Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

bkempins
Engine Wiper

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  1:29:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit bkempins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Philip

Ok how bout a close-up?

teasing us?

King of battle

Philip

There are my pics on my blog usmrr.blogspot.com.
Go to Top of Page

bkempins
Engine Wiper

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  1:34:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit bkempins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wulf

Bernard;
Very impressive! Love what you did w/ the Potomac Creek bridge - I'm in need of some gap-crossing as well and the Haupt book sounds intriguing - which edition did you use? (I scored the 1888 from open library.org)
Thanks,

I posted an embedded copy of the Goggle version of Haupt's bridge book on my blog. The Potomac Creek Bridge was similar to the standard he describes in the book, but there were some differences.
Go to Top of Page

bkempins
Engine Wiper

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  1:38:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit bkempins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

Hi Bernie,

I found it interesting that there are ties laid right on top of the deck timbers. Was that common practice? Why did they do that vs. spiking the rail to the deck timbers, directly?

Chuck

On this bridge, the rails were spiked through the ties into the stringers. The ties were not the standard thickness. The stringers rested on bridge beams spanning the truss. The truss held up the ends of the bridge beams. There may be iron rod connecting the stringers, but I am not sure.

Later wooden bridges used different techniques with more closely spaces bridge ties on beefier stringers. The spikes generally do not penetrate into the stringers.
Go to Top of Page

wvrr
Fireman

5239 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  1:49:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bernie! It makes for a great scene!

Chuck

Wyoming Valley Railroad
http://sites.google.com/site/wvrails/
Go to Top of Page

Wulf
Engine Wiper

Canada
138 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  6:08:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bkempins

quote:
Originally posted by Wulf

Bernard;
Very impressive! Love what you did w/ the Potomac Creek bridge - I'm in need of some gap-crossing as well and the Haupt book sounds intriguing - which edition did you use? (I scored the 1888 from open library.org)
Thanks,

I posted an embedded copy of the Goggle version of Haupt's bridge book on my blog. The Potomac Creek Bridge was similar to the standard he describes in the book, but there were some differences.

Thanks muchly - Won't be doing the Potomac (not knowing there's one way better than I could do already ) but Haupt looks like a perfect source for coming up with an authentic solution
Go to Top of Page

bkempins
Engine Wiper

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  1:35:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit bkempins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I detailed a couple carriages with laser cut parts and they look good. Here is an in-progress photo before the tires and strapping over the trunnions are added. I like how the trail spike detail came out using laser cut parts. I was concerned that I may have to etch these, but the laser cut parts worked great. This is a 3" Ordnance Rifle, one of the more common Union guns.

Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11035 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  2:13:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good, for a yankee cannon that is.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

toptrain
Engine Wiper

USA
369 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  11:43:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just found out this is O & S scale. These are HO.

Edited by - toptrain on 04/25/2010 3:41:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11035 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  5:20:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which is HO?

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 04/25/2010 5:21:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

bkempins
Engine Wiper

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2010 :  11:40:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit bkempins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I took a break from benchwork and track laying to build a structure.

This farmhouse is based loosely on the Lydia Leister House at Gettysburg. I put some construction notes here:
http://usmrr.blogspot.com/2010/05/building-farm-house.html

Edited by - bkempins on 05/14/2010 11:41:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11035 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2010 :  07:45:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking house!

Mike
Go to Top of Page

bkempins
Engine Wiper

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  12:39:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit bkempins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I made a lot of progress on the backdrops in the Aquia Landing area. This part of the layout is ready for track laying.

http://usmrr.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Neil M
Fireman

Australia
2264 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  1:02:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Woohoo! Spectacular backdrop. I like that a lot

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11035 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  1:52:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[:-thumbu]

Mike
Go to Top of Page

bkempins
Engine Wiper

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  1:45:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit bkempins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Working Brakes?!....No, I'm not crazy.... well, not about this at least. I just installed the test etches for the brake parts on one of my O scale wood beam trucks. The brakes work, pretty much just like the real ones. This means that adding working brakes to my cars is just a matter of building the kits, as the design works without too much fiddling. More detail and photos at http://usmrr.blogspot.com

Edited by - bkempins on 06/04/2010 1:46:21 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.32 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000