Page: of 16

leeflan
Fireman

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  6:24:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Hamer

Hi Steve, Great shots from one great model railroad! Let me guess, there are fewer passenger cars in the image...with a little help from a mirror?! Hmmm...if I'm correct, you've done a great job visually enhancing the layout using that time-honoured technique.

Gee, I sure couldn't fool you. Yep, the old mirror trick. Although not visible in the picture, the mirror also, er, "extends" the highway that runs parallel to the mainline. Fools 'em everytime . . . at leaast non-modelers.
Go to Top of Page

Mike Hamer
Engineer

10375 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  6:45:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Steve and Bruce! This is fun seeing each other's diesels in action. I like the fact that we also get to see each other's layouts through the lens of the "diesel fan".

I've got three more pics for you both. One I've already posted to the thread detailing the differences between the RS1's, RS2's and RS3's. (Check out that thread for more diesel pics as well!)

This first shot was taken on Howard Scodras's layout. He is the "elder statesman" of our Friday Night Group and his layout was featured in Model Railroader last year. His layout is in a small apartment bedroom and it was selected by Kalmbach to be included in their Trainplayer DVD to come out sometime in the near future. I really like the squared off look of the RS1 and it looks handsome in the simplistic "all black" scheme of Howard's line with all the added details he's included!

This shot is of my RS2 in B&M colours. Note the all-maroon appearance. The B&M began painting their hoods black on the later RS3's. Note, too...the orientation of the stack, how it is different from the RS3 in the next shot! The train in this photo is passing the interlocking tower which controls the junction with the Maine Central.

That's the 1519, my road switcher which appeared on the cover of Great Model Railroads 2004. It's pretty special to me. I like the angled number boards and the class lights. Yes, it has a black hood and the stack is oriented differently than the one on my RS2. The 1519 is pulling a local into North Dover and it is spotted crossing Boundary Road on the outskirts of town. The F.B. Hamer building in the background is named for my father and the company produces twin baby strollers. You guessed it...I have a twin brother! Oh, God...two of me walking around the planet!! No need to worry...we're fraternal!
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25344 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  7:55:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Although I am a fan of the early Alco road switchers, I am also a sucker for end-cab 'yard' switchers of all types.

Here is my Jersey Central SW-7 on the layout.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3
Go to Top of Page

Mike Hamer
Engineer

10375 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  8:35:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Bruce...seeing as you're a sucker for cab-end switchers of all types, I've "thrown in" a couple of "going away" shots of the 1170, a B&M S2 from my layout.

The crew of the 1170 has little time to appreciate the verdant New England landscape as it has much work to do before finishing out its day's assignments. We spot it hauling a Canadian Pacific boxcar destined for North Dover.

A vacationing couple is taking a break from their canoe trip down the Salmon River. The peace and quiet is rocked by the drone of a little switch engine with a lot of power to spare!
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25344 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  4:28:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Nice shots of the little S2!

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3
Go to Top of Page

Mike Hamer
Engineer

10375 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  6:38:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce, That green and yellow Jersey Central unit is real "looker". Fabulous station shot! Your layout is a real beauty to behold as well![:-apple][:-apple][:-apple]
Hmmm...now to photograph some of my F's in action! (Visitors to the layout tonight...have to do that later!)
Go to Top of Page

Mike Hamer
Engineer

10375 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  5:16:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Bruce. I managed to get a few pics of my Maine Central F-unit ready to post. It's one of my newest locomotives to the fleet, so, of course...it's one that's special to me. Enjoy these images of a MEC F2 in action around North Dover! [:-apple][:-apple]

The picture above is perhaps one of my favourites taken on the layout. We see MEC 672 approaching yard limits in North Dover as the crew crosses Boundary Rd. on the outskirts of town. Boy, that's certainly a bright headlight!

The local crew in town has cleared the north siding for the Maine Central crew as it will await a B&M train for some interchange traffic. That AB lashup in the EMD inspired striping is a beautiful sight to behold!

Well, here we are on a different day railfanning as we spot the Maine Central crew entering town in an outbound direction. The building to the left houses the head offices for Scodras Grocers and Wingate Wholesalers, two local industries in town.

Hope you enjoyed the sight of these beautiful F's in action around North Dover! [:-apple][:-apple]

Edited by - Mike Hamer on 05/19/2006 5:17:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25344 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  5:48:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

That is a great looking loco traveling through some nice scenery!

I was surprised to see an F-Unit show up twice in last night's season finale of the orginal CSI.

Bruce

Go to Top of Page

Mike Hamer
Engineer

10375 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  6:29:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bruce. Wow, an F-unit in the episode of CSI. In which colours was it painted?
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25344 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  10:32:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

I have to tell you that I don't know. I was too focused on the decapitated torso laying on the tracks.[:-bigeyes]

When I retired, I got some railroad-related gifts from friends. One was this IHC Alco centercab. Now, it might not be one that I would have chosen myself, but I must say that it runs fairly well. At some point I will swap out the horn hook couplers and see if I can add some details to it.

Bruce

Go to Top of Page

Mike Hamer
Engineer

10375 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  08:14:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great shot of the centre cab, Bruce. Now, that's a nice gift from some very knowledgeable colleagues at your workplace. Hey, are you going to weather it or keep it tidy seeing as it was a gift?
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25344 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  08:21:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

I think it needs some weathering to tone it down a bit.

Bruce

Go to Top of Page

anbhurst

USA
7247 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  12:31:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

That has been my experience with IHC engines. They run good, but they need to be dressed-up a bit. That is why my SD35 is the pride of the fleet! Although this scene isn't from my layout, it is from one just like it:

BTW, when we got to the decapitation scene, I was out of there for the basement.

quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Mike,

I have to tell you that I don't know. I was too focused on the decapitated torso laying on the tracks.[:-bigeyes] . .

Allen
Modeling the East in the West on the Northeastern Pacific RIM, Oregon, that is!
Go to Top of Page

Mike Hamer
Engineer

10375 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  1:50:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Allen...those are nice Santa Fe diesels. I must admit that is a very interesting track arrangement on the layout where your diesels were photographed. It looks real cool having the tracks from a single main cross those of a double before both sets of mains cross different bridges over the same river...a very interesting scene, for sure. [:-apple]
Go to Top of Page

Dreamweaver
Crew Chief

USA
862 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2006 :  10:15:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Dreamweaver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Howdy All,

Here's some more.

BNSF cream and green pulling some bethgones loaded with coal.

The Super Chief.

Mike J
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000