Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 96

Geezer
Engineer

USA
10150 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2010 :  04:17:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
<Handing Dallas some Windex 7 paper towels.....> ;-) (More text!)
Nice job there youngster!!!

Bill
The only "REAL" Geezer

"Before you say it's my fault, Are you SURE it was my job?"

My Threads:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39181&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34275&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28172&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

dallas_m
Fireman

USA
4245 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2010 :  4:08:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Five Man Electrical Band, Part1 (Signs!)

Thanks Geezer, those paper towels will come in handy for cleaning up my dirty old windows!

I put most of the siding on the rear end wall, and that gave me the itch to get started on the signs. This time around, I had the good sense to make a simple little "test" sign first before getting in too deep! The test piece worked fine, so here's the same approach on an actual sign ...

First, took long pieces of siding that had been stained and weathered using the crackle technique most recently shown ... laid those on some masking tape (sticky side up), then covered the exposed areas of sticky masking tape so they wouldn't grab the sheet of dry transfer letters that would be used ...

Laid out the lettering using Woodland Scenics dry transfers ... these happen to be set MG719 Condensed Roman. The stripes are from the lines that separate the different sizes of lettering. At left, you can see the stripes overlapping in the corners ... at right, the overlaps were sliced with a knife then removed with Scotch Magic Tape. BTW, lettering color doesn't matter for this ... just happened to have more of the white letters to spare. Also, thought I might need four boards for the desired lettering, but only needed three. So the fourth board was removed from the tape before painting ...

Sprayed over the sign with several light passes of different spray paints. First was a light spray of Model Master Light Earth ... and this shot gives a good idea of what's meant by "light pass" as the lettering is still showing thru pretty clearly.

The Light earth was followed by light passes of Krylon Ruddy Brown primer (red oxide), Testor's Flat Red, another light pass of ruddy brown over that and VERY light passes of light and medium grays. At this point there's just a ghost of the rub-on lettering visible ...

Here's a shot of the dry transfers that were used and you can see the stripes between the different size letters ...

Here's where the fun begins! And, also the reason for doing a test piece first ... I wanted to make sure (a) the dry transfers would peel off the painted/weathered stripwood without destroying the underlying paint and (b) that they'd peel off thru the desired top coats. Worked! Use Scotch Magic Tape (low-tack) to lift the letters ... may be necessary to rub it down a bit with fingernail to lift off some letters ...

Finished sign ... appears a bit more faded and weathered in person ... will have to work on getting some more accurate shots after final installation ... BTW, where it says "Co" (company) at far right, the little line under the O is just a letter "I" sideways.

A bit off center here, but no worries ... just held in place with some poster tack cuz I was eager to see how it looked!

Have to make up some more battens to finish this wall (back end of building), then decide on final placement of this and other signs ...

Signs, Signs, everywhere a sign, blocking out the scenery, breaking my mind ...

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!
Go to Top of Page

BBLmber
Fireman

USA
4674 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2010 :  4:42:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dallas, great sign work.[:-thumbu][:-thumbu]

Mark

W,L,&E
Go to Top of Page

elwoodblues
Fireman

Canada
5754 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2010 :  7:55:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great looking sign Dallas. I have used that approach on plastic brick buildings with great success in N scale (in the days before the dark side took over) but have never tried it on wood. I will be definitely remember this for future builds.

As for the windows, working glazed windows, you are definitely raising the bar now.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://www.cvry.ca
Go to Top of Page

LandNnut
Fireman

USA
1517 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2010 :  9:38:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great Sign. A lot of computer printed signs that people use look to modern to me somehow.

Go to Top of Page

Dave S
Engine Wiper

USA
320 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2010 :  3:33:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dallas,

Thanks for sharing this sign technique, the accompanying captions and photos. This sign technique is one I plan to use on a few structures very soon.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
Go to Top of Page

MikeFisher
Engine Wiper

154 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2010 :  3:49:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like it... i agree with Landnut its doesnt look like it came from one of those sign maker programs. If it did it would spoil the whole thing! Real nice! Keep up the great work and get some dirt and rust on that Ford soon!!
Go to Top of Page

dallas_m
Fireman

USA
4245 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2010 :  4:27:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! If you look thru Troels Kirk's On30 thread(s), you'll see some beautiful examples of hand-painted signs that look like they were painted by MINIATURE sign painters ... and that certainly would be ideal ... but my own handwriting doesn't resemble that of an artist or architect, and it doesn't get better when I switch to a paint brush!

So, using the dry transfers like this was a really EASY way to approximate the desired look ... much better than a computer print-out ... and also better than just using the opaque dry transfers as an "end" result. The various chips and flaws in both the letters and the surrounding areas at least suggest a sign that was custom painted for the business.

And, along the lines of "trying" to suggest a custom painted sign, I think the subtle variations in type size and placement help ... the little "&" sign between "Gas & Oil" raised above the base line and the little "Co." bit seem to add a little "flavor" and the extra big caps in the business name make it easy to read ...

The basic technique has probably been around since dry transfers were invented ... so it was really great to have an easy method to make a custom sign ... and posted pix to encourage others who might like the results.

Next up ... a tin sign and some small advertisements ... as time allows! Then of course, a couple more windows, another wall and all the rest of that stuff ... really glad I jumped in on this challenge, as it's been lots of fun doing new things and old things and watching it slowly come together.

Cheers,
Dallas

Go to Top of Page

Neil M
Fireman

Australia
2259 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2010 :  5:11:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice sign Dallas. The whole building is coming out really well

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia
Go to Top of Page

ETinBH
Fireman

USA
4389 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2010 :  5:27:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nicely done

Elliott
Go to Top of Page

UKGuy
Fireman

USA
5797 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2010 :  10:36:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Dallas, my sincere apologies for not having time to check back in sooner, the last I read you were calling me a maniac, the next thing I know off you go glazing 1/35 windows...... fantastic work and terrific results, such a difference. (I told you it wasn't so hard ) I'm sure you looked at those for some time and shook your head, then smiled with a great sense of well deserved pride. Or not..... I know I did.

Many thanks for the details on how to do the sign, a great process with even better results, I'll have to re-read and try that some time, white letering is always difficult to find a process for but you pulled it off perfectly.

This thread continues to inspire me to take the next step, many thanks for that and also for so concisely and precisely explaining how you do everything.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 07/18/2010 10:52:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mike Hamer
Engineer

10308 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  11:19:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dallas, you've done a great job on the signs. Having made a few of em over the years, I know the challenges in getting the individual letters all seated at the correct height and distance apart from each other. They look great! [:-star][:-star][:-star]

All the best, Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://craftsmanstructures.blogspot.com
http://bostonandmaine.blogspot.com
http://fridaynightgroup.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17603 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  5:58:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The signs are very beautiful, Dallas. Fine use of the horizontal "I".

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

dallas_m
Fireman

USA
4245 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  9:10:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Second verse ... signs again!

Thanks again for the support and encouragement ... here's a thin tin sign mounted above the wood Chambers Gas & Oil sign ... the wood sign hasn't been weathered yet, but will get toned down a bit ...

First shot was large to show the nails used to mount the sign ... second shot is roughly actual size on a 19" monitor ... and the nails still show (hooray!). Will post some notes on making the sign when I get a chance ...

Cheers,
Dallas

Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10367 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  11:26:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've heard of this dry transfer method of making signs but I have never seen it described so clearly as you did here. You make it look so easy! Thanks for the tip. I can't wait to try it for myself!

Mark

See my homepage at http://home.comcast.net/~prrndiv/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 96 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000