Railroad Photography Forum
 Pennsylvania Lumber Museum
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

George D

USA
14565 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  10:35:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While driving through northern Pennsylvania last fall we stumbled across the Pennsylvania Lumber Museum. Unfortunately it was closed, but fortunately they had some outside displays Ė specifically this little log car. There werenít any information placards around, but it appears the metal work is original and the wood new.

George

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

USA
2456 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  02:13:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote
George, I couldn't help but notice the similarity between your car and one that was made by Mehano (later Intl. Hobby Corp.) and was sold by Walthers a few years ago:

The plastic car was part of an inexpensive HO Barnhart Log Loader set. I believe Keystone Locomotive Works still makes a similar car.

The crane ran along the rails on the top of the cars and moved down the train as it loaded each car with logs.

Judging from your car's wood beam trucks and link-and-pin couplers it must be very old. Below are some pix of a Barnhart loader train I saw at Cass, WV in 1981. These cars were all metal but the principle was the same:

-Dave

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
30740 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  07:41:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice find, George. Too bad the museum was closed. Your post sent me to the web to see if the museum had a website. Is this the place?

http://www.lumbermuseum.org/index.php
Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
14565 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  08:29:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, I figured those rails were for a Barnhart loader. Those cars at Cass look like a modern version of the ones in Pennsylvania. I think the wooden ones would be easier to scratchbuild Ė just upgrade them to knuckle couplers.

Yes Bruce, thatís the place. If Iím ever back up that way again, Iím going to check and see if they are open.

George
Go to Top of Page

wvrr
Fireman

6469 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  09:34:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a gorgeous area of Pennsylvania, George. You aren't far from the Grand Canyon of PA. Did you do any cycling while you were there?
http://www.visittiogapa.com/maps.html

That was a big area for lumber, as I recall.

Chuck
Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  09:59:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This looks like a neat place to visit, George. And thanks for the link, Bruce - the "Tour of Grounds" page has clickable links for additional information about the various structures and operations.

Here's their 'Winter Schedule' (copied from the bottom of the Home page):

Today is
Friday, January 8, 2010

Winter Schedule: December 1 through March 31
The Museum is open on Saturday and Sunday, 9:00am to 5:00pm.
Open by chance or by appointment on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
The Museum is closed on winter holidays.

PO Box 239 Š 5660 US Route 6 West Š Galeton, Pennsylvania 16922
(814) 435-2652
info@lumbermuseum.org

Go to Top of Page

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

USA
2456 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  4:14:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I found a photo of the Barnhart Loader being restored at the Pennsylvania Lumber Museum:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32686180@N08/3165120695/
The furniture-like face of the machine is simply amazing! ("More coal for the boiler and some Lemon Pledge, please!") The caption says that this is the only surviving Barnhart log loader. If true, the one I photographed at Cass must be a knock-off or a later generic version.

The wood log car at the museum seems to have no brakes. The Mehano model does have a simulated K brake. I don't know if the Keystone kit models brakes or not.

The metal log cars at Cass were equiped with K brakes as can be seen here:

They also had "modern" knuckle couplers and trucks.

George, I agree that scratchbuilding the wood prototype car would be somewhat easier than the metal one, but even that would be no walk in the park with all those bolts and fine iron strapping. If I were to scratchbuild a model of the metal car I'd use sheet styrene.
-Dave

-Dave

Edited by - Thorn Creek and Western on 01/08/2010 4:19:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
14565 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  5:31:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, that would have been nice country for a bike ride, but I didnít bring it on that trip.

Dave, that picture of the Barnhart loader is interesting. Youíre right, thatís some beautiful woodwork. More like what youíd see on an old sailing ship but not a log loader. I wonder what the story is on the loader at Cass. No brakes? Ė I donít think safety wasnít a big concern in those days.

George

Go to Top of Page

Sully
Fireman

USA
2667 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  11:41:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorta makes ya want to build an On30 logging module to the JRD/Mid Atlantic standards, eh Grorge![:-eyebrows]
Go to Top of Page

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

USA
5879 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  1:04:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Neat find, I really like the photos and the weathered wood detail on the cedar siding.

The rail looks lightweight, something like 55# or lighter.
Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
14565 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  1:53:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom, youíre always looking for a sinister motive for my actions.

Tim, I noticed that too, and should have taken a few pictures of the buildings, but didnít.

George
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000