Page: of 16

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  7:44:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eric719

Mighty fine looking yard you got there. Thanks for the photos.

Eric

Eric-
Appreciate your kind words and thanks for checking it out. Hoping to get more posted soon.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26375
Go to Top of Page

MikeMc
Engine Wiper

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2010 :  11:22:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit MikeMc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Matt,

I somehow missed this thread before, so I just read through it all to get caught up. Layout looks great! Looks like it will be really fun to operate. Let me know about future work sessions if you need an extra hand. I have band practice on Monday's, but occasionally I am free and could come over to help out some.

Mike McNamara
Delran, NJ
Go to Top of Page

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

USA
606 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  11:59:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now the 'Cliff Powers' brackets are showing up all over South Jersey.

Thanks for the updates and the great pictures. This is going to be an empire, when the op sessions start.

Eric
Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10365 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  3:29:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Any updates Matt? When's the next work session? I'm catching up to you! [:-eyebrows]

Mark

See my homepage at http://home.comcast.net/~prrndiv/
Go to Top of Page

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  9:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike & Eric-

Thanks for stopping by and reviewing the thread. Mike-thanks for the offer, we can catch up off-line. Eric-Mark & I were reviewing Cliff's site looking at the lighting not really paying much attention to the brackets until I pointed them out to Mark, we got Bruce involved and VOILA!!! Now they're everywhere-again kudos off to Cliff for the idea.

Go to Top of Page

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  9:52:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay Mark-here's an update, if it even qualifies as one. Peer pressure-what a b*&^$!!!

As Mark has pointed out, haven't had a work session in awhile. Been coaching baseball, soccer, attending softball and gymnastics and a flurry of birthdays in our house. But some progress has been made.

Here's the start of the 2nd level coming off the helix (or from an operational standpoint-going back into the helix). This area is slated to be Weirton W.Va. Only the interchange yard and a few local industries off the main will be here. Sorry steel fans the mill complex won't be captured here. There will be 2 others on the layout.

I originally built the supporting benchwork out of 1x3's but they posed a significant problem with the grade out of the helix. I have 18" between the decks. The turns in the helix only covered 16" of this separation leaving a variance of 2" to cover in less than 24". One hell of a grade. So down everything came, wall brackets and all. After chatting with SteamNut via e-mail, the decision was made to go to 1x2's and adjust the bracket heights to accommodate the change. The framework for the section closest to the helix is set at 16" height, to match the height in the helix.(see the 3rd and 4th pics)The front 5-1/2" is set at a 2% grade to reach the desired 18" height between decks. For the rear 12-1/2" on this section, I doubled up the 1x2's to keep this height a true 18" above the lower deck. In my opinion, I think it came out pretty good. I painted all the underside gloss white to reflect the light. The only thing left for me to do here is paint the topside of the homasote.

This shot is an overview of "Weirton" from the bifold doors. Roughly 13' in length and between 18"-20" wide.

Overview from side at same point. Quick clamps in place until this section is secured down. Good view of the 1x2 framework. You can see the "offset" further down in the picture to address the 16" helix height up to the 18" deck height.

Sideview of the section as seen from layout closest to helix. Here you can see the 5-1/2" section set at 2% grade up to the deck height of 18". This stretch runs about 80".

As seen from the helix. Here you can see where I had to "split" the benchwork.

Here's a quick shot of the underside.

Thanks for taking the time to review. Please if anyone has any "pearls" to offer, I'm all ears.

PS-Mark-not bad for a "solo" act on his first layout, huh? Touche'

Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10365 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  11:14:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No Matt, in fact, that's really good progress! It looks great. I'm beginning to feel like you don't need us anymore!

Good job on painting the underside of the upper level benchwork. That's what I was doing tonight. Fun, isn't it?

Mark

Go to Top of Page

Harsco
Fireman

USA
1200 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  4:07:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Matt, looking VERY impressive...I can almost smell the semi-bitter "tang" of hot coke lingering in the room. As far as bench work goes, it looks strong and sturdy, but don't go by me...I NEVER show anyone what my carpentry skills look like..LOL
Go to Top of Page

Red P
Crew Chief

USA
976 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  11:24:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Red P a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Matt your progress is looking. Im looking forward to seeing some PC trains.
P

http://pcpanhandle.shutterfly.com/
Go to Top of Page

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2010 :  12:09:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One year ago I started the thread for my layout. Can't believe it's gone by so quickly. Thought this would be a good opportunity to post 2009 vs 2010 pics showing the "progress" of the layout. My last post was over 3 months ago so this is long overdue. Have to extend my gratitude to Bruce, Mark, Rick and recent addition to the crew, Bob for all of their help in getting me to where I am today. I'm very close now to having the top level completed ready for the mainline and then I can say "I can run trains!!!" Would not be here if it weren't for them. Thanks for checking in, hope you enjoy.

Looking away from helix

Looking towards the helix

Go to Top of Page

dnhman
Fireman

USA
1056 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2010 :  09:19:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job Matt, That's a lot of trackwork you have there,, Very neat too.
Keep up the progress,,

Cheers!, Joe
Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10365 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2010 :  09:47:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Look good Matt! It's fun, and motivating to look back sometimes, isn't it? You have gotten a lot done. So whens the next work session?

Mark

Go to Top of Page

Harsco
Fireman

USA
1200 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  05:47:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Based on your career and family commitments, I'd say you made great progress...don't stop now, Matt!
Go to Top of Page

hunter48820
Fireman

USA
6101 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  09:46:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Matt,
It's looking really nice. You are making great progress!!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI
Go to Top of Page

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

USA
606 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  11:22:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Matt,

You moved some of the light fixtures. How does this fit into the plan?

Eric

PS: The progress is amazing and you still get to some op sessions. Sleep is over rated.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000