Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 36

James VanB
Crew Chief

Canada
519 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  7:22:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit James VanB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a major facelift project you have going there Frederic. I'm not sure if I could tear everything apart like that. I'm sure it will turn out better than the first when you're done though.

Is that homosote your using on the subroadbed? Didn't know you could get that in europe. I lived in The Netherlands for 2 years and never saw it there.

Very nice bridge as well. Look forward to seeing the other bridges when you're done.

James
Lyn, Ontario, Canada
http://lynvalleynorthwestern.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13132 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  8:03:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow!!!!!! Frederic,
You have made some significant progress on what I am sure will be an outstanding layout once everything is completed.[:-thumbu][:-thumbu]

As others have mentioned it takes a lot of guts or something else to rip apart what was a magnificent layout to build one that I am sure will be even more impressive.

Looking forward to future updates.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.
Go to Top of Page

Mike Hamer
Engineer

10289 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  8:55:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Frederic, I must be a slow-learner as I haven't been over to this section of the forum in quite a while. You can very well imagine my surprise to discover your gorgeous layout and then learn that you are dismantling it to make a new and improved one! It's already 'improved' in my books - phenomenal in fact! [:-thumbu][:-thumbu]

All the best, Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://craftsmanstructures.blogspot.com
http://bostonandmaine.blogspot.com
http://fridaynightgroup.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

UKGuy
Fireman

USA
5796 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  10:11:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Frederic, I am sure that the first steps in this task were the hardest to make, now your fun and experience can take over in what I am sure is going to be a very enjoyable and rewarding process for you. I am certainly looking forward to watching and learning as this journey proceeds. Extremely impressive as always.

Karl.
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11027 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  10:19:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, what a major undertaking Frederic! Should be real nice when you get finished though.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

MLW
Crew Chief

772 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  11:05:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit MLW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frederic, very well done and great "step-by-step" of your modification/renovation. Awesome modelling.

Thanks for sharing.

Du modelisme de haute gamme. Bravo![:-thumbu][:-thumbu]
Go to Top of Page

DavidChaney2
New Hire

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  01:13:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic,

That is some outstanding work, nice senic effects.

David
Richmond Va.

Something for everyone in the model railroading community at, http://modelrailroadingitems.yolasite.com
Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  09:28:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A very ambitious undertaking, Frederic, but I have no doubt the revised area will be better than ever. And your bridge is outstanding! I really like it.[:-thumbu]

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have a railroad to run.

Visit the Central Missouri & Southern
Go to Top of Page

grlakeslogger
Crew Chief

USA
870 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  10:54:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic,
Thank you for sharing your bridge photo with us. I have been an admirer of Harry Brunk's work for many years. To see one of his models done by such a superb craftsman as yourself is a definite pleasure. It does look just right for your scene.

--Stu--

--Stu--
It's a great day whenever steam heads out into the timber!
Go to Top of Page

INRAIL
Crew Chief

USA
672 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  01:17:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederick.

All I can say is WOW! The scenery, track plan and models all look fantastic!

Tom Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17602 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  5:51:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to all of you for the kind appreciations. I hope I'm able to do what I have in mind...
James, sorry for answering a little late to your question. The green material I use for the subroadbed is not homasote, but an insulating material we use here under parquet. It's about 5mm thick (0.20") and I use a double thickness to be able to install Kadee magnetic uncouplers, that require more than 5mm. My friend Alexander Zelkin who lived in Canada and the USA for many years consider that it is not as good as homasote, but it's not so bad. Personnally, I think it's OK. It's relatively strong so it keeps the spikes very well, yet it is easy to cut and glue (although a bit messy).

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

k27rgs
Fireman

Australia
4982 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2009 :  04:29:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
G'day Mate

I started to write back to you offline but time gets in the way.

Did a bit more on the mine today and need to ask a few questions.

The stairway size ( treads & stringers ) seems too big... did you reduce yours...
Have the original S scale plans here, which I up sized to 1:48....

I few more questions next time..... good to see this thread again... it is what finally got me building the mine.....

http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_russell_mine.html

cheers mate

Mario

Mario Rapinett

http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_for_sale__model_railroad_items.html
Go to Top of Page

grlakeslogger
Crew Chief

USA
870 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2009 :  10:20:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Mario,

I just checked out your link. That is an incredible model! The detail is fabulous.

--Stu--

--Stu--
It's a great day whenever steam heads out into the timber!
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17602 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  5:57:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mario, sorry for not answering earlier, but as I mentionned on other topics, I have had a serious computer problem last weekend that left me without internet access at home.
I don't remember reducing the size of the stairway, but on the other hand since the mine was going to be displayed in a relatively far distance, I built it only 20% bigger than HO scale instead of 36% which would have been the 'normal factor' to go from HO to S. So the whole building is smaller than it should be, and when you put S scale figures near it, it gives a very satisfactory feeling.
I'm not sure tis really answers your question, but at least it gives a hint.
Your own model of the mine is really impressive.

Frederic Testard

Edited by - Frederic Testard on 10/20/2009 5:58:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

LynnB
Fireman

Canada
1922 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  10:36:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic that is one amazing layout your building and now that I've come across it I will be watching for all the updates. Keep up the great workmanship.

Modeling the L&M Rocky Mountain Railroad
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13095
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 36 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000