New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SteveJager
New Hire

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  2:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi!

Looking to get a light gray, bleached weathering to some wood parts. The kind of dirty light gray color youd find on a boardwalk that's been exposed to sun and rain and foot traffic for a decade or a dry piece of driftwood.

Saw some driftwood stain at the hardware store but not sure what it will do to my model. Tried airbrushing light gray paint on the wood parts then partially sanding it out.

Results are not as nice as some of the work I've seen here. What's in your bag of tricks?

Thanks !
Steve

jknapp
Fireman

USA
2534 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  2:50:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit jknapp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Steve....a real simple method is to brush on some alcohol and ink (1 bottle of rubbing alcohol mixed with a drop or two of Higgins black ink).

John Knapp
Sellersville, PA

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/photo_album_cat.asp?sqldtl=1292

Edited by - jknapp on 04/15/2008 2:51:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

SteveJager
New Hire

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  3:32:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John

Thats my usual method and it works well, but darkens the wood. I'm wanting lighter shade to simulate old sun-bleached wood.

Thanks!
Steve
Go to Top of Page

K36-488
Section Hand

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  3:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit K36-488's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Steve,

Alcohol and India ink solution is one method, along with Silverwood stain from Builders in Scale. But to me, both methods lack depth, so I use them as a starting point. From there I use acrylics from Winsor & Newton. Get some white, black, raw umber, burnt sienna, etc.. Put them in one of those artist paint trays and get some alcohol out also. Dip your brush in the alcohol then get some paint and brush it on the wood. You can then apply more alcohol and get the paint to spread out. Get another color on the brush and blend it with the previous color. Repeat with what ever colors you need to achieve the desired look you are after.

Dennis

www.ocngm.com
Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  4:47:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve, I have an article in PDF format that might be of some interest to you. It's titled "Staining Stripwood, Part 2" and the info on the last page might be close to what you're seeking (or at least give you some ideas). It's on the Downloads page of my website, if you're interested:
http://homepage.mac.com/michael21/CMShome/cmshome.html

The steps I outline in the article are too lengthy to try posting here.

Go to Top of Page

Ho Henry
Crew Chief

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  8:33:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve:

Get into the following habit,write down the amount of parts per color used when you develope the color your looking for on a 3 x 5 index card so you can always refer back to your notes at a later date if you have to.

MIKE C

Thanks for the excellent tutorials. GREAT SITE BY THE WAY.

ho henry

Go to Top of Page

Chester
Fireman

2708 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  9:08:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to try to get the color of bleached out worn wood with a variety of concoctions. What I've figured out looking at a lot of docks and driftwood here in Maine is that although the overall color is that of a silvery white, there's a lot more colors that need to be there. I paint my wood with a thinned Polyscale grimy black which helps raise the grain a bit too adding more texture. Then I hit it with some powders in the dark brown and green. The final touch is a good going over with white dry brushed on leaving cracks and low spots showing the dark. I found the white RubnBuff is easy to control. Maybe a light dusting of a light tan powder if it's still not light enough.

http://modelingin1-87.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Darryl L Huffman
Engine Wiper

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  10:12:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darryl L Huffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Paint your wood with white primer like Kilz 2 and let dry. Brush on Black Liquid Rit Dye diluted to half strength with water.

That's how I did the wood on this model.

Go to Top of Page

hminky
Fireman

1074 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  11:24:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit hminky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Black oil paint wash thinned with the non-smell turpentine also works well over the kilz2 primer on wood.

Harold
Go to Top of Page

Wallace
Engine Wiper

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  12:39:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About 50 years ago, I was told that in the Motion picture industry the painters would coat wood with a creosote paint, then cover that with flat white housepaint. The creosote would leach through the paint, to produce a light gray weathered look. The example I saw was of an excellent shade.
Go to Top of Page

kathymillatt
Engine Wiper

United Kingdom
297 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  03:48:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit kathymillatt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Steve

My most recent attempt has been to put on a black wood stain (Colron tudor black oak) which I found an old tin of.

I let it dry and then sand it back down to a grey colour. I've been quite impressed how it has come out and you can sand as little or as much as you want.

Regards

Kathy

www.kathymillatt.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.26 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000