New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

jbvb
Fireman

USA
6517 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2019 :  07:55:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mike.

About 25 years ago, when I was doing scenic details for my Rowley module, I needed two crossbucks. For a module, they need to be tough, so I made a jig for code 100 rail and .015 brass. I used brads and followed B&M Standard Plan K52:

Last year I'd researched how many I'd need for Newburyport, and my stepson wanted to learn to solder, so I got out the jig. He's made two, but with everything handy I made six more for Ihrie St. in Bexley (three sidetracks cross it, 50-60 feet apart). I believe Massachusetts law would have required a pair of crossbucks for each.

I might need two more for the GE River Works crossing. But I don't have photos and they may not have been required as it was private with a GE watchman.

Edited by - jbvb on 12/05/2019 07:57:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Orionvp17
Fireman

USA
7319 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2019 :  09:32:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those should last a day or three! Nicely done all around.

Are these headed for Springfield?

Pete
in Michigan
Go to Top of Page

jbvb
Fireman

USA
6517 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2019 :  10:40:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Pete. If you think this deserves a moment before that august group, I could certainly bring it, burn marks and all.
Go to Top of Page

Orionvp17
Fireman

USA
7319 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2019 :  10:46:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Thanks, Pete. If you think this deserves a moment before that august group, I could certainly bring it, burn marks and all.

I do indeed, and if the New Solderer is interested in joining the group, he's welcome! Seven weeks to go....

Pete
in Michigan

[edit]: I just posted the First Call for the meeting to the B&M "io" group.
-p

Edited by - Orionvp17 on 12/05/2019 11:08:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

jbvb
Fireman

USA
6517 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2019 :  9:48:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've got three structures in progress, this is the most photogenic at the moment:

Just before Tour De Chooch, Ron G. brought a kit for the B,R&P Ashford, PA tower by Railway Design Associates. I had a 'bundle of sticks' B&M tower kit from Sheepscot, but however I assembled it, it would be vulnerable to elbows in a switching area (it also seems to go for north of $100 these days). So after inspecting the moldings, I accepted.

Like other RDA products, the die work isn't delicate, but everything's well molded. And it looks a lot like the Lynn, MA tower, built during New Haven control before WWI. Lynn has 3 stories and 9 track-facing windows, the kit 2 stories and 7. I decided Bexley only need 5 track facing windows. I started cutting with the roof, but I realized the front wall should have come first before doing anything I regret.

Once I get the putty sanded, I can glue the concrete parts together and paint them. I hope I get some airbrush (window open) weather next week.
Go to Top of Page

Orionvp17
Fireman

USA
7319 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2019 :  10:06:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This looks like an interesting project, James. This looks a lot like the Waltham tower, too....

Looking forward to the results!

Pete
in Michigan

[edit]: Make that "reminds me of" instead of "looks like." The Waltham tower had squared off wall structure, not the fancy rounded ex-NH stuff. Window mullions appear to be brown, though, so that might answer a question you posed elsewhere.
-p

Edited by - Orionvp17 on 12/15/2019 10:53:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

jbvb
Fireman

USA
6517 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2019 :  11:22:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pete, the B&M's Waltham tower is brick with details similar several others built in the 1920s and 1930s - E. Deerfield, Johnsonville, Concord and Winchester appear to be most closely related. I'm not sure any beside Lynn were concrete in the NH/BR&P style.

This morning, pictures of my three in-progress structures:

Bexley tower fits together well, next I'll see if I need to trim the base. I won't use the clunky stairs RDA supplies.

I bought BEST's Colonial Georgian House version with the 'extension' that I consider the 'original house', as in Big House, Little House, Back House, Barn (e.g. my own place). So after making a new end for the Little House, I needed a new back wall for the Big House. Tichy #8024 6-over-6 windows fit the original 2-over-2 openings and will give more of the feeling I want for High St. in Newburyport.

I first saw 'Perplexing Puzzles Plus' (p3nh.com) in 2017 at a local show. This year I'm trying a 'Hardware Store' kit, which fits a footprint I need in Bexley. I like some of the prototype buildings that catch their eye, though they don't appear to be model railroaders and this kit had some execution errors: Roof too small for walls, top trim detail didn't fit, 'bricks' sized about right for HO cinderblocks. They seemed receptive to feedback, though.

Go to Top of Page

Orionvp17
Fireman

USA
7319 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2019 :  11:30:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, James, and yes, I sit corrected on the tower issues. Once I am able to negotiate stairs and visit my library again, I'll have better information available to help me avoid errors. I still think some of the picture books have info on that ex-NH tower.

Like the BEST house, too! It's in The Stash and needs to be resurrected and built....

Pete
in Michigan
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hohn
Fireman

USA
6516 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2019 :  12:04:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All three are interesting structures and Iím looking forward to seeing them go together. Youíre a skilled surgeon with styrene.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

jbvb
Fireman

USA
6517 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2019 :  9:20:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Pete and Michael. Recent progress has mostly been on Bexley Tower:

I got the joints pretty well cleaned up, airbrushed it Scalecoat Flat Aged Concrete and detail-painted the windows and doors. A minor annoyance (which might be major for others, but this kit was a gift) is that the box illustration isn't what's inside:

The model shown has a different stairway and the windows and doors appear to have been replaced with castings: I can see file marks around the door at the top of the stairs and the window below it.

But I'm satisfied with my paint job on the windows provided, and the Central Valley stairs look OK once detail painted. In trying to figure out how to do the train order signal, it turns out Lynn had an odd arrangement which will be invisible to visitors. But that turned up interior pictures. I intend to light it, and that will be it for my removable floor. So I'm detailing the interior (while thinking about a possible Merit Award towards Structures AP) before adding an LED. The train order signal will come last.
Go to Top of Page

Orionvp17
Fireman

USA
7319 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2019 :  9:26:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like the new version, James! Nicely done!

Springfield material!

Pete
in Michigan
Go to Top of Page

jbvb
Fireman

USA
6517 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2020 :  8:18:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Pete. For the New Year, I've been cleaning up in-progress projects; lots of little stuff but this view did improve today:

At this distance, Bexley Tower needs windows, a ground floor view block, an order board, lighting and more work on the interior that will be illuminated. Ron G. left his Bachmann 2-6-0 on the layout after Tour de Chooch. He hasn't been back, so I finally moved it out and put it away.

Perplexing Puzzles Plus's 'Hardware Store' kit is behind the Tower on the right - the retaining wall has been extended below it and landform has appeared to its rear.

Further progress not yet photographed:

- The Bexley Produce Terminal mock-up is now sitting on baseboard which will eventually support the final structure.
- Land is appearing around the new auto unloading platform.
- Slovacek's heating oil tank containment now has cinder ground cover.
- Bexley's inter-platform baggageway is under construction and the inbound canopy has been painted.
- Crossbucks have been erected (but not lettered).on Ihrie St. in Bexley and US 1 and Water St. in Newburyport.
Go to Top of Page

Grubes
Crew Chief

USA
613 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2020 :  8:40:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really looks nice James.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

jbvb
Fireman

USA
6517 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2020 :  1:49:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do any of my readers have Plastruct 3/16" styrene channel and a caliper? I'd like to know the distance between the flanges. I'm planning a model of GE River Works Building 41, which had only two floors with multi-sash windows, and I need a frame for a stack of window sashes 0.140 thick. Evergreen puts their flange thickness on their website, Plastruct doesn't.
Go to Top of Page

jbvb
Fireman

USA
6517 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2020 :  9:11:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Belated thanks, Dave.

I 'finished' the auto unloading platform next to the (future) Bexley Freight House over the past couple of days. Today I took some pictures which came out OK:

I thought daylight from the window spoiled this view, but when I got it on a big screen I liked it.

The old platform dates to the '70s while 'Bexley' was still 'Sawyer' on the Tech Model RR Club layout. Again, it looked much better on a big screen than the back of my camera.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000