Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

rckwallaby
Crew Chief

Australia
662 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  10:20:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit rckwallaby's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well now this is a subject I've had some interest in because for whatever reason (sick, masochistic, should have been a bookkeeper), I've been keeping a close record of everything I spend on the hobby.

Sometimes its very scary.

Phil
Go to Top of Page

David Butler
Crew Chief

United Kingdom
824 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  10:26:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tabooma County Rwy

Like most of us, I don't keep track. I don't want to.

Which is all well and good until you need to make a claim after a break-in.
I was reviewing my Contents Policy t'other day and was horrified to find my Insurance company would only pay a fixed amount in the event of any collections being stolen.
So now I have to evaluate some 100 British steam and diesel locos, 200 odd waggons ( freight cars to you) and 100 plus coaches (Cars) , then start on the On30 collection which is 18 locos plus around 30 Waggons and dozen cars, then start on the G gauge stuff ![:-timebm]
Mrs B just has to total her collection of 155 Lilliput models ( similar I suppose to your Model5 6 Village )
I dread to think what the final value will be.
Go to Top of Page

ibflattop
Engine Wiper

USA
449 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  1:08:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think think this is a loaded question and should be wiped from the net before it falls into the wrong hands. If it does we will start loosing members from the board.
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

USA
5877 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  4:19:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I am not sure what the average would be but my guess would be around 2-3K per year.

Al, I have people ask questions like that too, how much money do you have in this, what is the lineal feet of track etc. Instead of telling them I don't know, I tell them I know exactly what it is, then change the subject. Actually I don't have a clue about either one.

Its not about size or how much, its all about enjoying yourself and others in the hobby.
Go to Top of Page

Marken
Fireman

USA
2914 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  4:52:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's something I don't really keep track of...don't want to scare myself[:-bigeyes][:-bigeyes]

In memory of Mike Chambers
Go to Top of Page

Peterpools
Engineer

USA
12335 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  6:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys
Nice to know the longer we are married, the less we keep records on how much we spend. I'm in for 2500 plus each year.
Peter [:-kitty]
Go to Top of Page

Mike Hamer
Engineer

10374 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  6:42:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My wife and I have a running agreement of $1000.00 per year...but some years it varies. My father once asked me the dollar amount I figured I'd invested in my small 11x13 B&M layout. I got to thinking that it's probably (over time) reached the amount that a small family sedan costs.
Go to Top of Page

kay4pacific
Fireman

USA
4765 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  11:29:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last yaer I spent about 800. Now , in 06 I won't even try to guess how much so far. What with the construction of the room and changing over to On3O,Geeesh, and now I bought a new Nikon D200 and SB800 flash, just so I can take photos of all the work I will be doing, it's going to be well into the 3grand area this year.BOY!!! Am I glad I'm retired [:-bigeyes2]
Go to Top of Page

nw tom
Section Hand

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  4:25:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been spending a lot of money the last three years since I retired. I still have the new layout costs to go also.I have been keeping all my receipts but I'm afraid to look.I'd guess 5000 up for the last three years.The wife has been after me to get a table at one of the local shows and sell off what I'm not going to use. She loves putting on our annual yard sale and is quite the sales person. My talents run to buying and not selling so I have a bunch of stuff from the last 30 years or so that I don't need and never will use.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

railliar
Section Hand

88 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  8:19:48 PM  Show Profile  Send railliar a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I no longer keep track of the lesser items. When I built the current S&LS I did keep a running log of expenditures but gave up on it at $10,000. If I purchase a larger item, such as a car, I do enter it into my inventory.

I think I must be in the lower category. I buy far, far less than I once did, owing I think to the fact I really don't need much any more. As a matter of fact, after applying a operating formula to the layout 18 months ago I removed 40-50 cars and have been selling them at swap meets.

I know what the layout and its contents are worth, but I seldom let anyone else know.
Go to Top of Page

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

USA
6360 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  8:24:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rusty Stumps's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Joe, It screwed up on my vote. Timed out before it got in and now won't let me re-enter it. 10,000 and up was my vote![:-bigeyes2]

Walt

Go to Top of Page

Dick Kuepper
Fireman

USA
1659 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  8:42:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dick Kuepper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My [:-love] shows horses and I play with trains, so I DO keep track (just for comparison sake, mind you ). So far, she is far outspending me!!

[:-banghead][:-bigeyes2][:-banghead]

Works for me - no complaints about my purchases [:-bigeyes2]
Go to Top of Page

AVRR-PA
Fireman

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  10:41:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, I do keep track. I use Quicken pretty maniacally - I even track how I spend cash. But I never really looked at a year's worth of expenditures until just now.

Curse you, Joe!

OK, I'm appalled, but here's what I spent in the last 12 months -- $4,382.25

That number does include "non-hardware" like travel to train shows and motel bills and even lunch with the FreeMo gang. And dues and magazine subscriptions. It's all in a category I created called "Recreation - Model Railroading."

I think I'll just go hide.

And I also think that you guys who are estimating that you spend $500 or so are kidding yourself.

Don
Go to Top of Page

Dreamweaver
Crew Chief

USA
862 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  11:48:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Dreamweaver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I also keep track and WOW...

Last year $8362.35
This year so far $5925.67

Now heres the bad part "Money spent on my wife"
$462.12 for a new sewing machine....[:-scared][:-scared][:-scared][:-headache][:-headache][:-headache]

Mike J
Go to Top of Page

anbhurst

USA
7247 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  03:23:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although, I have been spending up to $2,500 a year, that will assuredly change during the next year or two as our income diminishes. Guess I will be relying more upon my club for my model railroading fixes.

quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000