Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

friscomike
Engine Wiper

USA
499 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  11:38:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Howdy,

Here is the chronicle of Cat's Head Pier construction. The pier will be located in the Houston Harbor of the Texas Western MRC and renamed Gulf Sand and Gravel. Barges will service the pier.

The attached photos are
1. Photo of what is in the box (contents are not really a 2X4 and razor blades as I may previously implied)

2. Construction of the pier bents using magnetic jib

3. Spacers between bents

4. Bent constuction

5. Alignment during bracing

5. Finished bents ready for slope sheet and bins

Further progress will be reported when progress has been made!

Best Regards,
mike
[:-cowboy]

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17748 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  12:22:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work, carefully and precisely done, Mike.
Go to Top of Page

Cigarguy
Fireman

USA
3894 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  12:38:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will be fun to watch your progress on this build, Mike. This kit was the second Sheepscott kit that I built (the barge being the first). I added quite a few walkways and hand railings to my finished model. Good luck with the build!

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"
Go to Top of Page

Peterpools
Engineer

USA
12335 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  12:47:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike
This is a classic Sheepscot kit that will build into a beautiful diorama. Looking forward to this thread.
Peter [:-kitty]
Go to Top of Page

tobitz
New Hire

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  6:22:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice build! Looking forward to seeing this beauty go up. I was wondering, does anyone have a list of what Sheepscot came out with? I have attempted a google search and found nothing. I know they had the barge, the station and the red herring cannery, are there others?

Pete from VT
Go to Top of Page

Mike Hamer
Engineer

10407 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  7:31:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like a great kit, Mike. Nice weathering of the wood. Glad you took it on and am looking forward to regular updates. Nothing like putting the pressure on! [:-eyebrows][:-eyebrows]

Edited by - Mike Hamer on 02/11/2008 5:16:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13150 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  9:37:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tobitz

Nice build! Looking forward to seeing this beauty go up. I was wondering, does anyone have a list of what Sheepscot came out with? I have attempted a google search and found nothing. I know they had the barge, the station and the red herring cannery, are there others?

Pete from VT

Hopefully someone like Chester who knows George the owner personally will be able to supply a list.
I also like the Sheepscot kits and if you search Sheepscot in eBay and eliminate all except the models you will get some of them.

The secondary market is the only way to buy them for while Sheepscot is still in business he is only producing vehicles at this time.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.
Go to Top of Page

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

USA
5877 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  9:56:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mike,

This will be fun to follow along. The sheepscot kits are some of the best in my opinion. George's instructions might leave your head scratching, but that is all part of the fun.

Some of the other kits that Sheepscot had was:

Arcadia granite
Lime company
Red Herring
Hawks nest
A couple of barges
Several cranes that are very nice.

I am sure there are more, I just can't think of them right now.

Go to Top of Page

SteveW
Engine Wiper

USA
464 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  10:11:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is great to see another Sheepscot kit coming alive. I'm a great fan of George's structure kits. My partial list of kits include the following

80 Foot Workboat
65’ Fishing Dragger
Red Herring Packing
C&L Barge No. 1
50 foot Yard Tug
150 Ton Coaling Tower
Beanfield Siding
Catshead Pier
Acadia Granite
Lime Kiln
B&M North Hampton Station
MC/B&M Standard Signal Tower
MC Freight & Baggage Building
Railroad Pilediver
Phillips Beach Station
Hocking Brothers Hoisting Co.
Water Tower

I'm looking forward to seeing how your Cats Head Pier takes shape.
Go to Top of Page

Gene
Fireman

USA
1230 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  12:18:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve, I have kit #'s 1,2,3,4,5,7,8,9,10,16,and 17 on your list.

Here are two more Sheepscot's kits I have also...
Kit #1311 - 80' Ferry
Kit #1231 - Crane & Barge

Love George's kits. Wish he was still making them. Especially with the resurgence in waterfront modeling today.

Edited by - Gene on 02/08/2008 12:19:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

friscomike
Engine Wiper

USA
499 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  03:03:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Howdy,

Thanks for the encouragement folks. I am enjoying the kit and always look forward to working on it.

I'm committed to a few family things over the next four days, so not sure I will be able to squeeze in much work on it. The slope sheets are in process now. Then I am thinking of taking a break from the trestle and working on the loader for a while.

For those of you who have built this kit, any tips will be appreciated! :-)

Happy trails,
mike
[:-cowboy]
Go to Top of Page

Locobreath
Engine Wiper

223 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  11:14:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Locobreath's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Friscomike:

I'm looking forward to this thread. I'm a big fan of Sheepscott's models and have several myself. I posted my completed C & L barge here a few months ago.

I also have Cat's Head Pier on my orphan shelf. Really looking forward to watching your progress. The kit looks like another Sheepscott challenge

Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

friscomike
Engine Wiper

USA
499 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  11:19:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Hamer

Looks like a grat kit, Mike. Nice weathering of the wood. Glad you took it on and am looking forward to regular updates. Nothing like putting the pressure on! [:-eyebrows][:-eyebrows]

The wood weathering is an experiment. Since the pier is in the south (Houston harbor), all kinds of critters would have been after the wood, so wood would likely have been treated with some type of creosote. Assuming the structure was built early in the century, by the 1945 timeframe, it would have been weathered heavily...so, weathered creosoted wood...hmmm.

To get that look, I mixed black India ink with an equal amount of water based Minwax stain (walnut), and put the mix in a pint of alcohol. I soaked the wood in the wash. After the wood dried, I distressed each piece with a brass wire brush. When assembly is complete, I'll use a mist of black India ink and alcohol hoping it goes into the distressed wood making it look very weathered with a hint of creosote. We'll see how it works. It looked good in tests.

Believe me, posting photos on this forum keeps you hopping and doing your best...

Happy trails,
mike
Go to Top of Page

Chester
Fireman

2669 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2008 :  09:38:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A local hobby shop has several of George's kits in stock and a few assembled and on display. I myself am always challenged by his kits, particularly the early ones but they have a terrific look when done. Good luck with Cat's Head Mike, looks great so far.

http://modelingin1-87.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

GNTRR
Section Hand

86 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  12:38:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Morning Mike. Nice job on Cats Head. I build this kit a number of years ago. I find all of the Sheepscot kits very enjoyable to build. I have added a photo of my build. I do not remember went I completed the kit or who took the photo. I saw your post,so I went to my pic's file to see if I had any pic's of Cats Head.

The photo shows Cat Head, 2 Sheepscot barges, one for for coal and one limestone blocks. The stone blocks are being lifted by the Hocking Brothers Hoisting Co. another Sheepscot kit. The area next to Hocking (out of sight) is reserved for the Arcadia Granite kit. It is low tide in the bay.

Looking forward to your next photos.

Tim
Go to Top of Page

Larry Baker
Fireman

USA
1605 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  2:49:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good start Mike. Looks like it's going to be a great build.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000