Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10448 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  8:10:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cliff, I love the signs. Is the weathering on those signs part of the actual image you used, or did you weather it up yourself?

Mark

See my homepage at http://home.comcast.net/~prrndiv/
Go to Top of Page

maandg
Engine Wiper

437 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  10:57:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit maandg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carl, Eric, Frederic and Mark! I appreciate your comments! Frederic, I use standard white cardstock (110 lb) for all of my self-printed backdrops. Mark, I did not do any weathering on the signs other than adding a little black pastel chalk to the Coca-Cola sign. The other faded signs were found as-is on Google images. Do a search on “Ghost Signs” and you will find all kinds of cool photos. Unfortunately, most are taken at an angle that makes them hard, if not impossible, to use for backdrop signs. However, there are a few out there - such as the Johnson Automotive Parts, American Beauty Macaroni, and Cole & Grace signs – that were photographed “head-on”. The beauty of these images is that they naturally show the faded paint, exposed brick, and, in some cases, traces of earlier signs underneath. No further weathering is required.

Well, it’s Saturday, so I’m back off to the train building. Eric, could you pass me the magic beans, please?

Cliff Powers
The Mississippi Alabama & Gulf
Please visit my layout website at
www.magnoliaroute.com
Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10448 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  11:11:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info Cliff. I will have to check that out. Seems we can never find enough signs, but those look really good!

Mark

Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17637 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  5:04:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the hint about the paper, Cliff. It's very convincing.

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

maandg
Engine Wiper

437 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2011 :  12:47:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit maandg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have made some progress in the coach yard area that I wanted to share with everyone. I took these photos with my phone, so I apologize if the quality is not quite up to par. Overall, I think they turned out fine.

Before looking at individual components of the scene, here is an overall view of the area.

One of the first things you notice is the overhead truss. This carried utility pipes over the tracks; presumably for steam and oil use. I created the truss using Plastruct large scale ladders. The cross pieces are styrene strips. The structure has not yet been weathered and the large pipe is only partially installed (far left). I used a bendable drinking straw for this purpose.

In this awesome prototype photo you can see a lot of the details of the truss. It came from an old magazine article I bought on eBay. All of the prototype photos in this update were taken of the magazine page with my phone, so I apologize for the quality. Many of the lower silver overhead pipes will be added as well.

This photo served as the basis for modeling the metal building. Notice how the pipe enters the metal building and really does look like a drinking straw at the right angle bends.

Here is my scratchbuilt model of the structure. Many elevated pipes and details will be added here.

I also finished the small brick building which was mainly added to ease the transition of the curved backdrop. It was kitbashed from a Walthers sand house kit. The meter box and conduit hide a seam in the wall. The metal roofing is actual a paper product from Paper Creek Model Works!

To model the platforms, I had several photos to work from including this one. To the right you can see the t-stands which support smaller overhead pipes. Also notice that the power poles were placed in line with the t-stands. They were outfitted with the same support arm so the pipes ran on both sides of the pole as a result. Other details seen here are the narrow concrete platforms and the red paint at the bottom of the poles. Also notice that the pipes and poles only ran along every other platform.

In these next three photos, you can see my scratchbuilt t-stands and power poles. These have not yet been glued in place in case you notice some appear to be leaning. Per the prototype, the power poles have widely separated upper and lower cross arms.

Vertical pipes, oil drums and E-Z Line will soon be added and the track and platforms weathered. All of these details will be in place within the next two weeks. I’ll be sure and keep you updated!

Cliff Powers
www.magnoliaroute.com
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11051 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2011 :  06:17:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[:-thumbu]

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

USA
4392 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2011 :  10:24:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great progress, Cliff... As a retiree of an electric utility, I'm especially interested in following your progress with the power poles. The widely spaced crossarms (at least, that widely spaced) are unusual. EZ Line is really some great stuff - I've used it before and have been quite thankful of that it is so forgiving....
Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10448 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2011 :  2:48:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks really great Cliff! A very busy look indeed. I really like the roof on the brick building. I presume the weathering was printed on the material or did you add that? Either way, it's very real. Nice work as always!

Mark

Go to Top of Page

maandg
Engine Wiper

437 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2011 :  9:49:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit maandg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Guys! This is going to primarily be a photo update. I spent two days working on what appears to be a minor project, but it was extremely tedious and required a lot of cutting and fitting. I’m referring to the installation of the overhead pipes in the coach yard. I used a lot of fittings from various Walthers kits along with styrene tubing and rods. The pipes will continue to the left of the overhead truss to the opposite end of the platforms. You will see where the open ends of the fittings are ready to receive these additions. The track, platforms and pipes have been weathered and all that remains to be done is the addition of a few detail parts (oil drums, figures, etc.) and EZ Line power lines. These will be strung once all of the power poles are in place.

Before any other t-stands and overhead pipes can be installed, the Pullman building must first be completed. That will be the focus of my next update.

Mark, the weathering on the roof of the brick building is printed on the paper. Their products are very nice!

Wishing you all a Happy New Year!

Cliff Powers
www.magnoliaroute.com
Go to Top of Page

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

USA
5203 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2011 :  10:17:10 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well done, as usual! I look forward to seeing more progress.

Arthur

Cielo Vista Railway (on30)
Go to Top of Page

akimmons
Fireman

USA
1368 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2011 :  09:10:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cliff
That's awesome work on the piping. Very realistic. It must have required lots of patience. Thanks for updating us on your progress.

Arnold Kimmons
General Manager
Royal & Edisto Railroad
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19182
Go to Top of Page

Grubes
Engine Wiper

USA
360 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2011 :  12:29:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cliff,

As a long time admirer of your work, I'm never amazed at how quickly you can create a large and realistic scene. I think you've made an area that is relatively ugly on the prototype something to be stared at for its modeling beauty on your layout.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

maandg
Engine Wiper

437 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  8:15:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit maandg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Arthur, Arnold and Dave! I appreciate your comments!

I have completed work on the Pullman building and mounted it in place. The side walls were constructed in the same manner as the front. The roof was covered with a mix of buff ballast and two shades of brown craft sand. I still have to add details such as trash cans, crates and other clutter.

Once the building was in place, I was able to connect the overhead pipes to the side wall. Also added was a wooden Bar Mills fence to help create more depth with the backdrop. The power pole behind the pipes will be strung once the others are in place.

Another fence (this time a kitbashed Walthers kit) and concrete pilings have been added around the freight terminal parking lot to help separate scenes.

In this final shot taken from the other aisle you can see the Pullman building in relation to the coach yard scene. The overhead pipes will extend to the end of the unpainted balsa platform.

Completing the platforms will be the focus of my next update.

Thanks for following my progress!

Cliff Powers
www.magnoliaroute.com
Go to Top of Page

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

USA
606 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  8:26:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cliff,

More great craftsmanship on the Pullman building. Your weathering on the window frames is excellent. Another great scene! [:-thumbu]
Go to Top of Page

rutlandfan
Engine Wiper

Canada
270 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  8:29:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit rutlandfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That looks fantastic Cliff.

Phil

--
Phillip Blancher - Morrisburg, Ontario
Membership Chair, Rutland Railroad Historical Society - http://www.rutlandrr.org
Personal Sites: http://www.rutlandrailway.com | http://phillip.blancher.ca
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000