Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Coaltrain
Crew Chief

984 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  11:54:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few weeks ago I went into my local hobby shop and I saw one of the new Walthers 90' turntables. The hobby shop owner had it set up so we could demo it. When I first built my engine terminal I use the first Walthers turntable, which a pieces of junk. Since I operate steam locomotives and my yard is a stub-ended terminal the turntable was an important piece for operation. I worked hard to get the orignal turntable to operate better but it still was always giving me trouble. When I saw the new turntable I new that all my troubles would be solved. The new turntable has an unrealistic cog ring around the bottom of the pit but because it operates so well I decided I could over look it.

Because I was going to have to do some reconstruction around the turntable I decided that it might be time to make a change to the trackage leading from the turntable (the outbound engine tracks). The trouble that I was having with the current arrangement is that I was not able to align the inbound track with the outbound track, which is not a problem with steam locomoitves because I have to turn them anyways. the trouble that I am having is when I run a set of diesels, they don't need to be turned but the MUed set is too long to fit on to the table and turn it to align to the outbound track. We have been operating around the problem for a while but I thought that it would be a good time for the change. Also, I have never really cared much for the details around the engine terminal or the way I painted the coaling tower.

This photo shows the existing engine terminal and you can see how the tracks do not line up. The red indicates the route of the new trackage. I decided that my heart really wants a wooden coaling tower and I have always wanted to scratchbuild one. With the new arrangement I will be removing the concrete tower and replace it with a wood tower. I also wanted the locomotives on the viewers side of the coal tower so I will be tearing out the inclined coal delivery track and making it the new steam locomotive outbound track with the coaling tower behind it. The other new track will have to be in the location of the ash track and it will be for diesel locomtives. There will be an ash conveyor on the steam track that goes over and dumps into a gondola on the industry spur that is behind the engine terminal.

here is an overall photo that I pieced together to show the current engine terminal.

here is a shot of the engine terminal before remodeling.

Here I have already taken out the old turntable and the tracks leading from it. I made a cardboard mock-up of the new tower and placed some structures to what it might look like.

this view shows how the new outbound track will line up.

I am also thinking of building a new engine house, a two tracker instead of the three track one that I have now. I would like to have a small house that fits the scene better and have one track outside along side the engine house.

I will post progress photos. I plan on really detailing out this new terminal.

Coaltrain
Crew Chief

984 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  11:56:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
one more view of the new arrangement.
Go to Top of Page

MarkF
Engineer

USA
10760 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  7:00:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a gorgeous looking facility you have/had there! I'm sure starting the project was rough, but I like your ideas and I think it will work out much better. As for the engine house, I think it's a nice fit, but on the other hand, having an outside stall could lead to some great detailing opportunities. Can't wait to see your progress!

Mark

See my homepage at http://home.comcast.net/~prrndiv/
Go to Top of Page

LVRALPH
Fireman

5503 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  06:29:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coal train...keep em comming. Your work is outstanding. I'm still recovering from those 628's you did!
Go to Top of Page

George D

USA
11461 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  11:44:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a nice looking engine terminal you're tearing up, but I understand why. This will be an interesting project to follow.

George
Go to Top of Page

LVN
Fireman

Canada
5240 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  09:53:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent ideas for the rebuild. It should really look great.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Peterpools
Engineer

USA
12335 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  11:15:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It sure seems as if you sorted out your problems, formulated a workable plan and are executing it to the TEE. The engine facility looks first rate and in actuality, it is larger then my entire railroad. Keep us posted on you progress. A very interesting thread.
Peter [:-kitty]
Go to Top of Page

teejay
Fireman

Canada
5849 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  11:42:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff , an interesting project and one that you appear to have figured out . Keep us posted on your progress .

Terry
Go to Top of Page

dave1905
Crew Chief

USA
998 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  2:24:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I don't understand why you ripped it out. What was wrong with the switch at the bottom of the engine terminal? A real railroad wouldn't route inbound power over the turntable to get to the service track. They would bering the power to the bottom end and up into the engine facility from that end.

Dave H.

Dave H.
Keep 'em painted side up
Go to Top of Page

Jerry M
Fireman

USA
4055 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  3:16:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know how it is when you got to tear up a finished area it's a bummer but the end result will be worth it if you get better flow...be sure to post the finished photos..Jerry
Go to Top of Page

jknapp
Fireman

USA
2512 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  4:29:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit jknapp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Jeff....hey, do you have a "cameo" in Tony Koester's new book...."Coal Railroading"??

John Knapp
Sellersville, PA

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/photo_album_cat.asp?sqldtl=1292
Go to Top of Page

berraf
New Hire

Sweden
37 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  5:15:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit berraf's Homepage  Click to see berraf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Im amazed about your pictures. They sure do look brilliant.
What a wonderful layout you have!
More pictures please ;)

My modular N-scale layout, South Eastern Railroad
Go to Top of Page

Coaltrain
Crew Chief

984 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  07:28:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave1905

I guess I don't understand why you ripped it out. What was wrong with the switch at the bottom of the engine terminal? A real railroad wouldn't route inbound power over the turntable to get to the service track. They would bering the power to the bottom end and up into the engine facility from that end.

Dave H.

I know in the real world you would not have a turntable in the middle of your inbound track, but with the space limitations of my model railroad I have to do just that to make my operating sessions go smoother. There is not way for a set of diesels to excape from the end of the arrival track unless the entire train they brought in is pull out behind them. The old way worked but I think the new way will work better.
Go to Top of Page

Coaltrain
Crew Chief

984 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  07:28:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jknapp

Hi Jeff....hey, do you have a "cameo" in Tony Koester's new book...."Coal Railroading"??

Yes, there is one photo of my layout in his book.
Go to Top of Page

Coaltrain
Crew Chief

984 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  07:30:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by berraf

Im amazed about your pictures. They sure do look brilliant.
What a wonderful layout you have!
More pictures please ;)

thanks, try here.
http://www.railimages.com/gallery/jeffkraker
Go to Top of Page

Coaltrain
Crew Chief

984 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2007 :  4:11:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that I got my holiday locomotive project done it was time to get back to my engine terminal rebuild project.

the first thing I needed to get done and working was the new turntable, which is the reason I started this project. I am replacing my old Walthers turntable with their new 90' table. Before I installed the new table I made a couple modifications and repainted it. The first change I did to the table was to overlay new real wood on the turntable deck. I used 1x10 scale lumber with I stained a blackish brown color to glue over the existing plastic molded wood. Once the wood was in place I used Bragdon weathering powder to weather the deck. I repainted the entire turntable and weathered it.

I also made a couple changes to the pit. The big change was to reduce the width of the top of the pit. I have never seen an american railroad that had such a big turntable pit apron. I drew a line a specific distance from the inside edge of the pit and used my Dremal to cut off almost 2/3rds of the pit apron. I also repainted the pit and weathered it. For paint I used Polly scale "Old Concrete" for the base color. Then I brush painted the pit rail and tie plates a rusty color. I also taped off and painted the top steel pit reinforcing ring a black and rusty color. The pit was weathered with burnt umber and black acrylic artist tube paint and a little Bragdon weathering powder.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000