Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 36

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17603 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  7:31:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Andy, the white brackets have been holding the main plank for years now, and for instance it has seen the whole making of Dave's Corner, so there must be some sort of reality there...

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

andykins
Fireman

United Kingdom
4060 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  05:00:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
mhmm maybe if you dry brushed them with a little off white? tone it down like you did with the MDF :D
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17603 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  10:20:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slow but real progress. The mountain line in the background, the location of the buildings and headframes on the diorama basis.

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

milocomarty
Fireman

Netherlands
5872 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  11:05:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good so far Frederic, good to see you work on the RR again...

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17603 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  6:24:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Martin. Energy is slowly coming back.

The cardboard core of building #2 has been cut. It will be covered with Canson paper (ala Troels) and decorated (ala almost Troels - in the best case...). A small office building nested in between the heavier mining structures.

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

TRAINS1941
Fireman

USA
6083 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  8:37:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah!!!! The mystery man of France. Appears once again.
Wonderful to see you back at the bench again.

Fredric looking forward to all your wonderful work!!!

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

kirk
Fireman

Sweden
4725 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  01:32:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to see life again Frédéric... Black cardboard would ease your life a little... Won't show between planks, interior invisible if needed, light won't shine through etc. And if you use matte board, it is acid free too.

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden
http://coastline.no13.se
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17603 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  04:02:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Jerry and Troels.
Troels, you're right about the material but in the case of this building, it will be clapboard sided on the front, so no 'between planks', and I'll cover it with payne grey or burnt umber on the sides that will have plain planking. Besides the sides will be against other structures and not very visible.
That being said, if I had been able to locate this humphggrrhhh black piece of cardboard, I would have used it...

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
2351 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  04:46:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad to see you building again. The little bin (it's hard to see on the phone) is a fine tease of the good things to come

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17603 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2011 :  04:12:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bob.

Work is going on on this building, with the help of my children who layed the vertical Canson planks on both sides (my girl also helped me paint the inside in Payne Grey to avoid seeing the white through the window). While some parallels were not perfect, I think they did a nice job, and once covered with India ink and water, the walls don't look bad.

The rear of the building will be against a steep cliff, so no time wasted on it.

Light was not very good when I shot the pics, so I reworked the colours on the computer. On my screen the last pic shows accurately the color of the side. But in any case, painting is not done yet, and some brown will be added.

The door was scratchbuilt, the window is a Rusty Stumps S scale lasercut one.

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

railman28
Fireman

USA
2351 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2011 :  04:39:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The colors came out good Frederic. and thanks for getting close enought that I could see them on the phone. Can't wait to see them on the big(er) screen. Isn't it 10x funner when you can get the family involved too.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris
Go to Top of Page

milocomarty
Fireman

Netherlands
5872 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2011 :  04:43:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice job !! Think a not so perfect allignment of planking adds character to a build. Great fun to see your children love to model to...

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

kirk
Fireman

Sweden
4725 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2011 :  05:54:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice Frédéric! The black matte board can be found at or ordered through any framing shop . Many of the big art materials dealers sell it too (in France for example try http://www.geant-beaux-arts.fr/ ). The best in my experience is the through-colored black, not the white with black on each face. My framer puts all black offcuts in a special bin for me for free (but he has a lot of business from me or my customers of course.

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden
http://coastline.no13.se

Edited by - kirk on 11/13/2011 05:55:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17603 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2011 :  5:32:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bob, Martin and Troels.
The children made walls turned out quite good once painted in fact.
Troels, I'll have to see if I can find this 100% black material. In any case, the white/black one has been rediscovered in the layout room.

Here are three shots of the painted structure. I thought it was a bit dark and have slightly lightened it since. I see the door frame requires a little more paint work.
I'm currently working on the roofs (both for this building and the little one in the logging diorama). Pics and text to come later.

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17603 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2011 :  6:38:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I said earlier, I've done the roof of the little building of the logging diorama. Here is a shot of the current state of the scene (trees momentarily away...). The shingling was done using S scale random shingles by Rusty Stumps (the adhesive backing sort). Very fast, very realistic thickness. The roof was then painted following Troels' practice again.

Next on the list is the roof on the mine building. These shingles will be the non-random category, and I'll use some leftovers from a Banta Vance Junction section house kit I built a few years ago.
While I had all these Canson strips on hand, I started to cover the walls of one of the buildings I had cut for Chambers Coaling station several months ago.

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 36 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000