New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  1:07:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You guys are so funny. I am sitting here reading your comments and laughing my head off. I have the front wall finished now, I'll post a pic soon, thanks for the instructions, I will see if it works. If it shows up, it did...[:-boring] That was the only part that really needed doing over from scratch. I am lucky, in many ways, that I save some stripwood over when I build something, so all I had to do was cut some more stripwood to size.

Someone asked how I colored the stripwood? John was it? Anyway, I dip the stripwood, while still 11" long, in some india ink and alcohol mix, 1 teaspoon concentration, let dry, then I take some Terra Cotta color Americana acrylic paint and just paint it on, not doing a full coverage, just a little on the brush at a time, and vigorously wiping it on. When that is dry, add more alcohol ink and your ready to go. Same with the white trim, but used antique white by Delta Ceramcoat. Sometimes I come back after the walls are up and touch a little weathered chalks here and there, but can't remember if I did on this model or not.
Storms over, for now.
I actually wasn't as upset about what I did to the model as I thought I was going to be, I just walked around the house for 5 minutes to gather my thoughts, got a cuppa tea and settled in to looking at the damage. After I sorted it all out, I was able to piece a lot back, like a jig saw puzzle, but I made one change. I left a small section of planks off and boarded up the "hole" with shorter salvaged boards. Looks like a real repair job.
Tony

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Tommatthews
Engineer

9572 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  3:14:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[:-thumbu]

Tom M.
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  4:12:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tommatthews

[:-thumbu]

Tony

Tony Burgess
Go to Top of Page

Don Brimmer
Fireman

USA
1874 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  5:35:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great build before and after the storm!!
Go to Top of Page

TrainClown
Fireman

Canada
1584 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  8:08:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking real good, Nelson.

I really like the way you stained the wood. The cross-bracing is perfect!

Christopher [:-clown]

Clowning around with trains.

Go to Top of Page

Mike Hamer
Engineer

11492 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  9:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Holy cow, Tony! What a story behind this scratchbuild. Nice to see the resurrection! [:-thumbu][:-thumbu]

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  9:40:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, Chris and Don, thanks. I am working on the stone structure part of it now, with some SSLtd machines in it. The window treatment is something new I have done, sandwiching two windows back to back with some clear styrene in the center, with some broken panes. I took one of the windows and filed one face flat as the styrene would flop around inside otherwise, plus it made the styrene glass flat against both windows and made it look more real. Since I will be detailing the interior, I felt this was important as it would be seen.

Here is a picture of the window before I cemented it all together:

Tony Burgess
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13313 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  10:01:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tony for the description of how you colored your wood.
Yes, it was me.
I am always looking for additional ways to color mine.

Window looks good and will be looking forward to more updates to this thread.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.
Go to Top of Page

northern6400
Fireman

Canada
3489 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  09:02:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony thanks for sharing your project and your story of the storm. After one of my grandkids did some minor damage to one of my structures his Daddy said It's OK son, it is just wood and Grandpa can fix it." And I did. No big deal in comparison to the other tragedies others face in our world.

Chuck Faist
Burlington, Ontario
Enjoy yourself it is later than you think!
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  09:29:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your right Chuck, although it may be frustrating and an inconvienience at times, it can be fixed. In some cases maybe re-done alltogether, but after all, unless you have a lot of money into a project that was totally destroyed, it can actually be a good thing. sometimes they turn out better, or it forces you to do that modification you feared but would have liked to do but thought, well, I already have it built, so I can't do anything to it now. I mainly wanted to show people that not all is lost if tragedy strikes.

Tony Burgess

quote:
Originally posted by northern6400

Tony thanks for sharing your project and your story of the storm. After one of my grandkids did some minor damage to one of my structures his Daddy said It's OK son, it is just wood and Grandpa can fix it." And I did. No big deal in comparison to the other tragedies others face in our world.

Tony Burgess
Go to Top of Page

Nelson458
Fireman

USA
3151 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  12:05:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Although this is not complete, still a LOT of details I want to add, I thought I would share what I am up to at this time. It also helps to see some details before I add all the belting and stuff. Any thoughts? I know the 'machine shop' is rather small and cramped, but one I have to compress it somewhat so it doesn't wverwhelm the model, plus, ol' man Bulger didn't expect to aquire so many machines.

Tony Burgess

Tony Burgess
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17652 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  04:52:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, very nice work on the garage and the machine shop extension. The way you repaired the devastating effects of the tornado is quite impressive!
Go to Top of Page

time2play
Fireman

Canada
1143 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  08:39:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, excellent work on the machinery drive detailing. Thanks for posting these pictures - they really help.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13313 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  10:14:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,

Very nice modeling of the machinery for the shop.[:-thumbu][:-thumbu]

You wouldn't by chance remember who makes the details such as the lathe.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
12987 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  10:49:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking build Tony and really nice looking machinery!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000