Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  6:31:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And forgot the Proto 2000, PC Alco RS-27 (sound)

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26375
Go to Top of Page

Red P
Crew Chief

USA
978 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  8:26:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Red P a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Cool,
A lot of that stuff, I cant use because I model the western part of the system, Indiana was mostly EMD GE and alco centuries.
As a side note all the FMs were sent to work around chicago.
P

http://pcpanhandle.shutterfly.com/
Go to Top of Page

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  9:48:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Red P-
Hear ya about the FM's but had to have the #5158-Atlas did a nice job on them. One of the Trainmasters will be white lined and numbered 06707 similar to what was seen in Pennsy Diesel Years. It'll be on a through train dead-in-tow headed to Altoona for scrap.

I'm not going to be able to use the P&LE '38's either. They got their own in '77, bought a batch 2nd hand from the Rock in late '80 and picked up the others from UP via CR(ex-PC) in early '85. My plans for them are to pick up some undec or PC shells and swap them out. The P&LE U-boats were leased out to parent PC however. Some even painted into full PC paint with a P&LE subscript under the road number on the cab.

Go to Top of Page

Red P
Crew Chief

USA
978 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  10:06:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Red P a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think for your territory you will need lots of Alco centuries and EMD SDs
P

http://pcpanhandle.shutterfly.com/
Go to Top of Page

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  9:35:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a quick update on progress since the last work session prior to next week's planned work night. While not moving as fast as I'd like, IMO, my progress has been at least steady and in the right direction. Hopefully the weather will cooperate for a change and I'll be able to get the guys over for the work session. Thanks for taking the time to review the thread. Enjoy.

View looking south of Mingo Yard. The mainline is completely in on the 1st level. Here you can see the bridge that was built by SteamNut. The Central Valley girder bridge and WS risers (white foam) on the right will hold the lead from the yard. The risers are necessary due to a grade leading into the yard. The 2 turnouts off the main will serve 3 local industries.

Closer view of mainline south of yard.

Transition out of helix in place. The empty area to the right will hold a local industry that is served off the turnout to the right in the previous pictures. The pic on the left is a close up and the right pic is a broader view.

This picture is the view coming into the yard still looking southward. The yard will be located to the right of the mainline. And to the left of the main, the building in the picture will be the refractory warehouse (cut down Water Street Freight Terminal) and the 3-way switch will serve the mill's car repair facility.

Another view looking south along the mainline. To the right will be Mingo Yard and the 2nd set of tracks to the left of the main are the steel mill leads that were laid in Code 83. In the far corner in the left you can see the refractory warehouse from the previous pic and just to the right of the bump out in the wall you can see "Barrett's Bridge." In the foreground of this pic, the turnout coming off the main to the right is the start of what will be the A&D tracks.

Till next time...

Go to Top of Page

dnhman
Fireman

USA
1058 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  10:28:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great progress Matt, Your at my favorite part of construction,, track laying,,,Keep going!
Joe

Cheers!, Joe
Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10474 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  01:22:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow Matt, you have made some serious progress! Great job! I guess my next job is laying out the yard, right? See you Monday!

Mark

See my homepage at http://home.comcast.net/~prrndiv/
Go to Top of Page

Grubes
Engine Wiper

USA
360 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  07:16:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress Matt. Really coming along well. I'm amazed at the size of your engine roster.

Look forward to hearing more.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Harsco
Fireman

USA
1202 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  07:34:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoa...obviously someone has been working overtime! Looks great...I can almost picture a pair of six-axle "worms-in-love" locos lugging a long ore train into Mingo...
Go to Top of Page

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  4:24:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe, Mark, Dave and Rick-thanks for taking the time to read the update. Hoping to have another by end of this coming week.

Joe-laying the track down is enjoyable (a learning process too...) Just can't wait to having to get the feeders put in.

Mark-you read my mind. Bruce said you're the master at yards.

Dave-thanks for taking the time to review the thread. Just wish the roster all had the decoders already[:-weepn] The experts tell me I'm a little short still (20+ more?)

Rick-Can't wait to get those ore trains running!!! Overtime? Hardly, you still need to teach me the art of "futzing around." LOL.

Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10474 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  5:27:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prrmatt

Rick-Can't wait to get those ore trains running!!! Overtime? Hardly, you still need to teach me the art of "futzing around." LOL.

Matt, I couldn't agree more! Rick's "futzing" yields some incredible results, doesn't it? I can't wait until I get to the "futzing" stage myself!

Mark

Go to Top of Page

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2010 :  12:00:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time for another update. I have held a couple of work nights since the last update and feel significant progress has been made. The last work session consisted of Mark, Rick and myself doing a long overdue and much needed planning/review night. As a result of that night, with their insight, I think the layout is going to be able to accommodate a 2nd steel mill on the 2nd level. This would be consistent with the actual Mingo/Steubenville OH area. Also, I'm focused solely on getting the 2nd level into place now and have started to install the brackets as seen on Mark's updates to support the upper level. Thanks for taking the time to review the thread-enjoy!!!

Here's the pics of Mingo Yard laid out.

View from the opposite end-

Switches off the main "south" of Mingo Yard to service local industries. You can see that towards the top middle of the pic, that I've started to attempt to "weather" the track with the Camo Brown paint too. The track in the area that will be the start of Steubenville has been completely weathered.

Here's a closer look at the end of the local tracks. The main tracks have been weathered as compared to the local tracks to either side. The track superimposed on top of the track will soon have a switch installed to access an industry that will be built from the Heritage Furniture background building.

This is a shot of what a local would look like crossing over the main to access the yard crossing "Barrett Bridge." Can't wait for this to actually happen on the layout.

And finally, the infamous brackets. Definitely the way to go. As I stated on Mark's thread, props out to Cliff Powers-as we shamelessly borrowed his method from his website when we were going over his lighting for the upper levels.

We were able to score the black brackets at the local Lowe's on clearance for $1.06 for the 12" brackets and $1.51 for the 16". Beats the normal $6-7 price range. A little white paint and we're good to go. But if you notice in the 2nd picture, I inverted my brackets to compensate for the 1/8" offset that are on the wall brackets. They are intended to be used with a horizontal wall bracket that acts to not only support the pieces from above but also to provide a level starting point. Not needed here in this application though. If you mount them with the offset to the top, when you tie them to the wall stud, they will inch up and no longer be plumb and screws up the level of the benchwork. I was cheating in putting in the top half way, then installing the bottom flush with the wall and then going back and tightening up the top. After discussing these same challenges with SteamNut (they encountered at Mark's)-he suggested flipping them over-which does the trick so far. We'll see when we get the benchwork up but so far so good. I need 8 more wall brackets to finish up the supports and will be ready to install the benchwork. I spent last weekend ripping plywood down to size to prepare to get started. Hope to be able to update on this soon. Thanks again for reading.

Go to Top of Page

eric719
New Hire

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2010 :  12:53:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mighty fine looking yard you got there. Thanks for the photos.

Eric

Modeling BN in the Palouse
Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10474 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2010 :  01:11:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow Matt, great progress! It seems like a race going on here... who will have his second level done first!

All kidding aside, looks like we need a worknight at your place to get the rest of that benchwork up.

Mark

Go to Top of Page

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  5:28:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

Wow Matt, great progress! It seems like a race going on here... who will have his second level done first!

Mark-progress yes but not a race I'd win. Especially when you keep Bruce locked in your basement-LOL!!!
I'm content keeping things moving along now that I'm headed into baseball/softball season with the kids.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000