Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 36

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  5:30:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Superb modeling and layout construction, Frederic. [:-thumbu][:-thumbu] Your layering scenes in vertical space reminds me of Malcolm Furlow's use of the same techniques.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have a railroad to run.

Visit the Central Missouri & Southern
Go to Top of Page

Peterpools
Engineer

USA
12335 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  5:58:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frederic
You just blew me away ... Superb!
Peter [:-kitty]
Go to Top of Page

Jerry M
Fireman

USA
4055 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  6:56:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic, VERY NICE layout and photos!!! very very nice. Your skill and imagination are first rate and the colors are perfect, natural appearing and realistic. The details on the chutes show up great and the turntable is fantastic. Just first rate all the way around. Jerry
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17604 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  7:01:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to all of you for the kind comments.
Pat, the trees are a fundamental element in such a layout. This version was designed to feature relatively deep scenes (about 3 feet deep) so the background trees were kept relatively small. On the new, less deep version (probably about 2'6"), with tracks much easier to reach, I think there will be more trees and that even the background ones will be higher. This helps make a nice transition between the 3D scenery and the painted backdrop.
Mike, every effort has been made to have the various small diorama-like scenes blend together. The highline is basically composed of a series of dioramas built so as to fit together. As Gregg said in his Lamson & Goodnow Cutlery thread, this technique allows an easier access to all sides of the scenes. It also allows you to work elsewhere than in the layout room, which is not bad for the family life.
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17604 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  7:08:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, thanks for your comments. I, too, am finally glad to see the Sn3 adventure continue. It's a really interesting with only the problem of affordability of motive power. Now that I have found a nice answer to this problem, it is close to the perfect scale.
About On30, yes it's currently on hold but I still have lots of projects in this scale. Let's say that Sn3 is the mining scale and On30 the logging scene. The track plan I had drawn will have to be modified but I think that the more linear space I have in mind should permit some even more spectacular scenes. The only difficulty I can see will be to fit a big waterfront scene. This part could be much reduced. And I think that I will do as usually, interspersing Sn3 with On30 and On30 with Sn3. So there should be more building threads in the close future.
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17604 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  7:20:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, I like very much the shot of the ore tipple too. It shows very well all the detailing of the ore gates, which I remember were a great pleasure to build. For those interested, the model is based upon John Campbell's Rattlesnake mine depicted in the march/april and may/june 1998 issues of the gazette.

The next shot shows the other side of the tipple and the RGS Work Goose waiting for its next trip down the line, and the second one shows another little facility inspired by the high terminal of the Dolly Varden line, that featured such a chute between the tipple and the boiler house.

Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17604 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  7:32:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jon, Bruce and Louis, I like very much this turntable too. Its design is inspired by two different locations. The table itself was built using the plans of the Laws table on the SP, that were published with many building hints in a two part article by Al Armitage (nov/dec 1989 and jan/feb 1990 gazettes). The "open" structure on which it is built is based upon the Signal Butte turntable, on the McCloud River Railroad. I was motivated to build it when I saw such a model on my friend Alex Zelkin's layout.

Edited by - Frederic Testard on 08/07/2008 7:35:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17604 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  7:34:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stu, the grade of the highline is about 4%. Although I didn't operate it very much, I'd say that the locos don't seem to have problems trailing the short trains the company sends to the high mines.
Go to Top of Page

slimrails

USA
7533 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  9:40:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just stunning, Frederic! [:-bigmouth] [:-thumbu] I particularly like the photo of the front of the work goose.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Uffelman
Crew Chief

USA
924 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  9:56:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic how large is your display as shown in these photos? Trackplan available?

Bill Uffelman
Las Vegas NV
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11035 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  07:28:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most excellent modeling!

Mike
Go to Top of Page

k27rgs
Fireman

Australia
4983 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  08:09:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
G'day mate.

I've made aware to a few guys back in Australia about your piece of art...

Maybe I'ii give you a call in the coming weeks for a chat....

That's heaps for the link to Alex Zelkin web site.....

catch ya one day soon

Mario

http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_frederic_testard.html

Mario Rapinett

http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_for_sale__model_railroad_items.html
Go to Top of Page

TRAINS1941
Fireman

USA
6087 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  12:09:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One word "OUTSTANDING"

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

ChrisS
Engine Wiper

118 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  12:25:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really a phenomenal layout, Frederic. I'd also like to see a trackplan and hear a little more about what your expansion plans are.
Go to Top of Page

wvrr
Fireman

5239 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  12:55:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow. Frederic, that is outstanding!

Chuck

Wyoming Valley Railroad
http://sites.google.com/site/wvrails/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 36 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000