Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

USA
606 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2009 :  12:36:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Matt,

Finally had a chance to read this thread -- impressive! Juggling the house, the kids, work and starting a large railroad! Want to get something done? Ask a busy person I say.

Maybe you can scan and post diagrams of the industries. This group will provide some constructive suggestions, along with the usual mushroom soil.

Merry Christmas all!

Eric
Go to Top of Page

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2009 :  8:10:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eric/Bob-Thanks for the kind words. Bob I'm honored to get your 1st post on here. Mark/Rick-I hear ya'!!! December was a tough month to work on the railroad. After Bruce stopped over on the 7th, the room was converted into "Santa's workshop" if you know what I mean and was essentially off-limits through X-mas. Now that Santa has returned to the North Pole I can get back to work.

All kidding aside though, most of the work that I have been doing has been minor and under the layout(wiring, lighting for staging, more supports to stabilize the layout). Topside, I added the Caboose Industries ground throws to the switching area off the staging yard (re-laid again) and to the couple of switches in place @ Steubenville. I cut in the corners to compensate for the curves needed to get from Mingo Yard to Steubenville too. Built a temporary removable "bridge" to get over the doorway and started laying the track moving towards Mingo Yard. And finally, a good bit of reading and research. Fell short of my goal to have the mainline in place before the Holiday but I'm close. I plan on having another work session shortly. More to follow on the plans of the layout on another post.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26375
Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10474 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2009 :  12:08:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Matt, it sounds like your getting a lot done, certainly more than I have! I hope I can make it to your next work session and create a major leap in the progress so we can get trains running.

Mark

See my homepage at http://home.comcast.net/~prrndiv/
Go to Top of Page

nhguy
Fireman

USA
4241 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2009 :  01:37:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It's looking good Matt!!

Bill Shanaman
Superintendent, Chief Track Cleaner,
New Haven RR in the 1948 to 1952 era
PMRA President 2014-15, OpSIG Member
NCE User Since 1999
Sugar City, Colorado
Go to Top of Page

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  11:07:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The guys made it over on Monday night and we got alot done. The helix is completely wired and was tested by SteamNut, the 2nd transition out of the helix has been put into place, the benchwork for the creek and bridge is in, and while I'm still short of my goal of having the mainline in on the 1st level, we're 80% there. Mark & Bruce have set the risers and roadbed in place in the area between the helix and Mingo Yard (southward)and just waiting for the glue to dry. Mark came in and laid the roadbed and I did my best to keep up laying the track on the mainline. Rick (Harsco) was busy planning out the mill area(see his sketches on the next post) and figuring out how everything is going to fit in. He makes it look so easy. He's also threatening a hostile takeover by the parent company of Harsco!!! Check out the pics below. Thanks for reading look forward to any comments.

Here's the view "south" of Mingo Yard towards the helix. Woodland Scenics Risers and foam roadbed in place under the weights for glue to set. To the far right just off the helix is the transition piece that was put into place.

Quick snapshot of the wiring inside of the helix. There are 3 sets of wires like these tying it all together. Nice, clean work Bruce!!!

Here's an overview of the 1st level from the helix taken after the guys left.

Shot coming into Mingo Yard from the "south/west". Nice shot with the bridge that SteamNut built and weathered. Another nice looking piece by Bruce.

Shot taken at track level looking south at the approach into Mingo Yard along far right wall. This area along these walls (to the left and back wall) will be the location of Wheeling Pitt Steel. Picture is cut off on the left by about 6".

One last one of me "under" the layout captured by my oldest daughter. It's tight under there!!! Forgot one support in the back corner.

Go to Top of Page

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  11:20:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the schematics sketched out by Rick (aka Harsco) of the mill layout. After discussing the limitations of the room, I originally planned on modeling both the Wheeling Pitt plant AND a limited Carnegie Illinois Plant (nee-Labelle)(also owned by Wheeling Pitt in my era). However, the C-I Plant plans are gone and will be replaced by a "stretched" Wheeling Pitt Plant. The plans are to go from the area just outside the helix along the entrance wall into the layout room across the doorway along the walls to the edge of Mingo Yard. (the schematic shows this as the Open Hearth area) Along the back wall parallel to the mains and the yard will be building fronts to continue the mill scene. (the main buildings of the mill complex) The corner to the right of the yard (empty) will have a switch off the mill lead and hold the refractory warehouse (modeled as a flat) and the car repair facility. Thanks again for reading.(2nd schematic below) Rick-HUGE THANK YOU for taking the time to plan this out and Bruce and Mark for feedback and insight to further enhance it. Nice job Rick working within the space limitations and already thinking through the operational scheme.

Overview rough draft of mill complex

Siding off the W-P mill lead parallel to mainline that runs along Mingo Yard.

Go to Top of Page

Harsco
Fireman

USA
1202 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  06:50:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Matt's layout underscores something I learned at a Steel Mill Modelers meet a couple of years ago: it is virtually impossible to model an entire mill complex, so just pick the scenes you want and put everything else on the backdrop. What made this something of a challenge, as well as easier in a perverse way, was that Matt already as a Walther's Blast Furnace, which will obviously be the centerpiece of the complex. Once you figure out where that structure can fit footprint-wise, everything else can then fall into place.....high line, hot tracks, and other structures. Being "selective compression-challenged", as Mark likes to say, I tend to favor really LARGE mill buildings that dwarf the trains, just like the real life versions. Matt's open hearth complex has a lot more room than the sketch indicates and is going to be impressive!
Go to Top of Page

Red P
Crew Chief

USA
978 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  07:05:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Red P a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Your work is progressing nicely, Im looking forward to seeing the mill compleated.
P

http://pcpanhandle.shutterfly.com/
Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10474 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  7:44:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had a good time the other night Matt. The layout is coming together nicely! I can't wait to get back and start laying out the yard.

Mark

Go to Top of Page

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  7:54:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Red P-thanks for the kind words.

Mark-I finally caught up to you!!! LOL.

Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10474 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  12:30:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So I hear! Now we need to set those bridge abutments and then set the bridge so you can continue onward and complete the first level. Are you sure you can wait until the next work session?

Mark

Go to Top of Page

Red P
Crew Chief

USA
978 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  10:55:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Red P a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
So whats your locomotive roster looking like?
P

http://pcpanhandle.shutterfly.com/

Edited by - Red P on 01/09/2010 10:56:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

dnhman
Fireman

USA
1058 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  12:32:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Matt that photo of you sandwiched in the bench work is priceless,,
The things we do for trains,,

Cheers!, Joe
Go to Top of Page

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  3:10:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark-plan on being down there again on Monday night-going to be shutting down at 11 though, I have to be up pretty early the next morning.

Joe-funny how many other people have found themselves in a tight spot, I should've left it for Bruce to get to-I hear he's like Gumby-LOL.

Go to Top of Page

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  3:34:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Red P-

The loco roster is shaping up like this:
Broadway
PC Alco RSD-15
PC EMD SD-9 (sound)

Atlas
PC GE U33C
B&A EMD GP-7 (Bangor & Aroostook)
PC FM H16-44
PC Alco C424
PRR Alco C424
Und Alco RS-3
Und Alco S-2 (2)
Und EMD FP-7
P&LE GP-38 (2)

PROTO 2000
PRR EMD GP-9 PhIII (2)
PRR EMD GP-30 (2)
PRR EMD SW-9 (2)
P&LE EMD GP-38-2
PRR EMD E8 (2)
Und EMD E8 (2)
Und EMD GP-7
NH Alco RS-11 (Proto 1000)

Stewart
PRR Alco C628
PRR Alco C630
PRR GE U25B (3)
P&LE GE U28B (3)
PRR Bald AS-616
PRR Bald AS-16
and 11 EMD F-units (either PRR or undec)

Walthers
PRR EMD SW-1 (2)
Und EMD SW-1

Details West Kits
Und EMD GP-9 Ph.I (5)
Und EMD GP-9 Ph.III (2)(slated to be B units)

Concor(still hanging on to these, why???)
PRR EMD SD-35 (3)
Und EMD SD-35 (2)
Und EMD GP-38
Und EMD GP-40

Athearn (old Blue Box)(will update these to newer units over time)
PRR EMD GP-35 (2)
PRR EMD SW-7
P&LE EMD GP-38
Und GE U28C
Und GE U30C
PRR FM Trainmasters (dummy units)

Nearly not enough yet but getting there. And need to add alot more Penn Central power. Over the past year or so, I've slowly sold off most of my older Athearn Blue Boxes- other GP-35's,SD-45's, Railpower SD-40's, Railpower SD-38's, other GP-38's, SW-1500's, and most of the Bachmann Spectrum power. My wife has been very generous for birthdays, Fathers Day and Christmas. Actually funny thing is I'll put a list together for her listing #1 to #3 to give her options to get one unit, she'll turn around and buy the whole list!!! I need to start listing 5 or 6 "options." One would think why haven't I caught on to this yet?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000