Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 36

UKGuy
Fireman

USA
5797 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  10:11:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Frederic, I too also like your trackplan, nice and flowing and not over crowded. A very natural feeling with a purpose. I also like the runnaround next to the TT, pull in a full train, turn the loco on the TT and send it along the runaround track to the (now)front of the waiting cars for the return journey, as you say, it makes perfect sense.

I will be looking forward to following your mastery in all the aspects of this overhaul/rebuild. Beautiful modeling so far with the promise of much more to come.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 08/29/2008 10:12:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11062 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  7:25:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it does look more proto with the relocated TT Frederic, either way though it will make a nice layout.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

LandNnut
Fireman

USA
1518 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2008 :  4:54:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Its nice to see a layout where the Chama sand house and coaling tower actually fit. So many people have used the HO plastic kits of these structures that they have become a cliché.
Jon

Go to Top of Page

hunter48820
Fireman

USA
6104 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2008 :  5:05:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Frederic,
I've not been following this thread. I must say that you have a very highly detailed and well done plan of your layout. The layout pics are also very nice.

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17653 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  04:16:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stu, Arnold, Karl, Mike, Jon, Andy, thanks for the comments.
Yes, the revised plan looks more logical, and retains the extreme simplicity of a railroad built for a very precise purpose.
Jon, I'll post more shots of the tower when I finally finish it... (It will then have been a five or more year long project...)
I have slightly modified the coaling complex area (lower right part of the left room in the plan below). The purpose of this change is to have the loading area face the viewer and not the wall, since I plan to have a detailed area there and it would be frustrating not to be able to watch it. Here is the revised plan.

and here is a link to a page from the University of Washington archives showing how I plan to build the coal loading area.

http://content.lib.washington.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/curtis&CISOPTR=1170&CISOBOX=1&REC=7

Yesterday, the nostalgic C18 crew asked to turn it on the turntable before this one is relocated. Management agreed...

Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  10:12:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard

... retains the extreme simplicity of a railroad built for a very precise purpose.

Frederic, that is a concept I wish more model railroaders would embrace when they are in the track planning phase of layout construction.

I like your plan. Its simplicity is also its strength because it still allows opportunities for operations.

I love that first photo of the lokie approaching the turntable! Great camera angle![:-thumbu]

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have a railroad to run.

Visit the Central Missouri & Southern
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25345 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  10:48:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic,

Locating the coal tipple so the viewers can see what is going on is a good idea. That U of W photo show a neat tipple. I love that site.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13136 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  10:55:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dang Frederic, you certainly do outstanding modeling.

Not only is the first picture that Mike mentions above a good picture but it certainly shows off your ability to create and model a very realistic scene which looks more like a real life scene than one that has been modeled.[:-thumbu][:-thumbu]

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.
Go to Top of Page

danpickard
Fireman

Australia
1268 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  3:56:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit danpickard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
G'day Frederic,
Ditto some of the comments about the trackplan, doesnt need to be a maze on trackwork for good operation and enjoyable viewing, this is a narrow gauge line after all!! Not many NG operations had the funds to run lines everywhere to meet everyones needs anyway. Based on the few pics we have seen, you have the makings of a stunning feature room for your home. Certainly look forward to the forthcoing installments. That prototype of the coaling transfer should make for a great model too...good find.

Keep us updated.
Cheers,
Dan Pickard

http://danpickard.blogspot.com/
http://www.lauriegreensweb.com/
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17653 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  6:06:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, Bruce, John, Dan, thanks for the comments about the plan and the first pic. It is much more dramatic with the loco than the one I posted on page 1 of this thread that showed - from the same location - an empty track.

The next picture is far from being as good in terms of depth of field, but it was taken in a very awkward location with the camera put against the wall of the building, over a very slim support, and my hand trying to hold it as steadily as possible. Yet I thought it might interest you to see how the workers at the Grand Central mine, the highest mine of the highline, see the surrounding landscape. This is quite different from the usual viewing from below, and I can even say that this LP knows things about the topography of the layout that I didn't know until I shot this picture.

Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11062 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  8:30:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quite the layout you have there Frederic, very nice! [:-thumbu]

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17653 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  03:30:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Operation Phoenix

(Source : Wikipedia)

As the readers of this thread already know, the building of the revised version of this Sn3 layout requires the dismantling of most of the older one (with the structures being salvaged and relocated - one main exception though : the management has bought a K27 which is too long to be turned on the turntable, which will accordingly be disposed of). The chief manager has code nameed Phoenix this operation, in the hope that the new layout will soon rise from the ashes of the former.

Here are a few pics - taken over a two months periods of the first phase of this operation. Some rock castings were salvaged to become part of the new scenery. But rocks - and a lot of trees - will be redone (and hopefully improved), using the new skills I've developed over the last few years.

For the first time for years, I had the possibility to see the turntable actuating mechanism I built before I started the lower level of the former layout. I thought some of you might be interested in seeing that. On first examination, I'd say that some parts seem over-engineered while some others look under-engineered... One can still argue that the thing worked (even if it was seldom).

Edited by - Frederic Testard on 01/15/2009 03:32:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

dougcoffey1950
Crew Chief

Canada
986 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  09:20:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit dougcoffey1950's Homepage  Send dougcoffey1950 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Fred,
Everything looks awesome. great trackplan, great model work.

http://www.dougcoffey.com/html/model_railroad.html
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25345 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  09:56:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard

For the first time for years, I had the possibility to see the turntable actuating mechanism I built before I started the lower level of the former layout. I thought some of you might be interested in seeing that. On first examination, I'd say that some parts seem over-engineered while some others look under-engineered... One can still argue that the thing worked (even if it was seldom).

A very appropriate name for the operation, Frederic. Will you be using the turntable mechanism on the new layout?

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13136 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  10:00:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic
Glad to see you back at work on the layout.

I have also been relocating land and track to include Walt's Wharf but nothing compared to what you have undertaken in Operation Phoenix.[:-bigeyes]

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 36 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000