Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

nhguy
Fireman

USA
4241 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  1:30:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Gee P, Mine only cost 12K to rebuild including a new floor, rebar reinforced walls and a block interior wall. I could literally see outside one large open crack. What's the hold up?

Bill Shanaman
Superintendent, Chief Track Cleaner,
New Haven RR in the 1948 to 1952 era
PMRA President 2014-15, OpSIG Member
NCE User Since 1999
Sugar City, Colorado
Go to Top of Page

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  10:57:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, RedP and Bill,

Thanks for the messages, good to hear from you. Great timing with your posts (talk about a coincidence-lol)and nice segue into this update. The work in the basement is 99% complete (on the other side of the basement that is) and 100% complete on the layout side. Mark and Bruce made it over last night and the staging yards were reinstalled onto the layout. Now I'm out of excuses for not moving along on the layout.

The pics below show the yards reinstalled. I took the pictures with only the newly installed layout lighting on. This was done while the layout was apart. Additionally, you can see different shades of blue from the backdrop color experiment that Mark and I performed also while the layout was in pieces.

I will pick up again next week. My youngest daughter's 1st Holy Communion is this weekend and will take up most of the free time. Kids have 4 games on Saturday. Next up on the layout will be to do a deep clean of all the dust that has accumulated due to the work down there; clean the trackwork; paint the background blue and finally paint the ceiling/fascia black to enhance the layout. Got that last trick from MarkF.

I'll keep updating as I move along. Bruce and Mark-many thanks again for all of your help in getting it back together again.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26375
Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10465 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  11:21:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No problem Matt! It was fun getting together again. Now that the layout is back in one piece, we need get the trains running. Time for another 'Barrett Bridge'! I saw the tape measure come out last night so that means the planning is underway.

Mark

See my homepage at http://home.comcast.net/~prrndiv/
Go to Top of Page

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  11:42:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

...Time for another 'Barrett Bridge'! I saw the tape measure come out last night so that means the planning is underway.

Lol!!! I've been warned by Rick that once that thing comes out, no one knows exactly what's being planned, only him. Just get out of his way and don't slow him down...

Go to Top of Page

LVRALPH
Fireman

5484 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  05:27:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good.
Go to Top of Page

Red P
Crew Chief

USA
978 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  05:49:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Red P a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nhguy

Gee P, Mine only cost 12K to rebuild including a new floor, rebar reinforced walls and a block interior wall. I could literally see outside one large open crack. What's the hold up?

well for one thing we will probably only be in this house for a couple years before we sell it.
And for another that basement is very small.
P

http://pcpanhandle.shutterfly.com/
Go to Top of Page

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2012 :  11:50:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a quick update. After operating on Harsco last night, got the "bug" to finish up a project that I've been playing around with. I finished painting the ceiling and the fascia that is installed flat black. Followed a tip from MarkF to do this to really draw attention to the layout. The results were quite noticeable, just compare the the pics above in a previous post. Loving this effect, thanks for the tip Mark. Just 2 quick pics below with only the layout lighting on. I'm contemplating whether or not to paint the ends of the shop lights that are hung from the ceiling flat black also. A fascia is yet to be installed above to hide the lights. It's all cut waiting to go up. Next up is the repainting of the backdrops to the correct blue. Thanks again for reading along.

Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10465 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2012 :  12:19:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow Matt, what a difference! That will really make the layout pop out at you! I can't wait to see it in person.

Mark

See my homepage at http://home.comcast.net/~prrndiv/
Go to Top of Page

Harsco
Fireman

USA
1202 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2012 :  06:57:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks outstanding, Matt.....the room is looking good!
Go to Top of Page

nhguy
Fireman

USA
4241 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2012 :  01:32:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That really does make a difference in the look and feel of the layout room Matt. Very Nice Job! I would paint the ends of the fixtures if it were me, it will make them blend in better.

Bill Shanaman
NCE User Since 1999
Sugar City, Colorado
Go to Top of Page

Harsco
Fireman

USA
1202 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2012 :  07:03:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

That really does make a difference in the look and feel of the layout room Matt. Very Nice Job! I would paint the ends of the fixtures if it were me, it will make them blend in better.

Agreed.....better yet, change them to... <wait for it>.....black lights!
Go to Top of Page

nhguy
Fireman

USA
4241 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2012 :  2:11:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

GROooooooooooOWN!!!!!![:-banghead]

Bill Shanaman
NCE User Since 1999
Sugar City, Colorado
Go to Top of Page

akimmons
Fireman

USA
1368 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2012 :  2:26:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Matt
The black looks good and the RR will really pop. A quick tip: when you get to the fascia, don't use flat finish paint. It scuffs up too easily. Try either eggshell or satin, depending on your tolerance for sheen.

Arnold Kimmons
General Manager
Royal & Edisto Railroad
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19182
Go to Top of Page

Harsco
Fireman

USA
1202 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2012 :  5:34:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

GROooooooooooOWN!!!!!![:-banghead]

Glad to be of service, Bill....<grin>
Go to Top of Page

Steam Nut
Fireman

USA
1454 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2012 :  8:16:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't you have some paper buildings to cut out!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000