Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 117

Harsco
Fireman

USA
1202 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  11:34:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe, thanks for the nice comments...I'm actually blushing...LOL. Throwing someone off the deep end of the pool is something that always bothers me, yet that's kinda what we did to you. Herr Street is really the central focus of a LOT of the layout's movements, so Joe got his education in a fast and furious manner. Being a teacher by trade and inclination, I keep noodling around with the idea of creating a Power Point to explain the steel making process and the movements it requires....sort of a picture story that will give a new operator a better idea of why they are making the moves that they are. I'm sure that it doesn't make a lot of sense in the beginning....

Go to Top of Page

jbvb
Fireman

USA
3109 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  12:25:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You and your friends have gotten a good deal of work done since I started reading this thread; congratulations...
Go to Top of Page

hunter48820
Fireman

USA
6105 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  7:50:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rick,
Looks like you had another great session. The layout is looking very nice and you continue to add more detail that just keeps giving it a much more finished look. I can't wait till I get to that point. Thanks for posting all the pics. They were very enjoyable.

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI
Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10471 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  8:08:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rick's progress is amazing! And yes, he is humble too! I'm amazed at the speed he assembles buildings, complete with weathering and details. Great job Rick!!!

The session was great! It was fun to be out on the road for the first time and put some of our work to the test. No complaints here! I was glad to get the Capital Street job, which I figured to be one of the more challenging... and was! Lucknow was also an interesting place to switch. From my perspective, all went well and everyone had fun.

Mark

See my homepage at http://home.comcast.net/~prrndiv/
Go to Top of Page

Harsco
Fireman

USA
1202 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2009 :  10:12:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although it's definitely prime time for any place other than a basement, I have managed to start (but not complete) yet another project....thanks to some unexpected inspiration.

Joe H stopped over the other day and while the two of us were ruminating on the as-yet-cast-in-concrete scene in Lucknow, told me about a feed mill he had photographed in Quarryville, Pennsylvania a few years ago. Since I had been thinking of adding another customer to the existing siding that serves Crosby Lumber, I asked him to sent them when he got a moment. Since Joe's a little older than me, I expected that he would suffer a "senior moment" and I would continue puttering around painting track and laying ballast. Before leaving, Joe managed to rearrange the existing buildings to open up a suitable area.

Here's what it looked like prior to Joe's visit:

And here's how he re-arranged everything to make room for a future Lucknow Feed & Seed:

True to his word, Joe sent the following pictures, which immediately struck me as not only being good for a smaller town like Lucknow, but easily bashable from readily available items. Here's two shots of the front side:

And a side view:

My first thought was: "Walther's modulars for the old feed mill section", followed quickly thereafter by: "Rix concrete block walls for the customer entrance/warehouse". This is when my modeling ADD kicks in: something strikes my fancy and whatever I was working on previously is suddenly dropped like the proverbial hot potato. After a few hours and a couple of false starts later, here's the basic mock up:

Naturally, I'm exercising modeler's license and shortening things up a little to fit the available space. The existing siding will be extended to the rear of the new customer, which will add a bit more switching spice for the Lucknow Turn operators.

There's still a lot left to be done; a quick trip to the LHS was made to gather up materials for the elevator as well as some detail parts for the front of the building. In keeping with my modeling philosophy, the back of the building will be just plain ole styrene. The elevators and all it's associate piping will have to be scratchbuilt.

Lastly, I tried a method recently published in one of the magazines (or maybe it was here, Lord knows I have my share of senior moments!) for building trees using cloth-covered floral wire and pieces of hemp rope. While the jury's still out (I don't think they're dark enough to be evergreens), at least I DO have a couple of trees on the layout now!

Edited by - Harsco on 05/31/2009 10:17:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10471 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  01:04:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rick, I sure do like the future Lucknow Feed & Seed! A good combination of buildings. A little white paint will blend the two together nicely!

Mark

Go to Top of Page

hunter48820
Fireman

USA
6105 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  3:43:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rick,
Great to see the update. Always nice to see what you are up to. The new scene is looking good. Looking forward to seeing it when it is done!!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25347 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  6:54:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick,

That is indeed a neat customer for your railroad, and you are capturing the essence of the structure that Joe photographed nicely.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3
Go to Top of Page

lv4142003
Engine Wiper

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  10:43:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick, really looks good. Definitely captures the feel of the Quarryville Agway. Did you decide what to do about the wall behind? Joe H
Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10471 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  1:25:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You know Joe, I have to admit, you are full of good ideas! That building is a perfect fit on Rick's layout.

Mark

Go to Top of Page

Harsco
Fireman

USA
1202 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  06:40:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe is VERY full of......... good ideas, isn't he? LOL. As far as the back of the structure goes, it won't be finished since it won't be seen. I plan on modifying the prototype a little by building two separate grain/feed bins with a scratchbuilt elevator between them along with the associated piping. This is where my ignorance of feed mills surfaces. I presume that the feed is brought up one elevator, dumped into the bins, then dispensed and mixed together inside the brick portion. The second elevator I assume is used to bring the now finished product from the lower mixing area back up, then down another pipe to a loading area for bulk shipments to farmers.

I've finished the corrugated roof on the older brick section and now need to fabricate a small dormer/headhouse as shown in the pictures.
Go to Top of Page

lv4142003
Engine Wiper

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  10:16:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick, I'm not positive about the path the feed takes either. But, it doesn't really matter much since you're not modeling the cow. I was referring to the foam wall behind Lucknow. Have you come up with any ideas for it?. Hueber
Go to Top of Page

Harsco
Fireman

USA
1202 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  3:48:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good question....I used the old "timber cribbing" method at the start of the branch, but need something a little more substantial - and fairly long, to finish it. I'm thinking of using illustration board to model reinforced concrete like was done at Maclay.
Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10471 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2009 :  01:55:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking stonework there versus concrete. Stone I think represents an older structure, and in the more rural look of Lucknow, I think the stone would look better.

Mark

Go to Top of Page

akimmons
Fireman

USA
1368 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  1:38:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick,
The layout is really coming along! Send me a PM or email the next time you're having a work session; I'd love to see the layout and maybe even lend a hand!

Arnold Kimmons
General Manager
Royal & Edisto Railroad
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19182
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 117 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000