Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 83

Rick
Administrator

USA
19680 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  4:59:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tyson, you're well on your way. Keep up the good work.

As you think, so will you be.
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11035 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  5:46:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce trains on that grade would consist of a loco, caboose and 2-3 cars. The loco would be the NM GP7 which is an Atlas and it walks right up it with no problem. The reason I went with the 4% (besides getting as much vertical separation as possible) is it is the only grade on the railroad and the real R.R. here has alot of grades between 3% and 4.2% with one grade at around 4.7%. That grade is on a compound curve as well and the compensated grade is supposed to be about 5.4%, so while I'm well within the prototype for this area the main reason is to have a grade with curves that will require one to actually have to DRIVE the train for it to be able to maintain realistic speed both up as well as downhill.

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 01/29/2007 5:48:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11035 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  11:04:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Checked at the store to see if the Atlas x-overs had come in. No but the Shinohara ones that we didn't order did come in [:-yuck] ? Well I figured (hoped?) that maybe I learned from my mistakes with the first Shinohara's and I would have better results this time around .
Well after two hours of removing the old one and installing a new one (something someone who knew what they were doing could do in 30 minutes).

VICTORY

[:-sonar] [:-jump] [:-propeller] [:-spin] [:-party]

Everything from passenger cars to locos run thru smooth!
Now the bad news..................................................................
I've still got one more to replace [:-timebm] [:-irked] [:-gnasher] [:-censored]
Did I mention how much I hate trackwork and wiring? [:-grumpy]

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 01/30/2007 11:07:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

acousticco
Fireman

Canada
1484 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  11:42:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congrats!
I'm not a big fan of trackwork and wiring either, and that's exactly what I'm doing now...

Glad your having a little fun,

-Cody
Go to Top of Page

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

USA
4389 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  09:39:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tyson,

That steep grade and the operating challenges it presents is a neat idea. The BN has a branch line that serves the Boeing, Everett plant out here and has a stretch of grade somewhere over 7%, or something like that. Operating rules dictate that the locomotives are always on the downhill side, and I think not more than just a few cars. Makes for an interesting operating session.....
Go to Top of Page

jatravia
Fireman

USA
2680 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  10:09:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tyson,

you make me sick! I am kidding of course but I haven't been able to get any real track laid in a year on my shelf layout!

What you have done looks great. I'd be worried about that grade too ... especially with the curves ... but if it works then it works.

I look forward to seeing what you do with this little gem.

Joe <><
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11035 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  2:47:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Al I will have to keep the loco on the downhill side as well as there is no runaround track when you get to the top. Joe 4% is no operational problem whatsoever. Joe in real life the Southern has to use three GP's to pull five hoppers up Red Marble grade (the one that's 5.4%), I can pull five cars and a caboose up that grade with one GP. However you do have to drive it otherwise in some areas it will grind to a halt or take off on you. As far as laying track goes I have finished replacing the one switch that went belly up on me and just removed the other cross-over. I will be glad when I can get back to scenery!

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 01/31/2007 2:49:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13132 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  8:45:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tyson,
Looks like progress is at full throttle now.
Looks good also.[:-thumbu][:-thumbu]

Also thanks for the whys and wherefores about the railroad.
I like to know the history behind a layout and if it has a story to go with it then that is even better.
I guess that started with my finding Thatcher's Inlet and the story written by Dave and Bob of the town and the little railroad.

So come back out from under the benchwork and keep the story line going as you build the layout.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.
Go to Top of Page

Philip
Fireman

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  10:10:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

Philip was there supposed to be a pic in your post?
O.K. I'm slow but I got it! [:-dunce] [:-bulb]

eon's ahead of me

Lookin Great Tyson![:-glasses]
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11035 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  10:42:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! John I have always found creating a history for a layout to be fun and it also helps decide what one needs in the way of industries, rolling stock and what have you. Not something that has to be done of course but enjoyable for most of us I think.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

railmus
Fireman

Canada
1742 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  11:10:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by acousticco

Congrats!
I'm not a big fan of trackwork and wiring either, and that's exactly what I'm doing now...

Glad your having a little fun,

-Cody

Yes, but doing it right now means no regrets later on!

John Kanakos
CNJWS II, Custom Models- Design & Build
http://www.junctionwestsub.ca
NMRA #055691 CARM # 212
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11035 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  09:56:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Yes, but doing it right now means no regrets later on!"

Amen!

Mike
Go to Top of Page

MikeC
Administrator

USA
21584 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  2:44:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit MikeC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Once again, you've made good progress, Tyson. It looks like you're about to get finished with the "grunt" work and can start on the fun stuff.... like scenery.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm a busy man. I have a railroad to run.

Visit the Central Missouri & Southern
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11035 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  4:13:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope so Mike, I'm getting tired of grunting!

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11035 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  4:32:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I finished the other x-over, replaced the one bad switch and fine tined a few joints that need it and it appears I'm done with the trackwork! [:-jumprefect] Of course there are two staging yards yet to be done. [:-indifferent] Over time I have tried dark brown, reddish brown and black for the color on the rails. Being everything on this layout is recyled from previous versions I now had three different colors so I repainted the rails flat black. I also finished spreading the spackle so this is where I'm at:

The next step will be to paint everything a flat green. The blue and white is distracting to the eye and once everything is one color it will be easier for my eyes to see the flow of the land forms. More adjustments will be needed I'm sure. [:-magnify]

Mike
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 83  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000