Railroad Photography Forum
 Weathering Athearns
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

engineerkyle
Fireman

USA
1050 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  9:41:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,

I got a whole box of the now discontinued Athearn blue boxes. I was happy to pay $2.66 each.

I know they are cheapos but I like to add metal wheels and Kadee #5's, and weather them up. Here are a few....

Neil M
Fireman

Australia
2487 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  05:00:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the barrel topped express reefer. It's always been one of my favourite athearn models

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia
Go to Top of Page

LynnB
Fireman

Canada
2365 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  06:47:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They do look very good, amazing what good couplers and metal wheels do for what we consider a cheapo rolling stock.
Go to Top of Page

AVRR-PA
Fireman

USA
5005 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  10:01:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent! Nobody but a contest judge would notice that they started out as Blue Box models. The would be a welcome addition on any layout.

Don
Go to Top of Page

James VanB
Crew Chief

Canada
523 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  10:21:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit James VanB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice Kyle! [:-thumbu]

That was a good deal. You make them look really good with your weathering. Metal wheels and kadees help lots too. Something else you could do is to cut the steps off and add a piece of wire instead.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Wendt
New Hire

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  3:33:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice. Show us more.

Simplicity is a long process of complication.
Go to Top of Page

Peterpools
Engineer

USA
12335 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  4:14:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kyle
It's amazing what a delicate hand can do when it comes to weathering. Kadees and metal wheel sets certainly helped changed those "cheapos" into "keepers".
Peter
Go to Top of Page

brakie
Fireman

USA
6979 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  11:46:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice Kyle!

Who makes the machines on the PRR flat?
Go to Top of Page

engineerkyle
Fireman

USA
1050 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  2:26:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brakie

Very nice Kyle!

Who makes the machines on the PRR flat?

Don't know, Brakie.... I was tearing apart a glass factory kit I got for 2 bucks at a train show and they were inside.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000