Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 36

akimmons
Fireman

USA
1368 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2010 :  09:34:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work Frederick! The waterfall is outstanding and really makes the scene pop! Thanks for sharing your technique!

Arnold Kimmons
General Manager
Royal & Edisto Railroad
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19182
Go to Top of Page

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

USA
5203 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  12:36:59 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just getting caught up in here- what an amazing waterfall! it is one of the best I have seen and reminds me of the masterpiece that Malcolm Furlow built for the DRCW.

Arthur

Arthur

Cielo Vista Railway (on30)
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17629 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  6:21:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to all of you my friends.
Even if the amount of progress on the layout has not been that spectacular in 2010 since I was very busy all year long with Dave's Corner, this year was that of the rebirth of the project, and it's quite important too.
I hope to find some time to rework on the neighbour scenes soon.

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

Tommatthews
Fireman

8448 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  6:35:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederick,

Your project looks great. When you get a chance can you explain how you made your waterfall and what materials were used?
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17629 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  6:53:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll try to do it, Tom. And there may be more waterfalls a little further (not sure, though). If I decide for them, I'll try to document the process.
Basically, the first layer was done with heavy gloss gel by liquitex. It started white with a good amount of volume, dried clear and lost part of its volume. Then I used WS water effects (or a name like this) which was white too and was supposed to dry clear, which it never did. It was not too bad on pictures but not in real life, and it lacked relief. So I relied upon the technique I had used for the upper part many years ago, and sort of sculpted some silicone translucent sealant (using a screwdriver and cleaning it often to avoid that the sealant stay glued to it). The sealant goes out from the tube in a shape that looks like water flowing from the waterfall so it's really a good medium and with some use you can make it go really where you want. In places where I wanted a more "foamy" look I used some white aquarium cotton, which I applied in as airy a way as I could. Then I added some colours with white and ice blue paint, plus several coats of gloss varnish. Looks like a long process but when I started with the right method, it was a matter of two or three evenings (to let everything dry between two steps).

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

milocomarty
Fireman

Netherlands
5905 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  7:58:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing, maybe something where it's usefull pops up in anearby future...

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

USA
5203 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2010 :  10:14:32 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I hope you will get back to work on this wonderful layout of yours. I look forward to more updates soon.

Arthur

Arthur

Cielo Vista Railway (on30)
Go to Top of Page

Twist67
Engine Wiper

Germany
188 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  07:40:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Twist67's Homepage  Send Twist67 an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Frederic,
Your layout is looking awesome.Great buildings and scenery....As I looked to your pictures I thought about some things on my own layout,....the way I want to do the mountains and rocks,etc....Your rocks are looking so real...and the waterfall is also fantastic....
One question wfor theclear silicon sealant.Do you mean the silicon you use to seal the shower in your bathroom for example?
Keep the pictures coming.Amazing work,
Cheers,Chris
Go to Top of Page

Ensign
Fireman

Canada
5200 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  11:33:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bonjour Frederic, first I must say that I am so sorry for not visiting your beautiful layout sooner. Now that waterfall next to the Alexandria mine is the BEST!!! I have ever seen. The colours and textures in your rock is stunning! The structures are exactly what I would expect from you, perfect!Please forgive me for not visiting your layout sooner.I will be back to visit the Lake Itasca Railway & Navigation Co.many times in the future!Keep up the great work that inspires!

Greg Shinnie
Go to Top of Page

wvrr
Fireman

5247 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  11:54:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great technique on the waterfall, Frederic. I think I recall reading about using silicon for waterfalls in one of the magazines, years ago. The author ran a bead of the silicon and then dragged a comb through it, perpendicular to the bead, creating long strings of the silicon. Your waterfall is really well done, just as I remember how that article looked. If I have an opportunity to create a waterfall on my layout, I'll definitely refer back to your technique and the magazine. (I'll find the article once MR restores the magazine index, this month).

Chuck

Wyoming Valley Railroad
http://sites.google.com/site/wvrails/
Go to Top of Page

Tommatthews
Fireman

8448 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2011 :  10:46:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederick

Nice to see that Sn3 has found a new home.
Looking forward to following along.
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17629 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2011 :  12:52:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having the thread relocated made me see I hadn't answer some very easy questions.

Chris, yes, the silicon sealant I refer to is the bathroom variety. Just be sure to take the translucent variety, not the white one (which perhaps would be a good tool for a foamy look, maybe I'll try this someday too).
Greg, thanks for your always nice comments.
Chuck and Tom, many thanks too. Have you found this MR reference, Chuck? I remember an article by Geoff Nott in 2000 (I would say the december issue, but it was more dedicated to smaller waterfalls between small ponds at different levels).

Frederic Testard
Go to Top of Page

elwoodblues
Fireman

Canada
5779 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2011 :  2:06:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Frederic,

Don't know how I missed this threasd till now but that has to ber one of the best waterfall scenes I've seen. period. In fact, the whole area including the mine looks spectacular.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://www.cvry.ca
Go to Top of Page

Randy May
Crew Chief

668 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2011 :  8:07:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Frederic,
today I noticed the Sn30 forum,
and there was your layout thread,