Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

jhunter
Engine Wiper

Australia
479 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  06:23:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well as some of my be aware dan P and I are in the process of a fairly major project that being a exhabition layout based on the dolly varden mine railway, now dans the historian on this subject and believe me some heavy reading has taken place to make this layout a modelling as well as disply success, although we are only in the first construction fase of the build the layout is shaping up quite well ,now you all must understand that dan and I live in diferent citys and about 150 miles away from each other so the emailing and phone is running hot , the layout once the moduals are made and track layed will be split into 5 sections 3 will stay with dan and 2 will come to me where the scenery work will be done the construction of the structures will also be divided up and can be built in any order myself constructing the alice arm section of the layout we estimate about 300 trees will be needed to be made and i have already had a local stone mason crush sme stone for me into various grades this will be divided up between us for the scenery phase the 5th module will be a joint effort probably constructed at exhabitions together on site ,this project should take quite a while but we are hoping that it will be rewarding as well as an exersize in long distance cooperation between modellers this could be a long thread so sit back and join us on a journey that we all can be part of as a group your comments and help with research and ideas will be welcomed .

Tyson Rayles

USA
13151 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  06:40:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to it!!!
Go to Top of Page

nalmeida
Fireman

Portugal
2040 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  06:52:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for starting this thread Jonh, as I've told before I'm very interested in this project. I think you guys choose a very interesting prototype. Do you have a sketch of the trackplan? Will it be point to point or runaround?
Go to Top of Page

Cigarguy
Fireman

USA
3895 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  07:02:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't wait to see some photos of the construction process!

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"
Go to Top of Page

Rick
Administrator

USA
23545 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  07:31:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is going to be a must see thread. Thanks John for starting it.
Go to Top of Page

Bbags
Administrator

USA
13319 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  08:05:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a great project.[:-thumbu][:-thumbu]
Dan and John,
As one who likes historical layouts please share with us the history of the mine railroad as you proceed with the construction.
As you both are top drawer modelers I am sure this will be a real eye catcher when completed.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Edited by - Bbags on 01/16/2007 08:06:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

Danny Head
Fireman

USA
1889 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  09:12:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, based on the outstanding diorama photos you have posted, I am looking forward to following the thread. Thanks for sharing!
Go to Top of Page

essodee
Fireman

USA
1561 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  11:33:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,

You and Dan are embarking on a fantastic project, and thankfully, we will get to enjoy the process through your fine postings.

Your explanation of how you are dividing the modules and work, demonstrates fine organizational thinking, which is a must in coordinating such a project among separated co-modelers.

Looking forward, as always, to your updates here in the right-side-up world.

Stevie O'D
Go to Top of Page

Jerry M
Fireman

USA
4055 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  11:54:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I to will be watching am very interested in your project..this is a great subject you chose. Jerry
Go to Top of Page

Don Brimmer
Fireman

USA
1874 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  12:27:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep us posted.
Go to Top of Page

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

USA
3581 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  4:35:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

John,

Two 1st class modelers building 5 modules. This should be an interesting project. I am looking forward to your updates & photos. I know posting photos is time consuming so thanks in advance.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Peterpools
Engineer

USA
12335 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  6:38:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
John
What a great project and now the waiting begins. Looking forward to some very special modelling.
Peter [:-kitty]
Go to Top of Page

jhunter
Engine Wiper

Australia
479 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  01:47:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suppose the best place to start is with the tresel legs that will hold up the layout ...there is 8 of them 2 slightly larger than the rest these two will accomodate the water section in front of the wharf the layout is 28 ft in length 4 modules 6ft lone and a center module 4 ft long the 4 ft module will be located in the center and contain a curved tresel bridge, the layout is point to point and will start at the whalf and end at the mine dan might post a pic of the trackplan soon in the mean time here is a pic of the legs and a pic of a small lip welded to the leg to stop the layout moving off the legs in case of a large knock at a exhabition

Download Attachment: DSC02247.JPG
65.43 KB

Download Attachment: DSC02248.JPG
62.76 KB
Go to Top of Page

nalmeida
Fireman

Portugal
2040 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  04:32:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I see this is as portable as it can get, at what height will the layout sit?
Go to Top of Page

jhunter
Engine Wiper

Australia
479 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  04:46:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nelson the layout will sit at 1050mm or 41 1/2 inches this is a height that dan and i have built other layouts and it works perfectly for veiwing. the layout centre module will be lower to accomodate for the tressel bridge
Go to Top of Page

danpickard
Fireman

Australia
1343 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  05:23:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit danpickard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
G'day,
Thanks for getting this thread started John. As John mentioned, there are 5 modules, and the size was dictated purely by the size of our layout trailers (Johns 6x4, mine 7x4, so my modules are slightly longer), with the 5th module (the centre trestle section) built to fit in the boot of my station wagon. All aluminium costruction again, as we have used in the past. The aluminium costs about the same as timber for me, but is stronger, straighter, and quickr tho work with if you have the right equipment. I recently bought an aluminium cutting blade for my sliding compound saw, which makes cuts very accurate and quick. I was able to get all 5 modules cut and assembled in a matter of hours. No waiting for glue to dry, just joined with the various plastic joiners that hammer into the ends of the aluminium. Below is the centre trestle module, that drops down 12" to allow for the height of the bridge.

Heres all the modules temporarily layed out in my back yard (John didnt have the trestle legs when I built these), giving a rough impression of the size.

Dan Pickard

http://www.austnarrowgaugeconvention.com/

Edited by - danpickard on 01/17/2007 05:24:33 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000