Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Larry Baker
Fireman

USA
1605 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  2:50:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking model, Tim. Like the way it is placed on your railroad.
Go to Top of Page

GNTRR
Section Hand

95 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  5:13:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a note, for Mike and any one else that is building or going to build Cats Head. The other side of the model is just as interesting if not more so than the side shown in the picture. So plan on an area on your layout that can be viewed from both sides.

Tim
Go to Top of Page

Mike Hamer
Engineer

11295 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  5:19:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim, the structure looks pretty impressive on your layout. Thanks for sharing! [:-thumbu][:-thumbu]

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13263 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  5:56:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent looking modeling as well as a very well done scene.
This is the first picture I have seen of a completed Cat's head and it is definitely impressive.

The little barge looks like the Bomar Utility barge from FOS.
I have a couple or three of these to build myself.

Also if you have any other pictures of your waterfront area would you please post them.

Mike,
it looks as if you are off to a great start on yours and I am looking forward to progress pictures.

As for the look of creosote I have read that black leather shoe dye mixed with alcohol looks more like creosote than an A&I mixture.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.
Go to Top of Page

Rick
Administrator

USA
21496 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  6:33:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, excellent job on your Cat's Head and the whole scene in general.

Looks like a SRMW Car/Diesel Shop in the background. There's a construction thread for that structure too. If you have pictures of it I'd please like to see them.

As you think, so will you be.
Go to Top of Page

agoodsign
New Hire

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  7:14:28 PM  Show Profile  Send agoodsign an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Lookign forward to watching this build. I built Cat's Head about 5 years back, it's an extremely enjoyable kit to build (as are all of Sheepscot's models). However, once finished I decided I wasn't 100% happy with it because the kit makes no provision (and only minimal reference in the manual) for unloading the hoppers on the through trestle. I can't believe I didn't notice this while building the kit. I started deconstructing my model hoping to "kitbash" some form hopper or other unloading mechanism, but that ended up being a futile effort to say the least. In the end, I started over and began scratchbuilding a slightly modified version of Cat's Head (which to this day is only about half done), complete with hoppers to unload hoppers on the trestle, and some other added details I felt the kit left off. I've got some photos of it somewhere, I'll dig them out and post them if I can find them. Hopefully this thread will get me off of my behind and inspire me to finish the model.

In the mean time, as you're building, I'd encourage you to think ahead and consider if you want to add some form of unloading option for the lower trestle, it's alot easier to add it now!
Go to Top of Page

friscomike
Crew Chief

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  9:54:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GNTRR

Just a note, for Mike and any one else that is building or going to build Cats Head. The other side of the model is just as interesting if not more so than the side shown in the picture. So plan on an area on your layout that can be viewed from both sides.

Tim

Thanks for posting the pic Tim. I agree with the pier side of the facility. Ours is on a peninsula with easy viewing from both sides. The pier with have an office, outhouse, etc. adding further interest.

Your photo was very good for showing the pier in situs. If other builders have photos, please post them.

Happy Trails,
mike

[:-cowboy]
Go to Top of Page

Peterpools
Engineer

USA
12335 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  07:37:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim
Thank you for post your build of the Cat's Head Pier. Very nicely done.
Peter[:-kitty]
Go to Top of Page

GNTRR
Section Hand

95 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  5:15:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings, Mike I have added a photo that I took this afternoon of the back side (the delivery side). The other photo is the Hocking Brothers kit that I mention earlier.

Rick sharp eye on the SRMW Car/Diesel Shop. I do have a few pic's, any particular place you would like me to post them?

See Ya, Tim
Go to Top of Page

Texas~Lexus
New Hire

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  10:27:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Mike! Anxiously awaiting your next set of photos. Cat's Head will be a fine addition to the Houston Harbor
Go to Top of Page

Rick
Administrator

USA
21496 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  10:33:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GNTRR

Rick sharp eye on the SRMW Car/Diesel Shop. I do have a few pic's, any particular place you would like me to post them?

Tim, this thread would be good: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5780

As you think, so will you be.
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17638 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  4:40:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice shots, Tim.
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
30125 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  4:50:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

Boy, you have picked a great project for the first winter of your retirement! This is a neat looking kit, as Tim's pictures have shown.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3
Go to Top of Page

friscomike
Crew Chief

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  9:56:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Howdy folks,

Well, I washed my hands, used antibacterial gel, and took a flu shot, but it did me no good. I caught one heck of a case of the flu, first since 1976. I am still not 100%, but I managed to sneak a bit of work on Cat's Head.

The following photos depict the approaches I took for constructing the slope sheet, slope sheet braces, and unloader building sides.

The slope sheet was made from .010" plastic, painted with rust colored primer, then spotted with silver in three spots near the top edge. The silver will represent the sheet iron rubbed and polished by dropping sand and gravel. I followed with numerous coats of Dr Ben's rust colors and washes I made from India Ink, alcohol and rust powder. I'll work it a bit more, once I decide how high up the sheet the sand and gravel will come.

The slope sheet braces were made from 4X10 lumber and glued into place with white glue using a gluing jig. You can see it in the photos. After the glue dried, I simply lifted up on the long guide and the jig popped right up. Granted I had to wait until the glue dried, but I spent the time working on the unloader sides.

To make a template for the building sides, I scanned the HO scale sheet, flipped it in MS Paint, then used double stick tape to hold the 2X6 boards on the template. You can see the shine from the tape in the photo. Once the side boards were on the template, I glued 1/8 on the back for strength. I flipped it over and added nail holes at the board junctions and at predefined distances on the siding. I haven't built a vertical siding structure in a while, so I forgot to make the board end cuts on a line that would have been a horizontal brace. This would have aligned the nail holes perfectly. Alas, I had the flu...lol.

Next I'll start or the back and front of the unloader plus the sand bins on the trestle.

As for the rest of the pier, I have the design about finished. It now has an outhouse, office building, tool building, crawler clamshell, and sand and gravel bins.

Thanks for all the encouragement folks. Holler with new ideas...

Happy Trails,
mike

[:-cowboy]

Edited by - friscomike on 02/27/2008 10:38:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
30125 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  11:22:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better.

The slope sheet looks really good, as does the wall. Keep the progress photos coming.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000