The Crew Lounge
 Table saw -> to Mitre saw
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ryTrain
Engine Wiper

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2007 :  12:38:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit ryTrain's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here we are just an ordinary 4 inch mini table saw.

Ta Da! And now we have a very scary looking home made contraption that kind'a looks like a mini mitre saw. [:-bigeyes]

I bought this china made table saw at the last train show I attended. Although it cuts well, the table was uneven and the guide grooves were crooked. So I converted it to a semi-mitre saw, well really a chop saw, maybe version 2 will do mitre cuts.

This was built with scrap pieces and parts, no trip to the home depot. Crazy! But it works.

-=Ryan

Larry Baker
Fireman

USA
1605 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2007 :  01:04:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cleaver Ryan. It would be interesting to see how you could adapt it to a miter saw.
Go to Top of Page

Peterpools
Engineer

USA
12335 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2007 :  04:42:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ryan
Good old American ingenuity.
Peter [:-kitty]
Go to Top of Page

Rick
Administrator

USA
23713 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2007 :  06:14:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty creative work Ryan. Nice job.
Go to Top of Page

TrainClown
Fireman

Canada
1584 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2007 :  07:36:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting use of that saw. I bought one and cut one piece of wood and then took it back and got my money back. I would have paid $110. for it if I had kept it. You seem to have found a solution to the lack-luster table. If I may say, I think you should put a backstop on the back edge of the table so you have something to hold your stock against. It looks dangerous without it. All you need then is a 45 degree insert and you could cut miter joints.

Christopher [:-clown]

Clowning around with trains.

Go to Top of Page

ryTrain
Engine Wiper

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2007 :  11:07:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit ryTrain's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. Chris, I actually added a backstop after I took the pictures.

-=Ryan
Go to Top of Page

snarlman
Fireman

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2007 :  11:45:51 AM  Show Profile  Send snarlman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ryan,
Nice job! I have a 10" table saw, and when I restarted my RR hobby, I purchased a power miter saw from sears. It was $119 on sale with the stand. Although, not as crafty as yours, I do not regret the price, it was worth every penny. I cut alot of 1x4"s for all the grid work. Yours looks like it would be right at home in the hobby room.

~Jeff
Go to Top of Page

ryTrain
Engine Wiper

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2007 :  12:12:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit ryTrain's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snarlman

Ryan,
Nice job! I have a 10" table saw, and when I restarted my RR hobby, I purchased a power miter saw from sears. It was $119 on sale with the stand. Although, not as crafty as yours, I do not regret the price, it was worth every penny. I cut alot of 1x4"s for all the grid work. Yours looks like it would be right at home in the hobby room.

Thanks Jeff! I too have a compound mitre saw (12"), and I find that (other than my cordless drill) I use it more than any other tool. I built my enitre 16x26 foot deck using this thing. So, I figured maybe I could make one. However, I did consider buying a smaller compound mitre saw, but was not sure how small they make them. What size is your small mitre saw? 5 Inch blade?

-=Ryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000