New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

MLW
Crew Chief

772 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  11:38:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit MLW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Top notch first class craftmanship[:-thumbu][:-thumbu]

Amazing workmanship

Thanks for sharing this

Syl
Go to Top of Page

Anders Wirten
Engine Wiper

Sweden
284 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  01:44:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don’t know how to describe this feeling but...
it hurts, it’s just that good.

Anders
Go to Top of Page

maandg
Engine Wiper

437 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2012 :  10:47:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit maandg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome back! I am now shifting my attention to the opposite end of the coach yard, the diesel shop. Here is a photo of the prototype building taken soon after its construction.

I realized that the Walthers diesel shop could be kitbashed into a reasonable representation of the prototype structure. I taped together the kit walls to determine the spacing of the tracks, and it has remained like this for the past few years.

Originally I was going to only model the two walls shown due to the curved backdrop. Instead I have moved the structure forward so that it clears the curve which will allow some additional depth to the background structure which will be added later. The tracks were shortened to fit within the repositioned footprint of the building. I also eliminated the far right bay as I only had room for four tracks. Once I made the necessary cuts, splices and modifications, this was the result.

Compare this to the prototype photo. While obviously not an exact replica, it does reflect the basic style and design of the original. Once the walls were completed, I created a balsa wood base to not only raise the structure slightly, but also provide a foundation for the styrene “floor” which will be added next.

This should be a fairly quick project. My next update will document completion of the floors and painting/weathering of the walls. Hope to see you then!

Cliff Powers
The Mississippi Alabama & Gulf
Please visit my layout website at
www.magnoliaroute.com

Edited by - maandg on 04/26/2012 7:21:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10341 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2012 :  2:56:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fairly quick? [:-bigeyes] That's scary, considering how quickly you 'normally' build something.

Always enjoy following your projects Cliff.

Mark

See my homepage at http://home.comcast.net/~prrndiv/
Go to Top of Page

maandg
Engine Wiper

437 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2012 :  8:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit maandg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mark!
I’ve made some more progress on my diesel shop. First, I added pieces cut from .010 styrene sheet to create the concrete floor. A layer of .030 topped with more .010 styrene was used between the rails. The floor was airbrushed with Model Master Acryl Camouflage Grey followed by a spray of alcohol/india ink. Here is the result.

Next I painted the lower concrete portion of the walls the same camo gray color. The remaining large windows were then added, and the entire structure was weathered with the india ink wash. After this dried, the acrylic glass was added to the windows.

Next I will add the interior structural steel, raised work platforms, and details. I’ll have that work to show you in my next update.

Cliff Powers
www.magnoliaroute.com
Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10341 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  11:46:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If the roundhouse is any indication of what you plan to do, the interior of this model should be incredible! It's coming along nicely Cliff. I like the effects of the india ink wash. I've tried that in the past but I didn't have the good results you did. Looks really nice.

Mark

Go to Top of Page

maandg
Engine Wiper

437 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  8:54:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit maandg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mark! Well, after two months, I’m finally back with some progress to share. A lot has happened in that time, including wrapping up my school year, our annual trip to Walt Disney World, and preparing to teach a new grade (first) after 14 years in Kindergarten – in a new school no less! However, over the course of the past week, I have managed to get quite a bit of work done. Let’s take a look!

First I completed work on the diesel shop. This involved completing the roof…

…installing an interior lighting system….

…and adding some interior detail. The platforms came with the Walthers kit. Since most of the interior will not be seen, I didn’t go to any great trouble here. I just added enough to give the impression of general clutter and contents.

Here is the completed structure – the lights have not been wired to the layout yet. Although pretty basic in design, I think it nicely emulates the prototype building.

I’ve also started on the area surrounding the diesel shop. To hide the last visible seam in the masonite backdrop, I knew I needed a fairly tall structure. To do this, I used a Korber Acme Nuts and Bolts modular kit.

I chose the Swift and Company name for several reasons. First, there was an actual Swift plant in New Orleans. Secondly, I found some really neat images to use for signage on the internet. Finally, I had several Classic Metal Works delivery trucks that would nicely fit the scene. I designed the kit to fit the space and hide the seam rather than reflect the prototype.

This photo shows how the tracks proceed into my five-track hidden staging yard. The track to the front passes through the Public Grain elevator to the riverfront pier. The rear track passes under the cut-away silo into staging. To take this photo required leaning way into the upper level benchwork – so these entry points will not be seen by operators or visitors. Notice, too, the cool billboard I made in CorelDraw 7. The can of bacon (Really??) image was found on the internet. The billboard structure itself is a Bar Mills kit.

To further hide the backdrop seam, I added this water tank by Korber. I used the logo to create a paper “wrapper” to go around the tank walls. Weathering chalk was used to blend it in with the rest of the kit.

I have also nearly completed a second background structure built from a Walthers Reliable Warehouse and Storage kit. This one will be a furniture factory. All that remains to do is add a roof and roof details.

Numerous backdrop photos will be used to give added depth to the scene, then the foreground scenery and details will be added.

I hope to have this entire corner completed by the end of July. Hope to see you again for my next post!

Cliff Powers
www.magnoliaroute.com
Go to Top of Page

Ensign
Fireman

Canada
5169 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  9:12:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Cliff,the diesel shop & the Swift's plant are looking very NICE!
Switching schools now are you,does this mean you get to do a railroad theme classroom 2 ? [:-bouncy]

Greg Shinnie
Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10341 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  11:25:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's been a while, but good to see you back at it Cliff. It looks great. I can't wait to see you pull your usual magic and transform this corner into another work of art!

Mark

Go to Top of Page

nhguy
Fireman

USA
4240 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  02:20:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I can see another highly detailed scene coming together. Bacon in a Can? Wow! I looked it up and it is even pre-cooked! That would keep it fresh on the shelf without refrigeration. Here's something interesting. Yoder's has the same thing that is available...for $16.49 a can! The artwork of the Swifts product is very interesting.

I also came across this web site. Looks very interesting.
http://www.vintageadbrowser.com/food-ads-1920s/9

Bill Shanaman
Superintendent, Chief Track Cleaner,
New Haven RR in the 1948 to 1952 era
PMRA President 2014-15, OpSIG Member
NCE User Since 1999
Sugar City, Colorado
Go to Top of Page

CVSNE
Engine Wiper

464 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  09:22:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit CVSNE's Homepage  Send CVSNE a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maandg

and preparing to teach a new grade (first) after 14 years in Kindergarten –

Wow Cliff, it took you 14 years to get out of Kindergarten?? Thought you were a lot brighter than that
(Sorry, couldn't resist. There was no A/C on the train into the city this morning - must have melted my brain....)

BTW, Layout, as always, looks fantastic.

And yes, you could buy canned bacon . . . Didn't have to be refrigerated.

Can't imagine how it would have tasted though.

Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA
Go to Top of Page

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

USA
4388 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  11:26:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Canned bacon - yummy! Anyway, great progress, Cliff. I occasionally drop by Dr. Nick Muff's house and view his progress in person, and think of your layout when I'm over there - you two are "two of a kind" when it comes to your model railroads.

Al Carter
Go to Top of Page

BandO Boy
Engine Wiper

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  8:06:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As always, Cliff, great stuff... can look @ your work for hours... just realized (duh) that three of my favorite modelers here on RRL Forums are from the teaching profession - Mike Hamer, Tom Johnson and Cliff Powers... hmmmmmmm, very interesting!

All the best -
Jim
Scotch Plains, NJ

"Proud of our past and confident in our future." - Superintendent, The Old Main Line, 1960
Go to Top of Page

maandg
Engine Wiper

437 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2012 :  1:05:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit maandg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys for your comments and congrats on finally moving beyond kindergarten! It is certainly a privilege to be grouped with Tom Johnson and Mike Hamer – they are two of my favorite modelers as well!

Well, I am pleased to announce that I have indeed completed this area of the layout. As such, this will be an unusually photo-heavy installment, so let’s get right to it! First, let’s take a look at the overall finished scene.

The backdrop photos were primarily printed from images included in the Railroad Graphics CD-ROM collection by LARC products. The large building seen here behind the Swift sign was one such print-out. I added the vintage Texaco billboard over an existing modern one in the photo. I was able to resize it so that it fit the existing fame perfectly. Even the shadow can be seen! The remainder of the backdrop buildings are a few left-over KingMill products.

The smaller kitbashed structure was modeled as the United Fruit Company which was famous for their Chiquita Bananas. The billboard was made from a Blair Line Custom kit with an added vintage logo I found on Google. Holmes Hardware was another Railroad Graphics image.

For the parking lot, I followed the same tile grout method I used with the MA&G Freight House. This time, temporary balsa strips were glued down to “form up” the edges, then removed when the glued grout was dry. The chain link fence was built over one balsa strip which was painted a concrete color. This idea was copied from an FSM Crocker Brothers Feed kit.

One neat detail I tried for the first time was adding overgrown vines to the fence. To do this, I brushed Aileen’s Tacky Glue to the fabric and posts, and then pressed on Woodland Scenics course turf. The glue is so thick and tacky that the excess ground foam can be vacuumed up immediately. I really like the results.

Finishing details in this area include Preiser figures, Walthers utility poles, Bar Mills oil drum and crate clusters, and EZ line filament for the power lines.

Now let’s take a look at the completed diesel shop. Two vertical oil tanks from a Walthers Interstate Fuel & Oil kit with a Tichy platform were added. The prototype had horizontal tanks, but I didn’t have enough room to model them in that configuration. The tank base was made from a section of Heki foam building sheet (#7013 Sidewalk) surrounded by balsa walls. A venerable Atlas elevated tower guards the crossing. Interior LED lights can be seen through the shop windows.

Ballasting was done on the approach tracks of the shop after more sections of Heki sidewalk material were glued down for the forthcoming fuel and sand facilities. These areas were located further down the tracks from the diesel shop on the prototype, so no such concrete platforms existed. Due to space restraints, I am forced to model these in front of the diesel shop; however, I think it will look good here. The large backdrop scene came from Scenic Express. A Walthers fence with stripwood posts helps ease the transition between the edge of the layout and the backdrop.

The interior lights will add a lot of atmosphere to night time Op Sessions as seen in these two photos.

I also finally built this Walthers wash rack. Unlike the sand and fuel facilities, the prototype wash rack was located pretty much where I have modeled it. To simulate water and detergent bubbles in the concrete basin, I brushed on a thick layer of Gloss Medium. By shaking the bottle first, bubbles of foam were created and applied to the base. They dried in place creating a really cool effect as seen in these photos.

My next project will be the fuel stands and a very unique kitbashed concrete sanding tower! Once those are finished, work will concentrate on connecting the back wall area between the diesel shop and the coach yard. This includes a kitbashed Lime Putty plant represented here by the assortment of tubes and silos.

It will also mark the completion of the entire layout backdrop with maybe three more photos to install. Once done, only a roughly 20 square foot area at the throat of the passenger terminal tracks remains to complete the entire layout. My goal is to have all of this done by the time my article in Great Model Railroads 2013 hits the newsstands on October 13th.

Here is a last look at this corner of the layout.

Thank for checking out my progress! See you soon!

Cliff Powers
www.magnoliaroute.com

Edited by - maandg on 07/29/2012 12:35:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
11200 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2012 :  4:10:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent work, Cliff. I like the way you curved the backdrop so your eye isn't drawn to a corner line. What radius did you use?

George
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000