He made the plug... This man is mad. [:-spin][:-spin][:-spin]

(Errhh... Does it conduct electricity?)

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

elwoodblues
Fireman

Canada
5754 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  12:46:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Not only did he make the plug, he made it to scale. [:-bigeyes]

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://www.cvry.ca
Go to Top of Page

Chuck Doan
Fireman

USA
1460 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  12:56:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't know if it conducts, but it certainly qualifies as a current event.

Nicely done!
Go to Top of Page

MT Hopper
Engine Wiper

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  1:13:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aw chuck! You really should stand in the corner.

Cheers from Winterpeg
Will
Go to Top of Page

dallas_m
Fireman

USA
4245 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  1:05:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Second fan ready for paint ... grille loosely placed for photo on right ...

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17603 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  3:35:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not bad.

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

elwoodblues
Fireman

Canada
5754 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  4:41:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Man, those fans are just so cool.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://www.cvry.ca
Go to Top of Page

dallas_m
Fireman

USA
4245 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  1:01:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Feedback invited: Here's a shot after the preliminary painting on the second fan. Looking at the larger copy, I kinda feel like it needs something on that center circle -- a brass star maybe? (Have a little star that would fit nicely)

Looking at the smaller copy, I'm not as sure if it needs anything else there. This one will get the cord wrapped around it with the little plug on the front side.

Your thoughts are welcome ... and, yes, I know the grille is crooked ... it's just loosely propped in place for the moment!

Thanks!
Dallas

Cheers,
Dallas

Go to Top of Page

Ensign
Fireman

Canada
5184 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  1:34:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dallas, you cannot improve on perfection!
These 2 fans you have made look so real how could you ask for more!
On second thoughts, I will take 2 more HO scale.

Greg Shinnie
Go to Top of Page

dallas_m
Fireman

USA
4245 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2011 :  11:05:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The "idea" for the box fans came to mind while perusing the Vector Cut site ... where these and a couple other types of HO scale window fans ARE available ...

Anders says he's working on an HO box fan, so I'll post a note/link when his photos are ready.

And, for those who don't have access to Greg's doghouse building skill ... Vector Cut also has little HO doghouse kits!

PS -- Sparky says "hi" ... Polly is getting along well with him, but starting to nag me to get rolling on Vera so they can head off to another one of their crazy flapper parties. [:-tophat]

Cheers,
Dallas

Go to Top of Page

dallas_m
Fireman

USA
4245 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2011 :  03:19:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Verlinden #2487 Workshop Tools & Equipment: Such a deal! This set retails for $22.95 and includes all the goodies shown here ... on the downside, there aren't any instructions or diagrams. [:-weepn]

Couldn't find anything useful on the web either, so I'm going to go into a bit of "grueling detail" on assembly of a few pieces ... especially the drill press which was the trickiest to figure out. (BTW, got my set from www.ScaleHobbyist.com -- discount price & less than list even with shipping added.)

There are LOTS of parts in the package ... this should help sort out a few of the mystery pieces.

At this point, I'm loosely arranging the parts to see how they "might" go ... checking the overall height and such ... and thinking about any modifications that might be needed or desired. Note: The funky object to the left of the drill press is a welding torch. The piece to the right of that is the VERTICAL POST for the drill press (as supplied in kit) ... but I ended up substituting a piece of styrene rod for that post.

Drilled a small hole in that upright piece at left to allow placement of an adjusting handle. Drilled a 1/16" hole in the bottom base plate to accept the upright piece. Also sanded down the plate on the top of that piece to reduce its thickness.

Put the parts together and decided that I wanted to shorten the post a bit as shown. That's a personal decision based on fitting it to my scene ...

Drilled a SHALLOW 1/16" hole in the top of that assembly and another 1/16" hole in the smaller plate that provides the work surface. Suppose I should mention that I always use a pin or such to mark the hole, then start it with a smaller bit and enlarge to the desired size. Easier to get accurate placement that way and probably helps reduce the chance of breakage.

Added a little height adjustment (or locking) lever for the work plate -- that's .010" wire with a drop of thick ACC on the end to make the knob.

The part shown above left is the bracket that mounts to the tall pillar. Note that it has little curved indents where it mounts to the pillar -- so those should not be sanded off. The two parts at far right are used to make the operating lever for the drill press.

Drilled a hole in the RIGHT side of the drill body for the little spindle that supports the handle ... then that little spindle piece went flying thru the air [:-weepn] ... but "no biggie" ... it's just a 1/16" diameter rod, so I grabbed some styrene rod instead of crawling on the floor to look for it! (Really glad the only piece lost was so simple to replace this time.)

Then drilled the spindle for the lever ... but added that fragile part last to avoid damage. BTW, briefly considered replacing the handle on the lever with finer wire ... but didn't really plan on going MUCH finer, so opted to keep it simple (for a change).

As mentioned/shown above, there IS a cast resin upright included in the kit (on the sprue with welding torch) ... that piece was slightly curved, so I opted to replace it with 1/16" styrene rod. Also shortened it a bit (personal taste again) ... the piece shown here is about 1-1/8" tall. Glue the post into the top of the work surface plate ... add the bracket, making sure it's centered facing forward. Test fit the drill and make sure it's vertical as seen from both front and side before gluing. Also, I added a .010" wire "drill bit" into the chuck before assembly. Then install that little lever.

And, that's how it looks all together ... will add a power cord after it's painted. Couple more pieces of (simpler) equipment in the next post ... stay tuned!

Cheers,
Dallas

Go to Top of Page

dallas_m
Fireman

USA
4245 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2011 :  03:45:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Verlinden Workshop Tools & Equipment (cont'd)

These little parts make up the bench vise. It takes some careful trimming/sanding to shape the bottom rail of the extending jaw ... take your time with that part! The base plate has nut-bolt-washer detail cast in place. I had to shave off the washers on the INSIDE (middle) of each to get the vice to sit properly. Drilled a small hole for the handle shown below, then assembled the parts.

Took a piece of Plastruct .015" styrene rod and gradually moved it toward a flame until the end started to bead. It took multiple tries to get that right! Then, cut the rod to length, insert in hole, press the beaded end against the part and move the other end toward flame. If you don't get it right the first time, clip the styrene handle, pull it out and start over. (Voice of experience, eh.) Added some bits of .015" x .080" styrene strip to enlarge the clamping surface on the vice jaws.

The grinder is fairly straightforward. I cut a thin slice of .030" styrene rod and added that to the front to make the little fitting that holds a toggle switch in place. Tip: To cut a thin slice of styrene rod, place a knife on the rod and use the knife to ROLL the rod with gentle pressure ... you'll cut as the knife rolls and get a nice, round slice! (Then, keep practicing till you get the desired thickness.)

The toggle switch was made by melting the end of Plastruct .010" styrene rod NEAR (not in) a flame. The finished grinder was a bit "plain" looking, so I shaped some brass strip to to make tool holders and added little bits of .010 x .080" styrene strip to put pads on the bracket. Will add a power cord to the back after it's painted.

Appears that Mr. Mudgeon has caught the "hobby bug" after watching me assemble these little doohickeys. Guess he's eager to get to work ... goofing off!

Cheers,
Dallas

Go to Top of Page

wesleybeks
Fireman

South Africa
2527 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2011 :  05:04:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coming along nicely Dallas. these details are going to look fantastic when they are all put together.

Is that model plane going to be 1/35th scale of 1/35th scale when its built?

I wouldnt be suprised if you did build something that small.

Regards
Wes
Modelling in sunny South Africa
Go to Top of Page

anders
Section Hand

Sweden
72 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2011 :  2:32:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dallas....fantastic work and excellent info. as usual. Will work as THE perfect manual when IŽll get around to build mine.

Make sure Mr. Mudgeon is not using that horse glue for the airplane.

Anders

Edited by - anders on 02/14/2011 2:34:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ensign
Fireman

Canada
5184 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2011 :  3:04:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What! Mr Mudgeon's first model is a plane?
As a model railroader I find that very offensive!
You could at the very least made up a little yellow & black box for him to cut his teeth on.

Greg Shinnie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 96 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000