desertdrover
Engineer

USA
17263 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  3:00:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigLars

Arthur,
No progess on mine, still trying to figure out if th climax truck is too large for the body.
Any thoughts guys?
The front truck will be replaced with a single axel wheel set. I am just using this front truck to hold the sample up.

I don't find the truck to large for your use. Look at this one Arthur posted. Now that's a large truck.

Go to Top of Page

BigLars
Engineer

USA
11147 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  3:03:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arthur,
What are you talking about, I think this looks great! Show more... Maybe punch a hole in the side where the rust has eaten right through. Remember there was no undercoating back then.
The beauty of modeling these backwoods beasts is that the actual shop may have painted the cab with brushes and the paint might have been very thick. BTW it does not look too thick to me.
Lars

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375
Go to Top of Page

Tommatthews
Engineer

9572 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  3:23:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arthur,

Wonderful paint job and rusting with the sea salt.
Keep us posted .......

Tom M.
Go to Top of Page

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

USA
5831 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  5:55:32 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Thanks for the comments and encouragements, will press on right ahead.

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645
Go to Top of Page

visman48
Fireman

USA
6031 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  8:25:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
All,
Tried and true mechanisms for these types of projects. This has been my weak point for projects so several years ago, I made it a point to beat that down, since I figured I could build the model one way or another.

Mechanisms for railtrucks...
The Tenshodo mechs 4 wheels, self contained small wheel sizes HO size but usable. Don't Know if it can be DCCed.

Black Beetle, 4 and 2 wheel configurations, variable wheelbase, solid and spoked wheels, self contained, limited wheel size. No experience with the 2 wheel version. DCC able.

NWSL Flea...I have a couple of versions, noisy, with solid and spoked wheel sets, relative self contained, will need electrical pickup to be designed. Noisy, can be DCC, no mounting method.

Bachmann HO Trolly Mechanism, single 4 wheel drive mechanism, can use front wheels for leads. Don't know if it can be DCC'ed

Grandt Line gear sets, assembed with spoked wheels smooth, requires miro motor, with U Joints. I have several of these, requires electrical pickup design, would be good for trucks where you want single rear axel, spoked wheels, get from Keith Wieseman.

Bachmann Trolly Mechanism ON30 good mechanism, don't know if it can be DCCed. Don't know if it can be modified.

8 Wheel Mechanisms, ie HO diesels, Kato/Atlas RS3, smooth with fly wheels can be made to be a 8 or 4.

Bachmann FA unit, DCC onboard, smooth runner, quiet, add DSX Goose to add sound. Don't believe it can be separated. Great for Railcombines.

Bachmann 4 Wheel MOW mechanism, both new and old are great to build Rail Cars, can be separated with work to single wheelset, larger wheels can be used. Pictured here with Tin Chicken

Bachmann Speeder is another good mechanism, I don't have any experience with it, but have projects waiting.

Bachman older 44 Tonner, good mechanism, limited experience with it, I have not tried to DCC it. Older version can be separated. I have newer versions too, no experience.

Well I know I have missed a few, these are the ones I have used or abused. I don't modify mechanisms, may only separate power to DCC. I won't regear, or rebuild them. Like the Precision Craft Goose, there are lots of unkind things that can be done to it.

Les

Go to Top of Page

Geezer
Engineer

USA
12973 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  9:25:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Art - Don't be hard on yourself! That's a great job on that weathering! Go for it!!!

"You can find my Website & Threads here:"
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47229
Go to Top of Page

Tommatthews
Engineer

9572 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  9:27:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Les,

Thanks .... WOWZER .... I think that's
a word .... [:-bigeyes]

Tom M.
Go to Top of Page

visman48
Fireman

USA
6031 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  10:33:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Guys,
So the other issue I have is finding mechanisms, then mounting them. that is why I choose some of the mechanisms. Ease to mount, and ease to hide under the body. Next criteria is size and type of wheels available. Alot of these mechanisms are HO, so we end up with maybe smaller wheels than the prototype. I don't know if this helps you all when you are selecting a mechanism, without having a picture of how it looks minus the shell and other parts, you kinda have to shoot in the dark to find one. It would be great to just have a source with all the information both visual, and numbers with measurements that we could look up.

Les
Go to Top of Page

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

USA
5831 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2008 :  12:48:20 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Geezer..

Les, I guess it is lucky that on30 happens to fit on HO scale track, which opens us up to so many options in HO scale.

Arthur

Arthur

Go to Top of Page

BigLars
Engineer

USA
11147 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2008 :  09:26:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
visman48
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/19/2008 : 10:33:46 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys,
So the other issue I have is finding mechanisms, then mounting them. that is why I choose some of the mechanisms. Ease to mount, and ease to hide under the body. Next criteria is size and type of wheels available. Alot of these mechanisms are HO, so we end up with maybe smaller wheels than the prototype. I don't know if this helps you all when you are selecting a mechanism, without having a picture of how it looks minus the shell and other parts, you kinda have to shoot in the dark to find one. It would be great to just have a source with all the information both visual, and numbers with measurements that we could look up.

Les

Mclean VA,
Never enough rust and weathering
My website:http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1jwka/index.html

Les,

Thanks for all of the pictures. I agree it would be nice to have a place to store mechanism pictures and dimensions.

We should start a thread on the topic where we just post a picture of the drive beside a ruler with a brief description of the donor.

I currently have the following mechanisms stripped down. So I could post these pictures.
Bachmann Gandy Dancer
Bachmann HO old 70 ton trucks
Bachmann HO old 44 ton trucks
Bachmann ON30 Davenport
Bachmann HO Brill street car new version
Bachmann HO Ballast Car
Athern SW1500
I think I also have the new version of Bachmannís 44 and 70 that I could take the shells off as well.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375
Go to Top of Page

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

USA
5831 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2008 :  2:15:34 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We could make a new thread and ask the moderator to make it a sticky. This would not just be for railtrucks, but the ever popular critter and other diesels. This would probably be a great point of reference for those embarking on new builds.

Arthur

Arthur

Go to Top of Page

visman48
Fireman

USA
6031 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2008 :  2:19:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Arthur, Larry et al,
Great Idea, I know I can use it and would contribute, it would be good for many I think, and it needs its own thread. I suspect most of us have the materials and information, we should add links to purchase these too, as that is always a point on these projects.

Les
Go to Top of Page

Geezer
Engineer

USA
12973 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2008 :  3:31:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awrite!!!! A sticky thread for Critters! Now ya really have the Geezer's interest!!! I am all for it.
Not that I don't enjoy watchin the builds of the rail cars/trucks, I have a little experience with critters.
I have the BVM 70 ton conversion almost done. Just have to find a suitable sound decoder for it.

"You can find my Website & Threads here:"
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47229
Go to Top of Page

visman48
Fireman

USA
6031 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2008 :  4:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Geez...
What kind of decoder, just a simple one? or sound one? If you have any left over decoders you can use those. The simple digitrax ones are good, as well as the TSC ones. The spend the time on lighting and detailing.

Les

Go to Top of Page

visman48
Fireman

USA
6031 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2008 :  4:22:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Arthur,
This is the mechanism I think you should use with your truck...its the one I will use with mine. You can get one from Keith Weiseman.

As you can see its pretty small, the motor will fit up under the truck bed and cab. Keith has a leaf spring casting that will hold the wheelsets, so all you have to do is mount up the motor, provide contacts, and decoder.

Les
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 47 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000