New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Boss Boomer
Section Hand

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2010 :  12:58:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, All--not sure if this is the right forum for this and, if it's not, admins do feel free to move it where it would better serve.

I'm getting back to modelling since I retired recently and would seriously like to re-power a number of my Athearn engines with can motors and such. The problem is...I'm pretty much a lone wolf-type and I have to learn things on my own. I've tried joining a few clubs at various times, but I never truly "fit in" and don't have anyone else to ask about this sort of thing.

All that said--any suggestions for books or websites that could help teach me to re-power my equipment with "tried and true" methods? Anyone interested in taking on an "internet apprentice" to pass on info about doing this sort of thing?

I thank you for your replies.

I live in my own little world, but it's OK--they know me here!

LandNnut
Fireman

USA
1497 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2010 :  3:12:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Matthew;
Some friends of mine in a club I used to belong to years ago swore by these:

http://www.alliancelink.com/alp/photos.htm

L&N nut
Jon

Go to Top of Page

Boss Boomer
Section Hand

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2010 :  5:53:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Jon, for the addy to Helix Humper. I've heard of them, but didn't know they were still in business. That addy is good until the end of the month when their ISP closes down.

I sent an e-mail to Helix Humper to see if they are going to stay in business with a new ISP, so I have to wait until I hear back from them. They would be ideal, but I doubt I can conclude all my re-powering projrects before the end of the month.

Thanks anyway!

Go to Top of Page

HW
Engine Wiper

Philippines
160 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2010 :  7:24:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit HW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aline works for me.
http://www.ppw-aline.com/re-power.htm
Go to Top of Page

railmus
Fireman

Canada
1722 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2010 :  7:24:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You might also try a Yahoo group run by one of our members here - Doug Coffey.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/repowerandregear

You will have to join.

John Kanakos
CNJWS II, Custom Models- Design & Build
http://www.junctionwestsub.ca
NMRA #055691 CARM # 212
Go to Top of Page

Boss Boomer
Section Hand

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2010 :  8:44:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Rich, for the addy for A-Line. They look to be just what I need to get started with my projects for repowering, including a book for the subject from Railmodel Journal specifically for Athearn locos--ideal!

John, I thank you, too, for the addy to Yahoo groups, but I can never figure out how to join that group. I must be really slow or something, but I've never understood how to use Yahoo. I'm sorry.

Go to Top of Page

jaynjay
Fireman

USA
4625 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2010 :  07:49:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a couple of older Athearn switchers that could use remotoring, so finding this thread was useful. I had never heard of Helix Humpers; so I was pretty interested when I looked over their website. Like everything else though; there is an opposite side of the coin:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,414685

This forum is a little dated; but I can only assume that it still rings true.

I have heard of A-Line though and I might give them a try.

John
Go to Top of Page

brakie
Fireman

USA
6979 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2010 :  10:28:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may want to consider Athearn's Genesis motor.
Go to Top of Page

jaynjay
Fireman

USA
4625 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2010 :  10:37:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Boss Boomer

John, I thank you, too, for the addy to Yahoo groups, but I can never figure out how to join that group. I must be really slow or something, but I've never understood how to use Yahoo. I'm sorry.

Don't feel alone on not knowing what to do. I've looked at the Yahoo groups several times and never could figure out what to do

John
Go to Top of Page

Boss Boomer
Section Hand

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2010 :  2:52:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...thanks for the additional info, guys. There's more for me to digest and consider.

Go to Top of Page

northern6400
Fireman

Canada
3440 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2010 :  8:11:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I have upgraded several blue box Athearn locomotives. The locos with the rectangular motors to me can be fine tuned to to run very smoothley and very slowly. First of all take apart both of the truck gear towers, then take a fine triangular micro file and run it through each tooth of each gear. You are using it to clean all of the fine burrs and molding lines off each gear. Then lubricate all of the gear axels with just a bit of Labelle white grease and replace the gears and reassemble the gear towers.
Lubricate the truck axels with one drop of Labelle 108 on each axel. Lubricate the universal joints with just a bit of Labelle white grease. Put one drop of Labell bearing oil on each of the brass motor bearings. Check out the older Kalmbach books on servicing locomotives for such things as improving wiring, lighting, wheel contact etc.Later if you wish you can add DCC to these locomotives.

Chuck Faist
Burlington, Ontario
Enjoy yourself it is later than you think!
Go to Top of Page

Boss Boomer
Section Hand

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2010 :  10:08:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Chuck, in Burlington!

What are your thoughts on using the Ernst gearing for Athearn gear towers? Noisy, yes. But they DO slow down those Athearn "speed demons!"

Know of any "better" gearing for Athearn? NWSL makes a point of saying they don't believe there's anything wrong with Athearn stock gearing, just cheap motors.

Go to Top of Page

northern6400
Fireman

Canada
3440 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  08:28:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boss I have installed Ernest gearing in an Athearn Hustler and a bud car, they were both rubber band drive. Waste of money in my opinion. I have probably done ten of the athearn blue box locos between our clubs and my own. If you follow my suggestions you will have a very smooth operating loco that runs well at slow speed. This procedure works for locos with the rectangular motors with the brass motor caseing.

Chuck Faist
Burlington, Ontario
Go to Top of Page

FiatFan
Engine Wiper

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  10:03:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just finished using the Ernst kit on an Athearn SW1500 on Saturday. It will be coming back out. Sure, it slows them down but in my case, it removed any speed control I had (DC transistor throttle). I am going to look into a new motor for it.

The only reason I'm even considering this is that it's for the sweep I posted about last month.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

northern6400
Fireman

Canada
3440 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  12:42:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boss here is a website pictoriarily showing my directions above.They do not show the filing of the gears but I would still do that.
http://www.mcor-nmra.org/Publications/Articles/Athearn_TuneUp.html

Chuck Faist
Burlington, Ontario
Go to Top of Page

Boss Boomer
Section Hand

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  1:21:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, that looks like THAT! With the NMRA site that Chuck provided and the A-line site that Rich provided, I think even a slow, old, fat boy like me can't screw it up too badly! Those are great, simple directions to do EXACTLY what I want to do with my Athearn gear! I need a few things before I can start, but I think I can do it!

I'll report back after I tune-up and/or convert my first loco!

Thanks a million, guys!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-13 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000