Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 51

elwoodblues
Fireman

Canada
5755 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  9:53:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Peter,

I was afraid that Thout Metal works would be too big and I was thinking about making it a two story building instead. Now that both buildings are there it doesn't look so big and I'm starting to like its proportions. Its why I like to build mock-ups of building first, I get to see if I lit it without the expense.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://www.cvry.ca
Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
11223 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  10:01:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron, I like the lines of the brewery. It's going to be a nice looking building.

George
Go to Top of Page

sparkman
Engine Wiper

USA
468 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  10:06:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron,
Great idea with the mock-ups. Your brewery reminds me of the one from Bar Mills.
Any specific program you would recomend for doing something similar on my layout?
-david j
Go to Top of Page

elwoodblues
Fireman

Canada
5755 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  10:23:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks George and Dave.

I liked the looks of the brewery from Bar Mills too, Its where I stole...oops, borrowed the design. Unfortunately I don't have the foot print for the Bar Mills offering so I adopted it to fit the foot print I have available. The plan is to scratch build the brewery using doors and windows from Rusty Stump (expect another order soon Walt )

I drew the plans on Autocad plotted it out and then glued the walls to foamboard. I did Thuot Metal works using cardboard but found due to the size of the building a lot of bracing was required [:-bigeyes2]. I never had that problem in N scale.

The only problem I have now is that the mock-ups I make tend to last way too long, but seeing as I have to get this layout ready for the general public by April 2008, I have a feeling that they will get built in record (at least for me) time.

Ron Newby
General Manager

Edited by - elwoodblues on 06/07/2007 10:24:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25250 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  11:03:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron,

The mock-ups are superb -- certainly far beyound any that I've done.

Like the others, I love the lines on the brewery, and the curved siding on Thuot adds a lot of visual appeal.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3
Go to Top of Page

Frederic Testard
Engineer

France
17605 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  04:14:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron
Very nice work on your mockups. Indeed they are quite detailed and you may start a reasonably realistic operation with this kind of buildings around the trains. I prefer the Sharkbite Brewery, because of the more intricate shape. Concerning Thuot Metal Works, maybe the third story could be replaced by boards on the roof that would add interest to an otherwise relatively plain building. That being said, I must say that I'm probably falling into the FSM syndrom of "overdetailed" buildings, since industrial areas featured many simple places only dedicated to efficiency.
Keep up the good work.
Go to Top of Page

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

USA
5877 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  11:05:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Those are some of the best looking mockups I have every seen. Nice work. What do you use to make them?
Go to Top of Page

elwoodblues
Fireman

Canada
5755 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  7:37:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tim,

It really isn't hard to do. Seeing as these buildings will be scratchbuilt I made plans for the buildings in Autocad, print them out, cut them out and glue the plans to cardboard or foamboard. As for the stonework and siding a few clicks of the mouse using the hatch command and voila!!!! mock-ups with texture.

The reason I use Autocad is because I'm very familiar with it having used the program for the last 17 years.

The only drawback is that they look good enough that the real buildings don't get built.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Go to Top of Page

elwoodblues
Fireman

Canada
5755 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  7:38:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to call this update "complicating an easy solution" or "Over engineering at its best"

One of the issues with handmade turnout using manual ground throws is powering the dead frog. After pondering the problem I came up with a solution. [:-bulb] It involves using a momentary contact switch, relay, power supply, a couple of diodes and some wire. It was a great way of controlling the frog power. I even checked out my electronic supplies and had all the required items, I was all set to go. [:-jump2]

When I explained this to a friend of mine, He asked me why I didn't just use a SPDT lever switch. There went my brilliant plan right down the drain. [:-banghead][:-banghead]

So the first attempt required digging out the foam at the end og the throwbar and installing the lever switch.

The only disadvantage with this arrangement is the fact that with the switch sticking up above the foam would make it hard to camouflage with scenery. The second attempt involved gluing (with ACC) a rod extension to the lever and then installing the lever switch so that it was flush with the foam. This arrangement will allow me to apply scenery right up to the throwbar and hiding the switch is now a simple matter.

While I'm probably not the first person to come up with this idea and I'm sure there are other solutions, but I like this one and hopefully give ideas for someone facing the same problem.

Well Wednesday is goint to be a great night as Mr Backdrop himself (Chris Lyon) weil be coming over to give me a lesson om painting backdrops and I can't wait. [:-jump2][:-jump2]

Ron Newby
General Manager
Go to Top of Page

Peterpools
Engineer

USA
12335 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  8:45:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ron
Pretty ingenious idea. Looks like you solved the dead frog issue.
Peter [:-kitty]
Go to Top of Page

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

USA
5877 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  9:16:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ron,

No matter what you solved the problem. You will be glad you did as you begin operating trains over them.
Go to Top of Page

elwoodblues
Fireman

Canada
5755 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  10:42:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tim,

I'm already glad I've solved the "frog" problem. My 0-4-0 porter wouldn't run through the switches as its short wheel base was shorter than the frogs. Now the porter runs through the switches with no problem. The exercise of installing the lever switches have been more than worthwhile already as it is fun switching with the porter.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Go to Top of Page

elwoodblues
Fireman

Canada
5755 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  10:42:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well I must say, tonight is a red letter day as for the first time in my layout building career, I have a painted backdrop.

Chris Lyons came over tonight to teach me his backdrop painting method. In the space of about 1-1/2 hours we had painted 5ft of backdrop. Here is what we accomplished.

Getting Started.

Here is Chris working his magic.

Here is an overall view of what was accomplished tonight.

Chris did the left side to teach me how to paint a backdrop. The right side where there are no trees yet is the side I did.

Here is the side I did now with trees done by yours truly.

Chris must of has a weak moment as he showed me how to add a road going into the mountains.

And finally another overall view of the backdrop.

It was a fun evening and thanks Chris for showing me how its done. It turned out to be easier than I thought and Chris is a great teacher. I'm looking forward to completing more of the backdrop in the near future.

Ron Newby
General Manager

Edited by - elwoodblues on 06/20/2007 11:02:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

LVN
Fireman

Canada
5210 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  10:54:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Ron. Need to fix the pics they did not come through

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

elwoodblues
Fireman

Canada
5755 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  11:06:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Chris, they are fixed now, pressed the wrong button, wanted to preview my post bit pressed the post instead. [:-banghead][:-censored][:-banghead]

Ron Newby
General Manager
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 51 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000