Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 117

Harsco
Fireman

USA
1200 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  2:13:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce: just e-mailed my form this morning... I had previously agreed to host an ops session on Friday morning, so figured what the heck...since it'll already be cleaned up, why not? Now the hard part...finishing all these ongoing "projects" between now and then...three months and counting!
Go to Top of Page

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

USA
606 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  3:06:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Harsco

Bruce: just e-mailed my form this morning... I had previously agreed to host an ops session on Friday morning, so figured what the heck...since it'll already be cleaned up, why not? Now the hard part...finishing all these ongoing "projects" between now and then...three months and counting!

Terrific!
Glad to have you 'on board' for the Princeton Junction convention Sept 30 to Oct 3. Your visitors will be awestruck [:-bigeyes] by your efforts and you will receive numerous kudos. Thanks again!

Eric

PS:Princeton Junction is listed on the RRL forum events calendar with a link to the web site.

Edited by - dlwrailfan1 on 06/27/2010 3:16:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25245 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  4:18:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad to hear that, Rick.[:-thumbu]

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3
Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10372 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  5:43:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Me too! As you can see, Rick's 'futzing' around produces some neat stuff! Looking back, it's amazing what he has accomplished in a relatively short period of time. So now that it's official, if your coming to Princeton Junction, put Rick's layout on the list of those to see. You won't be disappointed!!!

Mark

See my homepage at http://home.comcast.net/~prrndiv/
Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10372 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  12:00:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I threatened Rick that I'd call him out on the carpet, so here it is. I saw Rick last night and he was sharing some pics of his layout and some of the projects he recently completed and WOW! He has kitbashed two transfer cabeese, among other things. He has pictures. They are gorgeous! Rick?

Mark

Go to Top of Page

Harsco
Fireman

USA
1200 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  10:29:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What?

Oh...progress.....umm...let's see....

As Mark alluded, there's been lots o futzing with many small things, including the idler/transfer cabins/cabeese...more later when I organize the pictures into some usable sequence. Meanwhile, while trying to exactly that, I was wandering through the ole picture pile and noticed these two almost identical pictures of John R working one of the thrice daily slag train runs almost exactly two years apart...the first was taken 8/2/08, the second on 7/23/10:

Kinda eerie.....LOL. Poor John, he always seems to get stuck with the slag run.....
Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10372 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  11:41:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a really cool set of pics. Shows just how much you have gotten done!

Mark

Go to Top of Page

hunter48820
Fireman

USA
6102 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2010 :  08:01:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rick,
What a difference with the scenery in place. It looks great!!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI
Go to Top of Page

Grubes
Engine Wiper

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2010 :  08:21:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A definite difference, same train, but probably feels totally different with the scenery. Also fun to see the changes in the scenery in the background.

Great progress Rick.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Harsco
Fireman

USA
1200 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2010 :  10:03:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As promised, I've organized some pics and have an "update" so to speak.

One of the many frustrations that HTRR hot movement operators face is the rule that an idler car has to be placed between the hot material and the crew; in the case of locomotives, the long hood serves as sufficient protection, which means they have to constantly maneuver an idler to protect the crew in the cabin.

Steam Nut garners the credit for coming up with a solution: putting together HTRR "cabins" that also serve as idlers...in other words, transfer cabins.

After a bit of mulling, research, and rooting through boxes of scrap parts, I came up with using an existing Red Caboose flatcar as the basis for HTRR #23:

The cabin itself was kitbashed from a cut down Eastern Car Works Northeastern caboose kit, which luckily included a selection of different ends (more on that later).

Since #23 is supposed to represent the older of two cabins, I used Tichy catwalk handrails to protect the crew, along with cast steps from the Eastern Car Works kit to get the basic shape, adding a tool box and cut down roof walk.The end railings were swiped from the Eastern kit. Cut levers, ladders, and grabs finished things up.

The second idler/transfer cabin, #24, is supposed to be "newer", so I dug a little deeper into my scrap box, extracted an old Athearn bay window caboose, removed the body, added a couple pieces of Evergreen channel to the sides, then attempted to scratchbuild a newer style body....the results of which were disappointing:

Despite using what I thought were "prototypical" dimensions (derived from available window and door sizes,the cabin looked grossly oversized, especially when compared to #23's:

Wanting to retain a family look, I decided instead to use the other half of the Eastern Car Works cabin body for #24, but make it a bit different by moving the walkway and handrails in using a Tichy catwalk and pipe railings. The end rails were salvaged from an old Proto caboose I no longer had any need for. Since it was "newer", I decided to leave off the roof walks

After adding a few other details - a toolbox, yard and main line antennas, cut levers, and hand grabs, everything was packed up and sent to the Steam Nut Paint Works for a coat of HTRR Safety Yellow:

Now came the hard part: deciding on a lettering scheme. Since the HTRR is a wholly owned subsidiary of Harrisburg Steel Corporation (HARSCO), they wouldn't spend a lot of money on anything elaborate. Using Microscale lettering sets, I came up with two different arrangements:

After a little weathering with chalks, the units were ready to replace two PRR cabins that are sorely needed for other staged trains...

Edited by - Harsco on 08/14/2010 10:06:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10372 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2010 :  10:35:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rick, these looks great! And not only do they look great, but they will help to solve a few operational problems as well!

Mark

Go to Top of Page

BBLmber
Fireman

USA
4674 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2010 :  11:24:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick, great transfer cabeese, your crews will appreciate being in out of the weather and further from that hot metal.

Mark

W,L,&E
Go to Top of Page

chooch41
Crew Chief

Canada
961 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2010 :  2:17:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful job on the maintenance cars. Great color. Keep the updates coming...
Go to Top of Page

Red P
Crew Chief

USA
976 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2010 :  5:27:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Red P a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looks good. [:-thumbu]
P

http://pcpanhandle.shutterfly.com/
Go to Top of Page

hunter48820
Fireman

USA
6102 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2010 :  7:24:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking transfer cabooses Rick. Very nicely done!!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 117 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.8 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000