Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 36

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17605 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2011 :  05:18:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to all of you for the great comments, and sorrry for the late answer, but as you have certainly noticed another project that was emergently nearing completion has kept me busy these last weeks. I think I should have more time for the Lake Itasca layout by now.

Bob, I agree with you about the additionnal "rythm" given by the shed to the scene.

Les, I'm sure you know quite well how to manage green stuff...

Randy, I think I'll follow Greg's opinion about adding small debris to the shed roof when it's done. I'm wondering if I'll put good-sized trees in an area that has seen a good deal of human activity. Maybe big modelling clay stumps, instead.

Don, the basic landscaping is relatively easy to do fast. Then I'll have to come back to add better details to selected places and it could be longer.

Martin, in fact the shed has not yet been completed. When it is the roof will be completely planked.

Bill, your recent scenery work has been excellent, I'm sure you can get as good a result as you wish.

Russ, one thing I always try to do is "the little extra" that I found missed on other layouts. For instance, trying to avoid a too crude transition between 2D and 3D, or an unsatisfactory color somewhere. That doesn't mean there are no flaws, but these extra minutes spent on small details are well worth the short time they take.

Thanks, Mike.

Greg, you're right about the shed not being complete yet. Small debris will provide a pleasant addition to the roof.

George, I’m looking forward to seeing it too...

Arthur, it's interesting to find a good balance between enough and too much variety. By chance, most mountainous areas feature some very different landscapes in relatively close areas.

Anders, Rikard, Junior, many thanks.

Gord, my Sn3 layout has been in planning stage for a long time, then it was partially built, and now I'm rebuilding almost everything because, in spite of all the time spent, I hadn't considered enough some of the problems caused by my design. Do not hesitate to share your thoughts about your own project, to get all the possible help from the great RR-Line crew. Thanks for your comments, and glad if this work can also provide some inspiration.

Mario, I hope the new scenery and structures will please you as well.

Jerry, and now here's the snowy version, with the great art work of Troels (picture by Alexander Zelkin of a painted Troels offered me last week).

It would be wrong to say that absolutely nothing happened on the LI RR & Nav these last weeks since I finally received the K27 I ordered from PBL almost three years ago. Great look, great sound - I just have to find the good way to conceal these wires... Here it is, displayed with a boxcar that was offered by PBL to all the early subscribers. The K is not a "brass" model but a "hybrid" with a mix of diecast and brass parts. Cost is about half that of the brass models, and apparently the combination of CNC design and die-casting gave an even better model.

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

slimrails

USA
7533 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2011 :  06:59:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are terrific models, Frederic! [:-thumbu] I have been following the PBL 'hybrid' development myself to see what it comes out like. There has been a LONG wiat for this release and I can see that PBL has another winner!
Go to Top of Page

kirk
Fireman

Sweden
4730 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2011 :  09:24:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to see action on you own layout again... a beautiful engine... what about a small video with the sound as well??!!

And here's a more accurate reproduction of the painting, with a little more contrast...

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden
http://coastline.no13.se
Go to Top of Page

k27rgs
Fireman

Australia
4983 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2011 :  10:12:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brillant artist....thanks Troels

Mario Rapinett

http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_for_sale__model_railroad_items.html
Go to Top of Page

Ensign
Fireman

Canada
5185 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2011 :  1:21:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bonjour Frederic, wow what a beautiful looking engine you have!
And an even more beautiful painting Troels has made for you.
He has captured the look of this scene on your layout perfectly.
And made even more interesting by painting a season your real layout will never really see.

Greg Shinnie
Go to Top of Page

dallas_m
Fireman

USA
4251 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2011 :  5:44:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful painting ... wonderful scene ... nifty new loco ... I wonder how Frederic is going to model the snow? [:-cold]

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!
Go to Top of Page

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

USA
5190 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2011 :  11:42:52 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wow.. what a beautiful loco!

Frederick- I am sure you will make those wires disappear without difficulty.

Arthur

Arthur

Cielo Vista Railway (on30)
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11035 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2011 :  08:48:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate snow but that is a beautiful painting! Nice loco Frederic!

Mike
Go to Top of Page

quarryman
Fireman

USA
1130 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2011 :  9:41:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frederic-

Congratulations on a beautiful feature article and cover layout on the latest NGDU. Once again, I find the text of your articles insightful and your photos inspirational.

Mark Chase
Richmond VA

Visit my Piedmont & East Blue Ridge Railroad
http://www.eastblueridge.com
Go to Top of Page

gregnarrowgauge
Engine Wiper

Australia
168 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2011 :  10:25:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Frederic;
Congratulations on the cover and article in our own NGDU.
Well done.

Greg In Australia
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17605 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2011 :  04:55:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Mark and Greg. I got my copy yesterday, and I must say it's a nice feeling to see the layout on the cover.

Dallas, I'm afraid I may not cover the layout with crème Chantilly. Especially since it won't ever be as nice as Troels' snow...
Arthur, I've bought some silicone glue (the same sort my children use at school to hang their drawings to the wall) and I'll have to make this little work one of these days.

Recent activity has been mainly devoted to the design of the new mining area. The building of it will be described here and in the topic "A tale of two mines - The Silverado & the Leaverite" launched by Michael and Kris : http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31999

Here is a sketch of the planned area, inspired by the Allegheny Mine, a very unlikely setting in the mountains above Telluride, CO. I've made more precise plans since, which show that there should be room for a rooming house and outhouse on the left of the drawing.

After more than a month of finger inactivity, I have played a little with some modelling clay. I still don't know exactly where these things will go but no doubt that they will find some location. Just hope they are not too big. After all this time spent in O scale, I must remember that S is smaller...

I've also modified the lighting of my bench. I installed three powerful bulbs that provide plenty of light. It allowed me to remove my arm lamp and get more working space. I had to make a small valance to avoid having light straight in the eyes.

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

kirk
Fireman

Sweden
4730 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2011 :  05:16:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good finally to see some activity again... I love the spindly mine structures you've designed. Also some fine tree stumps... looking forward to seeing them painted and installed.
Good worklighting is essential at mid life ;-) I have become friends with a three watt LED spot with a clamp. I bring it to the various building sites and suddenly can see what I'm doing ;o)

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden
http://coastline.no13.se
Go to Top of Page

Geezer
Engineer

USA
10165 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2011 :  07:33:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic - Congrats pn the new "K"....very nice! (Belated)
The mine has my eye, and I will be following closely.....
If those tree stumps turn out "too big" I would like to enter
a bid for them!!!! Those are really neat!!!
Good to see you back in Sn3.....:-)

Bill
The only "REAL" Geezer

"Before you say it's my fault, Are you SURE it was my job?"

My Threads:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39181&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34275&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28172&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

mabloodhound
Fireman

USA
5493 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2011 :  08:49:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everything looks very nice Frederic, especially that K27.
I see that your lights are CFL which may or may not be required in the US depending on the government's success in court.
I like your drawing proposal and as for snow, just hang Troel's painting nearby and tell everyone that is how it looked last winter.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security
Go to Top of Page

milocomarty
Fireman

Netherlands
5877 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2011 :  5:24:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good to see you model a bit again, stumps are looking good, can ship them to me if they're outta scale..realy looking forward to your start on this mining complex. And of course congratulations on the magazine cover, guess it's time for me to buy some of these!!

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 36 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000