Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

brakie
Fireman

USA
6979 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  3:10:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah,I didn't catch on it was N Scale till I made a reply. Oh well.Being a former N Scaler I could vote my favorites in N scale.

Larry
C&O FOR PROGRESS!

Edited by - brakie on 09/28/2002 15:11:09
Go to Top of Page

Jack Doran
Engine Wiper

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  6:28:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Jack Doran a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
whoops I to though this was a HO poll. My pick is Athearn can't beat them for the money and what you can kitbash with them.

Go to Top of Page

orsonroy
New Hire

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2002 :  10:13:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being an incurable steamaholic, I voted for Life Like. Their steam releases are all gems (I have one 0-6-0, one 2-8-8-2, and SEVEN 0-8-0s!), and their freight cars fit my era and are some of the nicest cars on the market! All my cars also currently use the LL metal wheelsets (mostly, on Accurail trucks). On this list Bachmann would be my #2 choice, since their steam releases are virtually as nice as the P2K engines (unfortunately, only their 2-8-0 fits my roster).

Of course, if you had included them, my all-time #1 pick would be BOWSER!

RAY

Go to Top of Page

Johnnie C. Scott
Engine Wiper

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2002 :  12:20:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I picked "other" because when you think about it the layout is a model and the trains are what we run on it. There are a lot of scenery and building suppliers/manufacturers who otherwise are not represented. Design Preservation Models, Yesteryear Productions, Rix, Wirl-Wind and Kibri to name a few sources for buildings/structures. Scenery products are just too many to mention.
Now that Ive gone back to the top and seen that is a favorite locomotive manufacturer poll. I guess I'll have to say Atlas, followed closely by Life-Like. Kato is a close third and we'll have to wait and see about Athearn and Bachmann.
Johnnie C. Scott-Along the redneck superhighway (a 2-lane dirt road)

Edited by - Johnnie C. Scott on 09/30/2002 12:26:45
Go to Top of Page

mpcaboose
New Hire

14 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2002 :  4:56:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted for LifeLike because their engines have always run great for me, but also because they modelled the Midwestern roads that were ignored by everyone else. Without them, modelling the Mopac in 1957 would be a MUCH more difficult assignment.

Thanks, LifeLike!

Go to Top of Page

C44-9
New Hire

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2002 :  11:44:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was looking strictly from a loco point of view.. Compare Kato to Atlas , Kato runs MUCH smoother and Quieter than any Atlas I have ever owned.. I will give Atlas the thumbs up for other products (Buildings and Kits)though just not loco's.

Woodland Scenics for scenery material, Heki for Trees, Peco for Turnouts, MicoTrains for rolling stock, Digitrax for DCC,

Can anyone help quiet down my Atlas B 23-7's or RS-3's ????? C44-9

"May all your N-Scale dreams be mighty ones"

Edited by - C44-9 on 10/01/2002 11:48:59

Go to Top of Page

Denys
Section Hand

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2002 :  8:55:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

HopefulAlan,

I can agree with you, but I would still put LL in third place myself. Most of the engines thay have come out with don't fit my era and the fact that they aren't DCC ready is huge in knocking them down the list in my opinion.

Bob

PS: I do love my C424s and SW9/1200s though.

I don't know about the N scale P2Ks but the latest releases in HO have all be DCC compatible.

Go to Top of Page

bobcat
New Hire

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2002 :  12:39:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

HopefulAlan,

I can agree with you, but I would still put LL in third place myself. Most of the engines thay have come out with don't fit my era and the fact that they aren't DCC ready is huge in knocking them down the list in my opinion.

Bob

PS: I do love my C424s and SW9/1200s though.

I don't know about the N scale P2Ks but the latest releases in HO have all be DCC compatible.

So far, not one N scale LL engine has come DCC ready. I think they have really dropped the ball on this one.

Go to Top of Page

bobcat
New Hire

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2002 :  1:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find it interesting, even if there are HO members voting in this poll, that Micro-Trains doesn't even have one vote so far. Just another indicator to me that MT has lost perspective with their model railroad base and caters to collectors today.

Go to Top of Page

Cowcatcher
Fireman

USA
1453 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2002 :  2:16:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cowcatcher's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bobcat,

The main reason I threw in Micro-Trains was the upcoming FT release. This poll was meant to be locomotives only and I was probably reaching some by adding MT and IM but some have seen the proto-types at trade and train shows and have read revies of them. Maybe we should wait a year and redo this poll after the IM's, MT, and Athearns have got a few road miles. It would be interesting to see the difference then.

Dave Koch
Go to Top of Page

uboat
New Hire

21 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2002 :  7:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like different ones for different reasons, Kato for the watchlike quality, Atlas for the great detail and variety, Lifelike for its variety, first gen focus and most of all its price point.

Go to Top of Page

brakie
Fireman

USA
6979 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2002 :  9:22:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now,I named my favorite HO manufacturers now I will name the N Scale locos I used when in N Scale. I used Atlas,Mimi Trix,AHM and some Bachman durning the 80s.By looking at todays N scale,it would be Atlas,Kato and Life Like.

Larry
C&O FOR PROGRESS!

Edited by - brakie on 10/10/2002 21:23:00
Go to Top of Page

ConrailDude1
New Hire

4 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  1:11:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit ConrailDude1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow thats a tough one, I like Kato a lot since they were like my first experience with N scale and the locos they make are awesome. There is nothing like a Kato locomotive, The weight of a Kato locomotive, the quiet mechinisims the detail and paint are awesome.

Atlas is also a great company, I love the paint jobs on the locos and the details are awesome, the motors are silky smooth and quiet as a mouse. I have to admitt that I think I own a equal amount of both Atlas and Kato locomotives so it a toss up between the two companies.

Both companies have great selling points, Kato has the mechinisms down and the details Atlas also has the paint and mechinisms correct as well as the details so go figure.

Live by the Airbrush die by the Paintbrush.
Go to Top of Page

Jackdaw
New Hire

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  6:29:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I (totally brand new member who just stumbled across this forum) voted for Life-Like, because they offer 95% of the detail and performance of Atlas and Kato but are more affordable. Not that I don't like Atlas and Kato too of course...

I also like the gearing of Life-Like locos, which gives them more realistic slow-speed performance and top end speed in my opinion.

The one other manufacturer that I like which was not listed is E-R Models--I have several of their Baldwin Sharknoses and they are fabulous!
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Forum Admin

USA
5619 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2002 :  02:00:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard Jack,

Happy Railroading !

Joe

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000