Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 96

Rick
Administrator

USA
19833 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2010 :  8:40:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dallas, I'm constantly amazed at the level of detail you're achieving and your ingenuity at creating this detail.
This thread has become an encyclopedia of how-to's and sources of kits and details.
Thanks for all of your effort.

As you think, so will you be.
Go to Top of Page

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

USA
5216 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2010 :  12:44:10 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Rick.. so many tips and tricks I am trying to pick up here and keep track of!

Looking very good.

Arthur

Arthur

Cielo Vista Railway (on30)
Go to Top of Page

dallas_m
Fireman

USA
4274 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2010 :  6:53:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Ginger thinks motorcycles and sidecars are cool ...

Apparently, she told Santa that this nifty little 1/35 kit from MasterBox would be a nice way to add a "vehicle under repair" inside the shop and still leave lots of open space around it to show off all these interior details that we've been accumulating. Smart cookie! (And, thanks Santa)

Been toying with the idea of setting the structure into a diorama that will also serve as a "free-mo" (free form) module for inclusion in a layout. Railroad will be 2' gauge and I have a nice Hunterline trestle and bridge kit that would work well with this variation ... will have to do a perspective sketch at some point, but plenty of other things to do before that gets too urgent.

Santa also brought me the Creager sculpting DVD ... really looking forward to viewing that a number of times. Don't think I'll start on another head sculpt until things are very well along with the structure ... but plan to do some sculpting work on Ginger's body tonight ... and maybe paint some of those auto parts that are piling up all over the place.

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!
Go to Top of Page

Ensign
Fireman

Canada
5206 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2010 :  7:36:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dallas, glad to read that Santa was so good to you, that motorcycle & sidecar looks sweet!
I also like the looks of your drawing of the diorama that will serve as a "free-mo" module great idea!
I am so happy to also hear that the head you have called Ginger, finally has a body in the works.
Now that this mad rush of Christmas is over I will start on the doghouse I am going to build for you.That I don't see the foot print of anywhere on your drawing by the way... geeesh! Dallas & I are trading some details with each other for our Chambers challenge builds.
I get 2 HO ladies, and he gets a 1/35 scale doghouse, with some surprizes!
I also have thought of another name to compete with Verne's "As the torque wrench turns".
How about this one, to desribe your continuing drama " Slicker then oil".

Greg Shinnie
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17658 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2010 :  8:48:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The moto and side look wonderful, Dallas, sure Ginger will love them.
The idea of having a diorama around this finely detailed model is very attractive. It will just push into superdetailing a much wider area than simply the garage.

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

dallas_m
Fireman

USA
4274 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2010 :  11:09:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Greg -- There ya go! Didn't know if it was safe to mention the doghouse yet.

Frederic -- You're certainly right! Expanded diorama means a lot more work ... we'll see what happens in the long run, but I'd like to see a curved backdrop behind the building so it can be photographed from various angles ... and a train running thru the scene is always a nice thing.

Local buddy Kevin Hunter is a carpenter and really skilled at making lightweight free-mo modules with very pleasing shapes. He helped me pick out the trestle and bridge, and when the time comes I'll hire him to build the frame.

Name the pooch! Greg has kindly offered to build a doghouse for the Chambers Gas & Oil guard dog, so we've been discussing dimensions and ideas for that. Look forward to seeing what he comes up with ... and invite anyone with ideas to help name the pooch! I sure hope he doesn't use Greg's little lady as a chew toy. [:-bigeyes] BTW, the big lump on the dog's head is just a piece of plastic sprue that will get removed. [:-wiltel]

quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

I am so happy to also hear that the head you have called Ginger, finally has a body in the works.

Oops! Guess I forgot to do an update somewhere along the way. Ginger's body was kindly donated by the lady holding the dog in this MasterBox figure set, and the dog will get a new home thanks to Greg.

Substantially re-carved and reshaped the German woman's body to get rid of the uniform and give her a thinner, more youthful appearance ... omitted the plastic skirt from the kit and made a new one from Magic Sculp ... and added some socks to go with the tomboy outfit.

So, Ginger's starting to "shape up" ... Millie's getting some minor attention after the initial inspection coat of primer ... and the first of Greg's little ladies now has arms. Will do another update on her after more progress on the clothing (coat) ...

quote:

I also have thought of another name to compete with Verne's "As the torque wrench turns".
How about this one, to desribe your continuing drama " Slicker than oil".

Hmm ... kinda like the way the Torque Wrench bit plays against a popular soap opera title, but could easily see the phrase "slicker than oil" being used more than once!

Meanwhile, back to all the overlapping projects ... and doggie names are welcome.

Cheers,
Dallas

Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
2378 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2010 :  11:16:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Name the dog Sparky!
Thank you for sharing this work with us.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris
Go to Top of Page

UKGuy
Fireman

USA
5797 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2010 :  01:35:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like Scooby to me....

Millie sure is , ummm, well developed.

I'll be anticipating seeing these surprises Greg, a dog bowl, a chew toy, a bone, half a cat... Scrappy

I'm also looking forward to following your broadening horizons Dallas, as always. an education.

Karl.A

Go to Top of Page

Chuck Doan
Fireman

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2010 :  10:21:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bride of Mudgeonstein continues....
Go to Top of Page

belg
Fireman

USA
4487 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2010 :  11:39:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking Marmaduke for that great dane.

Go to Top of Page

Ensign
Fireman

Canada
5206 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2010 :  12:08:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Name the dog Sparky!

Not bad Bob, I think "Rusty" would be my choice.
Now that we have yet another name contest in the works!
Dallas, you give new meaning to the words,"Plastic Surgeon". No wonder Ginger has such a smile on her face. You have given her such a lovely pair of lady lumps.
The location of the doghouse on the revised diagram looks alright. I was hoping to have a better view of the stream & trestle, but this will suffice.
Now, regarding this name to describe the continuing drama thingy! It's obvious you did not like my last offering. So I am going to go through all of the old soap titles, one by one for you.I know, you are thinking I should be spending this valuable time on working on your doghouse,but I have to do this! Okay, Verne has already covered "As the World turns" with his much favoured torque wrench version. How about this one "These are the oils of our lives" or tools of our lives.How about "The young & the rustless" or "Plastic surgeon Hospital" or "Chamber's Place"or even "Dallas" who shot Mudgeon.Do I at least get bonus points for trying the hardest?....... Alright I will go and work on the doghouse.[:-banghead]

Greg Shinnie
Go to Top of Page

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

USA
5216 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2010 :  01:26:40 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That dog looks suspiciously like Troel's Great Dane, famous for sleeping through alarms.

Arthur

Arthur

Cielo Vista Railway (on30)
Go to Top of Page

dallas_m
Fireman

USA
4274 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2010 :  01:35:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Now you can see why the preliminary work on Ginger's body had her extra thin and extra busty ... wanted to make sure she'd still have a nice shape even after adding a bulky sweatshirt!

Have to do some trim around the neck of the sweatshirt, then add the jacket, arms, braids and hat ...

quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Name the dog Sparky!

Thanks Bob! I think we have a winner here ... "Sparky" is great ... ties in with the auto theme beautifully and pretty funny to have a big, tough looking dog with a cute name. I like it!

quote:

The location of the doghouse on the revised diagram looks alright. I was hoping to have a better view of the stream & trestle, but this will suffice.

Don't worry, you'll be allowed to sit on the front porch and watch the trains go by on the trestle when you come visit. You won't have to stay in the doghouse!

Cheers,
Dallas

Edited by - dallas_m on 12/28/2010 01:36:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

k27rgs
Fireman

Australia
5020 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2010 :  9:54:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dallas

Thanks mate for the thread. I pop in during the week to see the latest.

A couple of questions.

I went to order the Nail on floral prints, but found no direct web site for ordering ( PAYPAL ) or sizes of sheets. I'm assuming they are very small. I'd like similar , but in larger size for wall paper ( O scale & 1:35 ).

Sometime back I ordered a number of 1:35 clear bottles ( you recomended - thanks ). How do i get that coloured clear see thru look. I purchased some clear glaze medium, which I assume you heavily dilute with selected paint.

Not sure where I found the photo below, but have uploaded as an example of finish that I'm looking for in 1:35

thankyou again for your thread and web links.

regards

Mario

Mario Rapinett

http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_karl_osolinski-_revisited1.html
Go to Top of Page

dallas_m
Fireman

USA
4274 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2010 :  08:39:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mario --

I've ordered some of the little rub-on nail transfers to see how they'll work for Millie's dress. Received a shipping confirmation yesterday, so they should be here soon. Will shoot some pix of those when they arrive so we can all see the actual size(s) ... also, started painting on Millie's dress so I can see how well that works out. See notes below about wallpaper.

Here's the on-line shop where I ordered the transfers using PayPal. They DO seem to have provisions for international shipping and the domestic rate was fairly reasonable:
http://www.beautytech.com/shoppe/rubon-nail-c-40_148.html

(If you have trouble with the link, go to beautytech dot com, select "nail art supplies" then "rub on nail art")

Coloring bottles: Here's what I did ...
-- Spray the bottle with a light coat of mat finish to give some "tooth" (surface) for coloring
-- Apply diluted Vallejo (or Reaper) acrylic INKS ... the inks are transparent, so this will work well. Note that some ink colors are more intense than others, so you'll have to experiment with the dilution ... start light and add additional layers of color if needed.
-- Also note that the Vallejo and Reaper inks are MUCH thinner / more transparent than the artists' inks that we use for staining wood, etc.
-- Apply labels or decals if desired. Thin paper labels can be applied using Vallejo mat or satin varnish as an adhesive
-- Finish up with a clear coat ... could be a spray-on gloss coat, a brush-on satin or gloss coat or maybe Future Floor Wax (haven't tried that, but it's popular among modelers for a clear, smooth coat)

BTW, Using the Glaze medium with paints gives a "somewhat transparent" layer than can be (very) useful in adding color/shading to models, figures, etc., but the pigments in the paint are still opaque and just getting spread thinner. The Glaze medium will probably work well with the inks, but I haven't tried that yet. Using the base coat of clear on the bottles allowed me to simply dilute the inks with wet water and apply that way.

Scale Wallpaper: Search "dollhouse wallpaper printies" or "dollhouse wallpaper printables" and you'll find a variety of sources like this:
http://www.jennifersprintables.com/printables1.html

The words "printies" and "printables" are popular in that crowd and will help you locate patterns that you can print out. Most of them will be intended for 1:12 scale, so the files should be large enough to reduce to the more common scales we use.

Cheers,
Dallas

Edited by - dallas_m on 12/29/2010 09:02:24 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 96 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000