED and resistor and hook it into the system.

Not a lot of progress, but a step forward.
Go to Top of Page

LVRALPH
Fireman

5485 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  04:57:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got the block occupancy lamp for OS 164 intalled and working on the CTC machine, Block lamp 163 is more of a bugger, I think I have a bad crimp. I will replace that this weekend and see if it solves the problem. Everything works with that lamp, except its lighting up.

This weekend not much will happen on the project. I have an op session tonight, and all day op session tomorrow, the lawn needs a big time cutting, a breast cancer walk on Sunday, making sure my wife is having a good mother's day, and taking her to dinner. I don't see anything happening until next weekend. I have a bunch of medical tests scheduled for next week to make sure I'm OK (I hate medical tests) So this project is dead for a week.

On a more excitng note, I got a call from Scott Mason asking if I would be a guest interview on the Scotty Mason podcast! Scott and Mike Rose would like to interview me and discuss how I implemented operations on my Lehigh Valley RR. and the signalling system. What an honor. That is scheduled for next Wed. and should air in about 3 weeks.

Edited by - LVRALPH on 05/11/2012 04:58:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

LVRALPH
Fireman

5485 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2012 :  06:11:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MY CMRI gear has arrived. But first I need to get the new node installed and working.

Also worth noting. Today is the two year anniversary of Hueber aquiring the CTC machine in my living room. It is amazing what it now does since that day.

Edited by - LVRALPH on 05/12/2012 06:39:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

lv4142003
Engine Wiper

USA
167 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2012 :  09:53:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2 years already! Time does fly when I'm watching you have fun. Hueber
Go to Top of Page

plavallee
New Hire

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2012 :  11:03:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to ask Ralph. How did you get your wife to agree to having a CTC machine in the living room.
Did you start off with "hey honey, do you know what would look good in this corner?".
Keep up the good work.
Patrick Lavallee

Some say"blind obedience".
I say "malicious compliance".
Go to Top of Page

mabloodhound
Fireman

USA
5547 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2012 :  11:30:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sure is a lot of work Ralph. I don't think I'll be doing anything that complicated, but it is fun to watch others go at it.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security
Go to Top of Page

LVRALPH
Fireman

5485 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2012 :  5:34:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Patrick

It was my wifes idea! She is a keeper and very supportive of my hobby.I was going to put it in the garage. It helps that she likes my friend Joey.

Dave, thanks. This is not work, it is fun. I enjoy wiring. It is almost as fun as handlaying track.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 61 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000