Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Brunton
Engine Wiper

USA
429 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  07:34:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Brunton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Cliff,

That's a very thorough answer to my rather simplistic question. Clearly you spent a lot of time thinking this out while planning the layout.

One last question - when are the operating sessions? [:-drool]

http://www.thecbandqinwyoming.com
http://www.thecbandqinwyoming.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

maandg
Engine Wiper

437 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  10:49:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit maandg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome back, everyone! Work has progressed nicely on the Railway Express Agency building. In fact, Iím already about 33% finished. If you recall, I started this project during the track-laying phase to make sure everything fit correctly. Once I began on the UPT, work on the REA came to a halt. This photo show how much work had been done up to that point.

Unlike the previous NOUPT structures, this one is being totally scratchbuilt from photos. As such, it will not be 100% accurate in size, dimension, or detail. It will, however, be pretty darn close. Here are a few of the photos I have used as references in this first phase of construction.

Please refer back to these as you go through the construction photos to see how close I came to the bullís eye.

Here is the overall building. The trusses came from several Bachmann Diesel Shop kits. They are very close to the size and pitch of the prototype. Everything else has been scratchbuilt from sheet styrene and Plastruct strips.

The building was surrounded by large garage-type doors. Even though I was modeling the structure with the doors open, I still wanted to include the doors in the raised position. This was largely due to the success I had with the baggage building. Unfortunately, I had no laser-cut doors this time around. As you can see from the second and fourth prototype photos, the doors featured two lower rows of closed panels and two upper rows of panels with windows. After having no luck in the Walthers catalog, I remembered that I had some City Classics warehouse windows. They were 4 panes high and 12 panes long. Even though that was two panels too long for the side wall doors, it was a reasonable compromise. The overall window was also not quite tall enough, but in the raised position, neither shortcoming is noticeable. The tracks were made with styrene strips. I like the finished effect.

This shot really gives a sense of the huge cavernous interior of the building. I think all of the raised doors add a lot of realism and interest. It would have looked very odd if they werenít there.

The far end wall was blocked in as was a small portion of the front wall. For this I used Plastruct sheet material. The windows were modified components from a Walthers kit. The elevated office features the same wall techniques with a Walthers staircase. The flat roof of the office is removable. Even though the office will be lit, I havenít decided if I will add interior detail or not. Knowing me, I probably will.

In this next shot, you will notice that details have been added. Notice, also, that the top sides of the doors are not finished. Thatís because the main roofs, which will feature long skylights, will not be removable. Thus, the top of the doors will never be seen. Brass wire conduit will be run through the trusses for the LEDís.

These next several photos will highlight the interior detailing. Most of the interior crates and boxes are from the Life-Like Scene-master line.

This last shot is my favorite thus far. Even without the roof, Iím pleased with how nice the trusses appear.

Next I will add the interior lighting and add the three outer canopies. These will also have lights. I should also have the roof installed by my next update. Iíll be off for Spring Break from March 12-21. I should have the entire building finished during that time.

Thanks so much to all of you who continue to stop by and comment. It is very much appreciated!

Cliff Powers
The Mississippi Alabama & Gulf
Please visit my layout website at
www.magnoliaroute.com

Edited by - maandg on 02/28/2010 11:06:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

chooch41
Crew Chief

Canada
962 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  10:53:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nuff said!

Brad
Go to Top of Page

Dave S
Engine Wiper

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  11:10:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cliff,

Obviously, this continues to be a labor of love for you while the project continues to be an extraordinary undertaking and wonderfully inspiring project for us to watch unfold. Mere mortals would have taken some time off to regroup while you forge ahead. Always looking forward to the next installment and more great photos.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10448 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  11:54:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cliff, you have definitely captured the look and feel of the prototype to an unbelieveable degree. The overhead doors are great, and you are correct that adding them definitely added to the overall scene since the interior of this building will obviously be easily viewable. I continue to be awed by your efforts with this project!

Mark

See my homepage at http://home.comcast.net/~prrndiv/
Go to Top of Page

eric719
New Hire

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  01:38:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic work!

Modeling BN in the Palouse
Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
11279 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  08:30:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cliff,

Somehow Iíve missed this thread and now that IĎve found it Iíll be following it with interest. I was impressed with your tower, and then I read your description of your rebuild and was blown away! I agree, the last pictures showing the roof trusses and interior detail is impressive.

Is the base of the REA just styrene, or is it built over some solid material?

George
Go to Top of Page

maandg
Engine Wiper

437 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  6:59:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit maandg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Brad, Dave, Mark, Eric and George! I appreciate your kind words!

George, the base is strictly built of styrene. Instead of having a solid core, the base is supported by a styrene skeleton underneath. It probably would have been smarter to create a core of, say, foam board or similar material. Nonetheless, the styrene is very rigid and sturdy.

Now that I look more closely at the photos, I am considering lowering the height of the open doors. Not in the sense of partially closing them, but rather having the tracks curve much closer to the top of the door opening. As it stands now, the tracks curve much too high above the opening.

If you compare these two photos, I think you will see the discrepancy.

On the model, the raised doors should be even with the bottom of the gray concrete above the opening. I'm going to look at correcting this tonight. However, if this is going to cause more damage than its worth, I'll just live with it. It still looks better than no doors at all. I'll report back with my decision.

Cliff Powers
www.magnoliaroute.com
Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10448 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  11:11:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I see what you mean Cliff. The bottom panels of the doors should be angled down a little, which would mean cutting, or scoring those window panels you are using to create that effect. That's a tough one! I'll give you credit if you pull it off, but frankly, I don't think many people would pick up on that. There's too many other things to stare at already on that model!

Mark

Go to Top of Page

B_A_R
Engine Wiper

129 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  09:55:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The look and feel is right on as usual, Cliff.
Go to Top of Page

maandg
Engine Wiper

437 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  10:11:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit maandg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome back everyone and continued thanks for sharing your kind comments or just stopping by!

The main focus of this installment will be interior lighting for the REA building. Once again, I have used my system of brass wire for the overhead conduit. In places where wires of different polarity cross, I use small sections of a clear insulated rail joiner. They snap easily over the brass wire and make a nice, barely-noticeable bridge. You can see an example of this in the following photo.

For the interior of the building, I once again utilized 3mm bright white LEDs. Grain of rice bulbs will be used under the sheds. I really like using the LEDs. They are simple to install, donít produce heat, and should last longer than I will! The next two photos show the LEDs soldered in place.

Also completed is the installation of the corrugated metal sheathing on the end walls. You can see this addition in these photos which show the building in place on the layout. The ramped platform under the forklift will be weathered to match the rest of the concrete base.

Sheds will cover the three platforms between the rows of express reefers.

The massive Gibbons Feed Mill (my next project) will be located to the right of the REA truck.

And here is the building with the LEDs illuminated. I am very pleased with the results. I hope you enjoy them as well.

I really love those last two shots. Night photography is a challenge, but I think Iím improving. I still have a long way to go. These final two photos show the NOUPT in the background. As always, I have saved my very favorite photo for last.

I had mentioned in my last post that I was contemplating having the overhead doors lowered. After much consideration, I decided to leave them alone. I realized that more damage would have been done than improvement.

I have already begun working on the roof and skylights. That and the perimeter sheds will be the focus of the next chapter in the Railway Express saga. I hope to see you then!

Cliff Powers
www.magnoliaroute.com

Edited by - maandg on 03/07/2010 11:26:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

BBLmber
Fireman

USA
4690 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  10:49:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So far that is one fantastic building and the lighting is beyound words.

Mark

W,L,&E
Go to Top of Page

Orionvp17
Fireman

USA
3662 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  11:21:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW!

The night shots are spectacular!

Pete
in Michigan
Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10448 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  12:56:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cliff, I always enjoy your posts and seeing your progress. The REA building has turned out fantastic! I really like your approach to interior lighting and will store that idea away for future reference. Yet another idea of your that I am stealing! [:-eyebrows]

Your night pictures are fabulous, but I have to tell you as I was scrolling down, when I got to the second to the last picture and saw the overall shot, well it took my breath away! Words can't describe it, but what you've accomplished, and still doing is simply amazing! That is one great looking scene during the day, but that night shot is incredible!

Mark

Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17637 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  01:44:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As always, your work is fabulous, Cliff.

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000