Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 96

dallas_m
Fireman

USA
4245 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  7:50:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Making little bits of progress ... all of those pesky nails were painted/blended into the siding and should now produce a rather subtle effect. Worked out a series of crackle painting steps to produce some nice mustard-color siding ... which isn't shown yet. [:-blindfold] And, doing some work on corbel and cornice design ...

Sample corbel carved from basswood ... tools shown are diamond-crusted bead reamers from the craft store ... pretty handy for dressing the curved surfaces. Pretty easy job here, but I'll need a bunch of these, so likely that the corbels will be laser cut or cast in resin ... we'll see.

Laid out the cornice, which will be rather similar to the one shown below ... did some additional build-outs with stripwood and tacky glue to check the profile vs. the flat drawings ... forgot to snap a photo of that, but it's similar to the arrangement shown below.

Not following this exactly, but should be fairly close ...

Playing around with colors ... don't get too hung up on the shades/tones shown in the computer graphic, that's just a quicky. Have a nice mustard color for the trim worked out ... will work on the other colors and play more with the storefront, signage, etc.

So, it's nothing "substantial" at this point ... mostly just dropping by to say "hello" and show that we're still working on the sammich shop!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!
Go to Top of Page

BigLars
Engineer

USA
9071 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  7:53:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice corbel, you going to make a mold?

Larry
CEO Tagish & Marsh Lake RR
CFO Yukon Northern RR
COO JR Mining
Go to Top of Page

dallas_m
Fireman

USA
4245 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  8:02:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BigLars

Nice corbel, you going to make a mold?

Initial thought was to go with laser cutting ... sent some preliminary info to Dave at VectorCut and he replied very favorably to doing the job ...(he's easy to work with) ... and also sent back the photo shown above. Dave suggested that the corbels on my prototype probably had those dangling ornamental balls on them and noted that in 1/35 scale I might find something suitable at the bead shop.

So, off to Michael's and sho'nuff found a pack of Beadalon Crimp Beads (looks like stock number 305B-101) with an assortment of four sizes: .031", .051", .059" and .071"

The corbels are going to be about 1/16" or .0625 thick, so one of those bead sizes should work nicely.

Now, here's the kicker ... if I have them laser cut, then I have to go and put beads on 20 or so little corbels ... but I *think* I can resin cast them with the beads already mounted to the corbels ... ie, make one, then cast a bunch. (For some reason, I don't mind punching in hundreds of nails, but the thought of all those tiny beads rolling away and heading for the floor every time I try to grab one seems scary.) So I'll check out the prospects for casting the corbels and we'll see w'happens! [:-batman]

Cheers,
Dallas

Edited by - dallas_m on 01/21/2012 8:06:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

LaRueD
Engine Wiper

USA
420 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  8:44:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Inspiring craftmanship, Dallas!

Your corbel construction looks great. Looking forward to your castings should you go with that method of reproduction.

I realize it is only a preliminary color but, IMHO, the green of the upper facade looks good.

Continue on ...

Delbert
Go to Top of Page

Ensign
Fireman

Canada
5184 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  9:37:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dallas, you old corbel cutter!
Nice work!
Now just bead it...bead it... bead it!

Greg Shinnie
Go to Top of Page

BigLars
Engineer

USA
9071 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  10:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dallas,
Take a lady with you, it makes the walk of shame into the bead isle a little easier.

Larry
CEO Tagish & Marsh Lake RR
CFO Yukon Northern RR
COO JR Mining
Go to Top of Page

dallas_m
Fireman

USA
4245 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  10:14:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigLars

Dallas,
Take a lady with you, it makes the walk of shame into the bead isle a little easier.

You must be joking ... or married! Going into the bead aisle is like hunting in a game preserve.

Cheers,
Dallas

Go to Top of Page

elwoodblues
Fireman

Canada
5754 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  10:15:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Dallas,

Just to muddy the waters on the whole corbel issue, the corbels shown on the picture that Dave sent you might be just a tad to "fancy" for your building unless you plan to add a lot of "fancy" Victorian trim to go with it.

The one you made looks great and to me looks more in tune with your building.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://www.cvry.ca
Go to Top of Page

dallas_m
Fireman

USA
4245 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  10:26:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by elwoodblues

Dallas,

Just to muddy the waters on the whole corbel issue, the corbels shown on the picture that Dave sent you might be just a tad to "fancy" for your building unless you plan to add a lot of "fancy" Victorian trim to go with it.

The one you made looks great and to me looks more in tune with your building.

Thanks, Ron! Would appreciate your further thoughts (and others' thoughts too!) after reading this:

a) You're right, the ones that Dave illustrated are too fancy ...
b) But, he sent those after studying my inspiration photo shown above ... if you look closely at that, you can see where similar turnings might have been attached to the pad on the bottom of that loopy bit at the top of the corbel. (If that makes sense?)

These are definitely simpler, but it does look like there may have been some ornamentation there ... ??? It would be a heckuva lot easier not to add them ... but suspect it would make a nice extra bit of detail.

VERY OPEN to further thoughts and ideas about that ...

Cheers,
Dallas

Edited by - dallas_m on 01/21/2012 10:28:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

sgtbob
Fireman

USA
1712 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2012 :  07:21:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dallas, I've made corbels for several structure models. I usually use one of two methods to mass
produce them. As you know from my string, I use resin casting for as many detail parts as I can,
however, for simple corbels I make a long "sausage" sort of from Evergreen strips and then slice
off all the corbels (that's how the corbels on my corner drugstore were made).

That being said, for any kind of fancy corbel, I would without doubt make a mold and cast them.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/
Go to Top of Page

elwoodblues
Fireman

Canada
5754 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2012 :  08:29:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ok Dallas, you asked for it so here is my humble opinion on corbels.

Most buildings had simple corbels as the fancy one cost money and it was probably easier to make than the ones with the "round ball" on them. To me the ones with the round balls are very victorian and look good on buildings with lots of victorian trim, and I'm willing to bet they were expensive to make (compared to the more simple corbels).

Most corbels I've seen are "flat" like in the examples below.

As you can see some of the above, some of the corbels are fancier than others but they all flat and fit the architecture of the buildings they are on. They are also the only architectural details on the building.

I like the original corbel you made as I feel that it fits the style of your building.

Just my very humble opinion.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://www.cvry.ca
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11035 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2012 :  09:08:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that the "ball" type is way to fancy for that type of building.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17604 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2012 :  12:48:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree too on this. But I must grant that these ball corbels have some great appeal. But I'd vote for the simpler ones though, and knowing Dave's interest in modelling reality, am sure he would agree on this.

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

dallas_m
Fireman

USA
4245 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2012 :  4:42:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Most corbels I've seen are "flat" like in the examples below.

As you can see some of the above, some of the corbels are fancier than others but they all flat and fit the architecture of the buildings they are on. They are also the only architectural details on the building.

I like the original corbel you made as I feel that it fits the style of your building.

Dave & all -- Thanks for the additional photos ... I think you've very nearly talked me into the "simple" approach ... which, of course, I should gladly embrace ... but I am a bit hard-headed. [:-banghead]

So, I came back to have a second look at the photos and most of those do have some fancy millwork in them and that LAST one (reproduced above) has a variation of the little balls on the bottom of the corbels ... on an otherwise very rather plain little building ... hmmm.

quote:

Well, not counting the fancy milled trim between the corbels (which appears in some variation on most of the samples you've shown and also on many of the actual old buildings I see around here) ... and that last one with the dangly ornaments also has some additional mill work on the lower cornice framing in some inset panels ...

Thanks again for the extra photos and input ... stewing and brewing ...
[:-wiltel]

Cheers,
Dallas

Go to Top of Page

Ensign
Fireman

Canada
5184 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2012 :  5:55:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why don't you make one of each and then decide which really looks better.
But then, why listen to me I can't even decide now what colours to paint a house.[:-banghead]

Greg Shinnie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 96 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000