Connecting Routes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Wabash Banks
Engine Wiper

USA
394 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  4:51:19 PM  Show Profile
The little shortline I am building needs to have a connecting route. I am going to model that, but I wanted to see if there was anyone modeling near the area near southern Indiana that would be interested in serving as the connecting route to the outside world.
I thought it might be fun to have some cross traffic and lead to a more robust history.
I have not nailed down the location yet, and as it is freelance based on proto, I can put it pretty much anywhere I need to. The era is the 1940's. A decade either side works well also.

wvrr
Fireman

6490 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  5:03:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
I bet if we mapped all of our model railroads on paper, it would turn into quite a railroad network. I can't help you with a direct connection, since my freelanced line is in northeast Pennsylvania.

Chuck
Go to Top of Page

wvrr
Fireman

6490 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  5:03:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
I bet if we mapped all of our model railroads on paper, it would turn into quite a railroad network. I can't help you with a direct connection, since my freelanced line is in northeast Pennsylvania.

Chuck
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
31166 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  5:22:31 PM  Show Profile
I'm in the same boat as Chuck. Northern NJ and northeastern PA is the stompn' grounds.
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
31166 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  5:22:31 PM  Show Profile
I'm in the same boat as Chuck. Northern NJ and northeastern PA is the stompn' grounds.
Go to Top of Page

leeflan
Fireman

USA
2441 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  5:39:26 PM  Show Profile
Sorry, I can't help you there, WAB. My own little shortline is in Georgia. But I must say, southern Indiana boasts one of the archetypal shortlines of all time, the Louisville, New Albany & Corydon, which has been around since the 1880's. Beebe & Clegg's classic Mixed Train Daily devotes several pages of text and photos to the line.[:-magnify]

You know, it occurs to me [:-bulb] that if you can't find anyone to connect with directly and you use a car forwarding system as I do, you can always have fun routing cars to other Forum railroads.
Go to Top of Page

leeflan
Fireman

USA
2441 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  5:39:26 PM  Show Profile
Sorry, I can't help you there, WAB. My own little shortline is in Georgia. But I must say, southern Indiana boasts one of the archetypal shortlines of all time, the Louisville, New Albany & Corydon, which has been around since the 1880's. Beebe & Clegg's classic Mixed Train Daily devotes several pages of text and photos to the line.[:-magnify]

You know, it occurs to me [:-bulb] that if you can't find anyone to connect with directly and you use a car forwarding system as I do, you can always have fun routing cars to other Forum railroads.
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
12926 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  9:31:24 PM  Show Profile
Southwestern North Carolina here so I'm no help either.
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
12926 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  9:31:24 PM  Show Profile
Southwestern North Carolina here so I'm no help either.
Go to Top of Page

Wabash Banks
Engine Wiper

USA
394 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  11:56:02 AM  Show Profile
I like that idea about forwarding out cars. I may have to settle for a Penn as the connector, but I could certainly look at what all prodcuts my railroad would be bringing in and make use of others railroads that way.
I receive lumber, but that would be obtained locally. There is a furniture manufacturer on my layout. That would require quire a few textiles and other raw materials. It is a reasonable size operation so there are quite a few cars coming out of there a day.

This just may prove to be far more of an interesting idea. Thanks for the suggestion!
Go to Top of Page

Wabash Banks
Engine Wiper

USA
394 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  11:56:02 AM  Show Profile
I like that idea about forwarding out cars. I may have to settle for a Penn as the connector, but I could certainly look at what all prodcuts my railroad would be bringing in and make use of others railroads that way.
I receive lumber, but that would be obtained locally. There is a furniture manufacturer on my layout. That would require quire a few textiles and other raw materials. It is a reasonable size operation so there are quite a few cars coming out of there a day.

This just may prove to be far more of an interesting idea. Thanks for the suggestion!
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000