Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Cowcatcher
Fireman

USA
1453 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2002 :  4:47:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cowcatcher's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Whose product do you like best?

I only have 8 slots so please be kind if your choice is Lima, Con-Cor, Riv. or someone else. Just add a note to say who and why.

bobcat
New Hire

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2002 :  5:41:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted for Atlas, but Kato is a close second. The decideing factor there was that you can get Atlas locomotives with a decoder installed. Also because I think the Atlas rolling stock is better than Kato's. Atlas's rolling stock has come a long way, detailas nice as MT, but then I still switch the truck s to MT's. I think the Accumate couplers still need some work.

Go to Top of Page

HopefulAlan
Engine Wiper

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2002 :  9:56:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I chose Life-Like because I believe they offer the most bang for the fewest bucks. Their diesels are smooth, quiet performers, and the detail is very good. For a budget-conscious modeler, they are an excellent choice.

Go to Top of Page

bobcat
New Hire

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2002 :  10:14:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HopefulAlan,

I can agree with you, but I would still put LL in third place myself. Most of the engines thay have come out with don't fit my era and the fact that they aren't DCC ready is huge in knocking them down the list in my opinion.

Bob

PS: I do love my C424s and SW9/1200s though.

Go to Top of Page

R.Geiter
Engine Wiper

USA
246 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2002 :  11:09:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like them all.

R.Geiter
Lancaster, PA
Visit my home layout at: http://rgeiter.20m.com/index.html

Go to Top of Page

TrainWorm
Engine Wiper

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2002 :  11:37:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit TrainWorm's Homepage  Send TrainWorm a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I voted "other"

my choice would have to be Athearn. they are inexpensive, easily modified, indestructable, and come in a huge variety.

if i could only buy from one manufacturer, it would be Athearn, because they have everything!

Union Pacific
"We Will Devour"
Go to Top of Page

bobcat
New Hire

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  12:06:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I like them all.

R.Geiter
Lancaster, PA
Visit my home layout at: http://rgeiter.20m.com/index.html

R.Geiter,

I like your website and layout. Do you go to the train show that is held at the York Fairgrounds, I think in October.

Bob

Go to Top of Page

Cowcatcher
Fireman

USA
1453 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  12:09:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cowcatcher's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, we small scalers got our polled promoted to the top. Of course I forgot Athern because I am in N and don't have Athern experience.......yet!

Dave Koch
Go to Top of Page

absnut
New Hire

29 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  01:57:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could have voted Atlas since they got me into N back in the late 60's. But, while they have a great product, and I am not interested in DCC, I voted LifeLike because they have been steadily improving their product, have produced a lot of first generation locos, and are quite affordable.

Dick

When all is said and done, usually, there's a lot more said than done!
Go to Top of Page

brakie
Fireman

USA
6979 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  07:03:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could not vote.You see I have Atlas,Athearn,P2k and 3 Walthers.The best of the lot so far as trouble free operation as been the Athearn,Walthers and P2Ks.I have had a flywheel to come loose on 2 Atlas locomotives. A GP38 and GP7.A pickup wire from the front truck came loose on one of the GP7s.One of my SD35s had a clicking noise in the gear box as did one of my new C&O RS1s.. .Happily all was a easy fix.Now seeing Atlas is the "TOP" of the line with a hefty price tag even when discounted this should have never happen.Will I buy more Atlas? Yes,I am committed to 6 Chessie GP38s and 3 Chessie SD35s.After that depends on how these units hold up.

Now outside of the above problems I am well pleased with my locomotives overall...

Larry
C&O FOR PROGRESS!
Go to Top of Page

CSXFAN
Engine Wiper

188 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  08:35:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ATHEARN GETS MY VOTE! YOU CAN'T BEAT THE PRICE FOR SUCH A NICE PIECE OF WORK!

RANDY

Go to Top of Page

wolv33
Engine Wiper

USA
449 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  09:58:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I was a bit confused by the poll. It did not say whether we were supposed to choose for motive power, rolling stock, structures, etc.

For structures I would choose Walthers. For motive power I would choose Athearn and LifeLike as a tie. Finally, for rolling stock I really like MDC/Roundhouse. They tend to lean toward a lot of cars either recently existed or still exist, and they have a good selection of road names. They also offer hard-to-find items like BN black coal hoppers and gondolas. For track I would vote either Atlas or Peco. Scenery I would choose Woodland Scenics.

Of course, my choices are not totally dedicated to these names. These are just the ones I would choose first.

Wolv33
CEO Midwestern Double-line Railroad
http://members.fortunecity.co.uk/wolv33/mwdlrr.html

Go to Top of Page

optiplex
New Hire

23 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  10:19:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cowcatcher Dave,

I have no favorite manufacturer. I like the transision period and thus I run both steam and deisel. Different engines types are produced by different manufacturers.

Opti

quote:

Whose product do you like best?

I only have 8 slots so please be kind if your choice is Lima, Con-Cor, Riv. or someone else. Just add a note to say who and why.

Go to Top of Page

bobcat
New Hire

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  11:46:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This started out as a poll for favorite N scale mfg., but I think we have the HOers voting now as well.

Go to Top of Page

Cowcatcher
Fireman

USA
1453 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  2:28:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cowcatcher's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard Opti.

Wolv, This did start out as N Scale and then Joe or someone moved it to the top, thus the confusion. The title is "Favorite N Scale Locomotive Mfg." but we are happy to hear the views of the HO modelers too.

Dave Koch
Go to Top of Page

Bucks Owin
Fireman

USA
1398 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  2:39:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it is the first thing that pops up when I logged in and you're kinda forced to try and vote to get past it! After your vote it becomes apparent that it's a tiNy scale poll.......(Wondered where the "Irv" was!)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000