Railroad Photography Forum
 As long as we're talking about rust....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

engineerkyle
Fireman

USA
1050 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  12:17:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I tried rather unsuccessfully to capture to purple iridescence of the rust on this Conrail. Does anyone have a good technique for this?

THANKS in advance....

{center}

[:-banghead]

k9wrangler
Engineer

USA
11243 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  09:55:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you tried any of the Folk Art brand METALLICs paint? They come in a full rainbow of colors including purple and red and mixed you might be pretty close to what you want. I've not done it but your post made me think that a moderate wash of the metallic paint in the area you want to 'irridesce' then a very light wash of regular color to tone it down MIGHT work. I've never spent the time to fiddle with much more than rudimentary weathering of train cars.

It appears you have really improved your techniques, Kyle, over some of your earlier stuff. The conrail car is quite nice.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line
Go to Top of Page

Rick
Administrator

USA
23708 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  09:59:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kyle, you may not have nailed the color perfectly, but the texture and everything else is a home run. Very nice. [:-thumbu]
Go to Top of Page

deemery
Fireman

USA
8418 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  10:01:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you went too far on the purple. Try playing with a little bit of gunmetal or even very cut-down silver. You want just a very little bit of blue into an otherwise neutral gray (with a little bit of metallic in it.) Or, if you have artist's colors, try Payne's Gray.

But I don't think the purple looks all that bad. Try doing some gray chalks over the purple to tone it down a little bit more. Where it's most glaring is over the white lettering.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)
Go to Top of Page

slimrails

USA
8473 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  10:26:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kyle...I wouldn't change a thing! [:-bigmouth] [:-thumbu]
Go to Top of Page

hon3_rr
Fireman

USA
7237 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  12:03:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First of all, I think you have done excellent work. But to answer your question, you may want to look at:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25712&whichpage=14
I have documented (mostly towards the bottom of the pages) on pages 14 and 15 how I colored the ore gate, and it does have that purple-violet color you are looking for in a couple of different steps. How strong the purple hue comes through depends on the step you are at and how strong or diluted your washes are, in addition to the lighting the model is viewed under. Feel free to post any additonal questions you may have, and I hope this helps get you started in your 'color' quest.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.
Go to Top of Page

engineerkyle
Fireman

USA
1050 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  2:54:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys,

This reference from KP is JUST what I needed;

The how-to for the rusty gate is on the bottom of page 15....

Go to Top of Page

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

USA
2456 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  4:10:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote
KP made that excellent rusty-violet blush by adding a 'metalizer' to his Vallejo paint.

Artist's metalic and irridescent oils, acrylics, and watercolors are made by introducing tiny mica flakes into the paint. You can buy them ready-made from Daniel Smith.com or you can make them yourself.
Here's how:
http://www.artfuncheap.com/art-supplies/watercolors/glittery-and-metallic-paints
-Dave

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

hon3_rr
Fireman

USA
7237 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  5:45:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave and Kyle; Thanks for the complements.
I did want note that to produce a dull metal 'sheen' a final Satin Varnish (paint number 522 Model Color line) diluted 3:1 (water:paint) was applied, making sure to wick away with a dry brush any excess wash which had accumulated in the corners and along seam lines. No 'metalizer' was used.

In my experiments with the 'metalizer' (Vallejo Metal Medium paint number 521 Model Color line) a more white-silver effect is established where the Satin Varnish is more of a low level 'gloss' coat. I have noted a large shift towards 'white' when using the metal medium in the **few** times I have used it. I don't know if other brand "metalizer's" work like a gloss coat, so I can't really speak to that, but it would not surprise me if that is Dave's experience. It could also be that Dave and I work with different paint ratios, which appears to strongly affect the Vallejo paint line.

I would post a picture here of the 'white' effect, but my camera is not up to the task using inside lighting and it's about to snow outside, thus no sunlight. I'll start a new thread on the use of Vallejo paints, so we can all post our experience with them, as soon as I can get some reasonable pictures. I still have lots of questions about how to use the Vallejo paints, as they are not quite the same animal which most of us are used to, at least in my limited experience.

[:-dunce]Also, if anyone really understands the difference in the 'Gloss Medium' vs. 'Glaze Medium', please speak up. I, for one, am really confused and not sure where to start playing to determine how to extract the benefits of each medium. I have not been able to locate any strong comments/web tutorials on this for the Vallejo paint line.[:-dunce]

-- KP --

Edited by - hon3_rr on 01/27/2010 5:59:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

USA
2456 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  8:29:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hon3_rr

]...if anyone really understands the difference in the 'Gloss Medium' vs. 'Glaze Medium', please speak up. I, for one, am really confused and not sure where to start playing to determine how to extract the benefits of each medium. I have not been able to locate any strong comments/web tutorials on this for the Vallejo paint line.

You seem to be especially curious about the technical side of painting, so may I suggest you do a bit of reading on the subject. The Artist's Handbook of Materials and Techniques by Ralph Mayer or The Artist's Handbook of Materials and Techniques by Mark David Gottsegen would be good places to start.

Are 'Gloss Medium' and 'Glaze Medium' Vallejo products? Some paint lines sell the identical color or medium under different names to widen their customer appeal. If those two mediums aren't the same I'd guess that the 'glaze' might be slightly less viscous for easier brushing.
-Dave

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

hon3_rr
Fireman

USA
7237 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  9:06:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave for the suggestions, I'll be making a visit to my local library soon.

As for the 'Gloss Medium' and 'Glaze Medium', yes, they are two different mediums offered in the Vallejo Model Color line. I suspect that both are to be mixed with other colors, with one of the mediums slowing the drying time, **I think**. I'm thinking that they are used the same way as in artist oils, but again, not really sure how to apply them and the benifits. I hope one of your suggested readings may provide some insight.

-- KP --
Go to Top of Page

kirk
Fireman

Sweden
4927 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  12:22:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been asked to explain the difference between gloss and glaze mediums... I never use any medium in my painting, but have students who do. Gloss medium when mixed with a color provides a glossier sheen to the dry color, normally acrylics dru matt to silky. Glaze medium just makes the color thinner, but keeps the viscosity thich. It is for thin washes/glazes when you want to avoid running/poodling. Both mediums a clear and doesn't change the initial color. There are by the way iridescent mediums too!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden
Go to Top of Page

hon3_rr
Fireman

USA
7237 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  11:19:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great... Thanks Troels! You explination helps a lot.

-- KP --
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 11.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000