Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 77

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

USA
5186 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  6:24:26 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Scott, I love the pictures. You have such a great layout- excellent quality and attention to detail! I hope to see much more.

Arthur

Arthur

Cielo Vista Railway (on30)
Go to Top of Page

BBLmber
Fireman

USA
4672 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  6:53:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott, looks like quite a complex, it is going to be a great place to switchout those ore cars.

Mark

W,L,&E
Go to Top of Page

Locoman
Fireman

USA
1560 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  11:44:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Scott. I agree with Frederic, like the way it just seems to grow and grow. Also I how you have it brideing the tracks. You might need to add some extra braces spanning over the tracks, under the green and yellow buildings.
Go to Top of Page

Ohio_Shay_2008
Engine Wiper

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  1:01:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
scott,

great work, i have really enjoyed your website and the videso on youtube!

i was wondering if you could elaborate more on your building technique, i think i saw that you mentioned foam core board? would you care to talk a little bit more about that process or if you have pictures of the process would you care to share them with us all?

keep up the great work!!

dave
Go to Top of Page

jcoop
Fireman

USA
1263 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  1:08:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See Scott, You need to make a DVD of your Buildings.

John

Sitting along side the orignal Central Pacific Rail Road.

Home of The Great On30 Barn Meet, that will be held May 17th 2014
Go to Top of Page

scott robertson
Crew Chief

USA
620 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  1:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit scott robertson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the input. The little buildings are "holding" spots right now. However, my intention is to construct so that they look like they were added over time and of different materials (great minds think alike...). I intend to add a spoil pile off to the left in to the corner and some shacks clinging to the side of the hill on raised platforms. I agree with the need for more bracing over the tracks and I intend to add soon. I may also extend the buildings out over the rails in a cantalivered affect just to make a little more dramatic. Outhouses will also be added in the same way with piping coming out and heading down (S#*! has to go somewhere...). As for the building construction, many have inquired. It is really rather simple. I use a lot of printed paper "photo textures" (that I down load FREE from www.cgtextures.com). I then make my own sheets of siding, roofing, doors, etc. I use these much like you would the "Paper Creek" product, except I mount the paper on foam core and I use Grant Line windows and doors (most of the time). For the most part I design my own buildings (usually making it up as I go along), or use pictures of the real thing, or other models for inspiration. As John mentioned, others have been suggesting I make a DVD on my methods, though I am not sure what it is I would bring to the table that has not already been said in the past by others. I guess I will need to give this some more thought.

Thanks again for your input. This Forum is very inspiring and pushes me to try and keep up with all the great modeling around the world! Scott
Go to Top of Page

Ohio_Shay_2008
Engine Wiper

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  1:42:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
scott,

what do you use to cut the board?

do you just use the famous xacto #11?

thanks for the help, would still love to see some more pics if not the dvd :)

dave
Go to Top of Page

scott robertson
Crew Chief

USA
620 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  3:18:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit scott robertson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The basic tools for cutting foam core is the trusty #11 02 #2 Xacto knife. I use scrap 1/4 inch or 3/8 balsa for extra framing and to keep things square. I use spray glue from Lowes Home improvement stores (spray the paper and the board then stick together. I use foam core 93.8" thickness) because I get the left overs via my work (we use it to mount exhibits - the price is right!) and it is easy to cut and it is sturdy. It is also pretty cheap if you need to buy it from a craft store or art supply store. I usually cut out the windows after the paper is mounted. I loosely mark the area and cut out the window opening by hand - no straight edge-just make it a little smaller and the window will slip right in snuggly. I use a little weather chalk / powder to knock down some of the paper sheane (depending on printer and paper quality) and to add a little weathering where need. i buildup corner boards using strips of the same paper texture mounted on thin card board (any type will do). If I want a painted corner board I might just use strip wood. Hope this brief overview helps until I can work up something more elaborate. Scott
Go to Top of Page

BBLmber
Fireman

USA
4672 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  9:59:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott, how thick is your foamcore in fractional thickness?

Mark

W,L,&E
Go to Top of Page

scott robertson
Crew Chief

USA
620 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  01:30:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit scott robertson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OOOOOPs. Thats 3/8". Sorry.
Go to Top of Page

Locoman
Fireman

USA
1560 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  07:58:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott, thanks for the link to CGtextures and description on how you build. I signed up for some free down loads.
Go to Top of Page

scott robertson
Crew Chief

USA
620 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  12:32:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit scott robertson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OOOOOOOOOPS again! The foam core size is 3/16" (almost 1/4") NOT 3/8". Sorry again.
Scott
Go to Top of Page

BBLmber
Fireman

USA
4672 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  2:33:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Scott, you know I have that problem somedays.[:-banghead]

Mark

W,L,&E

Edited by - BBLmber on 03/15/2010 2:35:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

scott robertson
Crew Chief

USA
620 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  4:16:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit scott robertson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have made a little progress on my mine scene area, including about 90% complete on the main structure and various out buildings. Attached are some recent photos of the basic structures. I am going to call the mine "A. Frendly Mine" and then have a bunch of signs stating "keep out", "this means you", "no trespassing", "trespassers will be shot on sight".

Go to Top of Page

Jim Ellis
New Hire

24 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  4:47:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Scott,

Nice job on the mine! When can I come over to see it in person?

Jim Ellis
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 77 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000