Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 117

hunter48820
Fireman

USA
6105 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  9:50:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like another great session Mark. Love the photos and descriptions that accompanies them. Your layout and the op sessions are really coming along nicely. Thanks for posting!!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI
Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10483 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2009 :  12:41:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great pictures from another great session Rick! We still have a little 'tweaking' to do with fine tuning the ops between the plants, as you already mentioned, as well as some track work issues, but all in all, I know everyone including myself had a great time! Yes, I enjoyed dispatching from the desk initially, but curiosity got the best of me and I just had to wander out to see all the action after a while. I'm glad I did because there was a lot to see!

You have come a long way my friend. Congratulations!!! And as you progress, watching your scenery, backdrops and buildings progress has become a pleasure! I already can't wait until the next session.

Mark

See my homepage at http://home.comcast.net/~prrndiv/
Go to Top of Page

Diamond Bill
New Hire

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2009 :  10:48:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it was a great session. This has already become one of the better Jersey layouts to operate on. It reflects the strong influence of Steam and Mark. They really know what they are doing when it comes to OPS. I look forward to future OPS. I think an area that could use some improvement is the Garlic Dip. By mid session the breath factor was intolerable. Not to mention the other special smells that wafted through the isle.
Go to Top of Page

lv4142003
Engine Wiper

USA
167 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2009 :  2:38:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just thinking about that garlic dip issue. If you were to put a bottle with a small straw sticking out of the bottom of it, on the wall in the dispatchers area, similar to the small ones in Hamsters cages, Mark could stay at the dispatchers desk and not bother us...... Hueber (let the mud slide begin!)
Go to Top of Page

Harsco
Fireman

USA
1202 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2009 :  5:17:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to give everyone an idea of what Bill and Joe are referring to, here's a picture I took of Mrs. Harsco delivering the evening's second batch of the infamous garlic dip:

Tim: thank you for the nice comments....it's greatly appreciated.

Bill: Obviously the dip has had a corrosive effect on your eyesight..."one of the better"? Obviously they're still watering!

Andy...., um, did you mean me or Mark? My ego still hasn't gotten over the recent demotion they gave me from Superintendent to Maitre'D .....plus Steam insisted on taking my throttle home with him "to fine tune it" or something along those lines. LOL

Edited by - Harsco on 01/25/2009 5:33:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10483 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  12:45:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No Rick, I think Andy had it right! I ran the session while you served the food. But hey, that was an important job for the night. That garlic dip is the best!

Mark

Go to Top of Page

Harsco
Fireman

USA
1202 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2009 :  5:11:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a quickie update; nothing stupendous has been accomplished...at this stage I'm just plugging away at filling up my cityscape. Here's Mock and Hartman, a Walther's building kitbashed to fit in the North Harrisburg switching area:

After taking advantage of some really low pricing for Walther's modular kits and making a fairly substantial purchase, work has started on the Maclay Street freight house:

Meanwhile, Commonwealth is slowly coming together as some more buildings get added:

This is a little electrical switching station cobbled together from letftover modular pieces using the "flour" mortar discussed in another thread:

Go to Top of Page

CDF
New Hire

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2009 :  5:22:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man that flour methods does a good job!
Go to Top of Page

hunter48820
Fireman

USA
6105 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2009 :  7:01:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rick,
I just started getting those Walther modular kits. They are really nice and the price right now, can't be beat!! I'm ordering about a dozen or so more this month.

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI
Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10483 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2009 :  11:40:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow Rick, Mock and Hartman looks great! You've been making some great progress. I have to head up your way to see this stuff in person one of these days!

Mark

Go to Top of Page

Harsco
Fireman

USA
1202 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2009 :  08:15:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Craig - I agree, although it's still very much a work in progress. I'm still experimenting with applying and removing the excess so as to make things a little neater.
Go to Top of Page

Harsco
Fireman

USA
1202 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2009 :  08:24:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hunter48820

Hi Rick,
I just started getting those Walther modular kits. They are really nice and the price right now, can't be beat!! I'm ordering about a dozen or so more this month.

I agree, Andy...they're (IMHO) a lot easier to work with than the DPM versions, although at regular pricing it can be a very expensive way to go. I like their fit and finish as well as versatility; the most tedious part is cleaning the flash off each part before gluing, since most of the sprue gates seem to be located on surfaces that will mate together. Getting things relatively straight is easy too, thanks to the pilaster strips being interlocked. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the product with two exceptions:

1) The connecting pilasters should be packaged in with the wall kits, that way you know you have enough for the sections you bought. Again, IMHO the six pieces packaged separately in the Wall Columns and Caps kit makes it difficult to estimate how many will be needed...running out is most definitely a possibilty.

2) At regular pricing ($10.00 per package), making up a structure can become a very pricy affair; in some cases more than if you purchased a full-blown kit and bashed it to suit your needs. Figure to make ANY structure you'll need separate wall, foundation, columns, and roof kits...that's $40.00 for one building with parts leftover. Walther's recently put everything on sale at 60% off, which addressed this shortcoming; hopefully the response was so positive that they'll consider lowering the price permanently.

Edited by - Harsco on 02/15/2009 08:26:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

CDF
New Hire

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2009 :  6:50:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick,
I am considering adding some weathering powder to the flour to get it a little more grey prior to application. I have no clue if it will work. I need to get another building to try it on. (Just wondering out loud)
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25362 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2009 :  7:36:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick,

Your cityscape is coming along nicely. I really do like the looks of the flour mortar.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3
Go to Top of Page

Harsco
Fireman

USA
1202 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  06:26:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CDF

Rick,
I am considering adding some weathering powder to the flour to get it a little more grey prior to application. I have no clue if it will work. I need to get another building to try it on. (Just wondering out loud)

Bruce..thanks for the comments...I'll keep everyone posted, but the going gets slow sometimes!

Craig: I'm one of those kind of people who can't resist experimenting; I like your idea of adding coloring to the flour. I also tried baking soda in lieu of flour and the results weren't as good (it seems slicker and doesn't stick as well).

Another possibility I might try is simply ground up chalk...or in this case, pastel chalks of different colors.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 117 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000