Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Cowcatcher
Fireman

USA
1453 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  12:40:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cowcatcher's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow great comments and welcome.

Yes, much of the older Atlas was in fact manufactured by Kato Bluenose. That relationship has gone away though for a long time.

Bachmann has really stepped up in the steam though haven't they. Has anyone tried their "Spectrum" diesels? Give us a report.

And what about Athern? Where has LL gone with quality since the Walthers thing and what about LL Canada that often was like a whole different company?
Go to Top of Page

Nscale13fr
New Hire

11 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  3:27:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Easy, Kato in first.
Problem, not enought locos and company.
Go to Top of Page

stevechurch2222
New Hire

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2008 :  01:52:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes,I am an HO modeler and I voted for other.since I love the Athearn RTR and Athearn Genesis,and they make the MP15AC's and SD40-2 early version with the correct fuel tank for Milwaukee Road,Kayo would be second,but they currently don't make the early version SD40-2's with the correct fuel tank and are hard to find.May be some day they will do another run of the early version SD40-2's with the correct fuel tank,I'm not holding my breath for it.

Steve Church
Go to Top of Page

David Beale
New Hire

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2008 :  11:18:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit David Beale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Atlas got my vote, because they run well and I can afford them. I have two KATO engines, one bought second hand, and the other is their RDC and I was not impressed. I've probably had/have most of the engines in this list. What I do know is that the N scale engines of today are all much better than the engines I bought in the 1970-1980's. I've been pleased with both Life Like and Model Power engines of today. When it comes to N Scale Engines I never groan about remembering the good old days.

Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11035 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  05:27:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"When it comes to N Scale Engines I never groan about remembering the good old days."

Amen!

Mike
Go to Top of Page

arnaud
New Hire

France
20 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2008 :  11:03:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Voted to Atlas, but Kato is really good to.
Go to Top of Page

Michael
Engine Wiper

456 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  12:27:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Came across this topic. It's a good one as everyone has an differing opinion about the various locomotive manufacturers out there.

Over the past few years my collection has included Kato, Atlas, Athearn and LL Canada brands.

Recently, Athearn and LL Canada rival Kato and Atlas in quality.

My Athearn SD75I ran very well out of the box. It has good detail and paint. The LL Canada RS-18, that I recently sold - why?, again, was a good runner out of the box like the Athearn model.

Now, finally, we N scalers have more and more selection when it comes to good running, quality diesel locomotives.

I did have Kato Mikado steam engine, which was too old for my plans, and like my diesels, it ranked up there. Of course, being Kato what else is new?

Looking forward to seeing how Intermountain's units stack up to the others. Does anyone own an Intermountain unit that's willing to share their thoughts with the rest of us?

Take care,

Go to Top of Page

Rowan
Section Hand

Australia
67 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2009 :  2:38:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trix is what has captured me. Beutiful.

Edited by - Rowan on 12/28/2009 2:38:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

SOUPAC
New Hire

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  03:06:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit SOUPAC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They made all 3 versions of the tunnel motors of my beloved SP! No one else had the cojones but IM did!

You're invited to visit my layout construction in progress by clicking on the link below...

http://www.spcascadesub.com
Go to Top of Page

LandNnut
Fireman

USA
1517 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  9:00:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Rick and welcome to the small scale forum. I checked out your web site and you are really showing off N scale's advantages.
L&N nut
Jon

Edited by - LandNnut on 08/01/2010 9:24:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

toddsyr
New Hire

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  9:06:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rowan

Trix is what has captured me. Beutiful.

I also have a couple of pretty old Trix locomotives. An A and B F unit set. They don't have the exact slow speed switching capability of an Atlas or Kato, but they run nice in front of the custom made EL passenger train they came with. It's also nice to have some of the N scale of long ago to display also.

Todd K. Stearns
Go to Top of Page

SOUPAC
New Hire

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  06:20:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit SOUPAC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LandNnut

Hi Rick and welcome to the small scale forum. I checked out your web site and you are really showing off N scale's advantages.
L&N nut
Jon

Thanks Jon, I'm trying. Haven't posted much recently as I'm working on electrical and trackage. This is a big layout and I'm doing it all by myself, so the going is slow. When I can get back to some more scenery, I'll be posting more photo's.

You're invited to visit my layout construction in progress by clicking on the link below...

http://www.spcascadesub.com
Go to Top of Page

HurleyStation
Engine Wiper

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2011 :  07:27:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like them all. I think Bachmann has come a long way as well as Atlas since my early days in the hobby back in the mid 60's. I remember my Dad's Athearn kits (old HO diesel and rolling stock kits) when I was a boy and have always had a fond place in my heart for them (though I probably destroyed most of them trying to build them[:-cry]). I like Mini-Trix and am also impressed with Fleischmann (though cost keeps them out of my reach). I'm not above having a couple of European steamers on loan to my rail system[:-eyebrows]. The selection and detail that has come available is amazing. Now if someone will produce a good N scale Heisler I will be content.

Edited by - HurleyStation on 11/27/2011 07:28:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

Pacbelt
Fireman

USA
1065 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2012 :  04:59:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pacbelt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I chose Atlas as my favorite. The N scale locos have good detail, and run smooth. I love that most N scale motive power these days runs smooth, doesn't go 300 SMPH (!), and quite a few are now decoder equipped, or at least easily converted. Even B'Mann is coming out with one or two decent locos! N scale has finally delivered!

Go to Top of Page

Strummer
New Hire

3 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  3:13:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like both Atlas and Kato, and some of the Bachmann pieces as well...

Mark in Oregon
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000