Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 36

AVRR-PA
Fireman

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  06:32:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Frederic --

I have subscribed to this thread - it's just such a pleasure to watch you work!

Don
Go to Top of Page

visman48
Fireman

USA
5348 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  06:33:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Frederic,
Wow is about all I can say and hope to achieve in my work. You gotta stop raising the bar for the rest of us. I really like this...

Les

My forum build links;
Big Horn and Moose Creek :http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22704&whichpage=1
Locomotives: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20279
Railcars: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17827
Go to Top of Page

Sully
Fireman

USA
2610 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  09:39:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great building, very nice scene and terrific photography!....sully
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17636 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  7:17:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Martin. I don't move as fast as I'd wish with real life interference but this one hasn't been too bad.

Tom, Jim, thanks for the comment.

Wes, neither the tank nor the house have yet been attached permanently (by the way, even the tank is still in three parts. It was a pleasant job, cutting an empty roll of sopalin like paper, then wrapping it with two pieces of corrugated, a bit of paint : Polly Scale concrete followed by Vallejo base grey, a few touches of pastel, et voilà!). Some of my french friends didn't seem very eager to spend a night here with the grumble of the waterfall, though...

Thanks, Don. I'll try to post on a more regular pace to this thread. It should be easier now that Dave's Corner seems to near completion.

Les, I just try to make the best modelling I can. The many years spent here on the forum learning, reading, watching, have certainly contributed to improve them. While the Sn3 layout has been dormant most of this time - some times even close to complete removal - it certainly benefits today from this long period.

Thanks Sully. There should be soon some additionnal pictures you might like. And I'll also try not to forget to shoot the unsteady support I sometimes put the camera on for some shots.

Tonight, I've tried my hand at something else, in the logging part of the layout. I first removed a few trees from old dioramas to reuse them here, and I brought my paint tubes and a few brushes...

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

kirk
Fireman

Sweden
4737 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  01:10:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice Frédéric. Fine, natural hues to the whole scene...

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden
http://coastline.no13.se
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25320 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  07:59:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic, that little structure has added a lot to the overall scene.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3
Go to Top of Page

slimrails

USA
7546 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  08:48:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like the broken boards with exposed framing...another piece of artwork! Great job, Frederic! [:-bigmouth] [:-thumbu]
Go to Top of Page

Randy May
Crew Chief

668 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  5:28:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey Frederic,
I really love how that cabin turhed out,
I think I'd like to build a couple myself for a couple of the married miners on my layout,
to the left of my mine building I want to make a mild slope down to the mine, coming out of that corner,
and a couple of cabins like these up on piers would just fit the bill,
coming down the hill to the mine,

your cabin gives me good inspiration for that area of my layout,
very cool,
thanks Frederic,
keep up the good work,
love to follow,
Randy
Go to Top of Page

Randy May
Crew Chief

668 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  5:31:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What was the scale footprint dimenions on that cabin?
Randy
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17636 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  6:22:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to all of you.

Troels, could you give me some ideas about the logical paint mix that could allow me to obtain a redder brown on the backdrop trees, closer to that of the 3D tree? Is it simply a matter of adding a drop of red to the burnt umber? I'll have a number of such trees to add to my painted backdrop and considering the narrowness of the shelf (about 10" deep), I'd want them to look pleasant...

Bruce and Russ, it's interesting to see how adding just a few details can turn a small, possibly plain, into an interesting structure. As I already mentioned, my only merit there was to discover a fine subject in Narrow Gauge Downunder.

Randy, a row of cabins along the slope would certainly be a realistic detail as one could see this in many mining or logging camps. The building footprint is 10' x 20'. The height is 11' at the bottom of the roof, 16' at the top. I used these heights to follow the small structure challenge rules, but the cabin could probably be a couple of feet less high.

An update to the cabin project. The scenicing of the area surrounding the diorama base is essentially complete, and I could even start to plant some trees...

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

milocomarty
Fireman

Netherlands
5906 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  6:45:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is a fantastic scene, this small cabin blends in so natural. You're truely a master in modeling, learn so much just by studying the pictures...thanks Frederic..

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Randy May
Crew Chief

668 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  6:53:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic,
I'm sure glad the loggers left some of those big trees,
cause they sure make for an awesome scene,
WOW!...BIG TREES AND WOODEN STRUCTURES!!!!!
its a stunning scene thats developing for you Frederic,
its a real pleasure to see it!
Randy
Go to Top of Page

kirk
Fireman

Sweden
4737 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  12:46:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Breathtaking development of the scene!! Your landscaping is spot on! The mix for the background tree brown would begin with a burnt umber with a light orange mixed in. If you have the naples yellw RED (from Van Gogh, Amsterdam or Rembrandt) it will lighten the mix very well too. A suitable orange is directly available as a Mars Orange in the Vallejo artist line, but a yellow ochre mixed with a bright red should do the trick as well... Have fun!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden
http://coastline.no13.se
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17636 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  5:44:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Martin, thanks for the very kind compliment. It's fully appreciated.
Randy, more trees are on their way to this part of the layout, as you will see later. And I might replace these ones by other with longer branches to add mystery and give a more special flavour with the cabin sort of wrapped inside the green.
Troels, thanks for the color help. I may go to the paint store to complete my available range of shades tomorrow.

I've started cutting the heavy timber for a snowshed. It's the last major element to complete the Alexandria scene (along with the final installation of the bridge, which will also require some timber to make the four bents). After this, I should be able to complete the scenery of this part of the layout and declare it done.

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

Randy May
Crew Chief

668 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  6:23:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[:-bigeyes]
Frederic,
I look at your pre big trees pics and that last shot with the big trees in the foreground,
and I think they make the scene fill deeper,
a sense of more depth,
the big trees in the foreground seem to push the mine further back,
I don't know, maybe its just me,
but as I see it I really like the greater 3 dimeninal depth
the big trees in the foreground seem to give,
[:-bulb]
I'm keeping that in mind for my layout,
very cool!

Randy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 36 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic