New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Wabash Banks
Engine Wiper

USA
394 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  4:51:19 PM  Show Profile
The little shortline I am building needs to have a connecting route. I am going to model that, but I wanted to see if there was anyone modeling near the area near southern Indiana that would be interested in serving as the connecting route to the outside world.
I thought it might be fun to have some cross traffic and lead to a more robust history.
I have not nailed down the location yet, and as it is freelance based on proto, I can put it pretty much anywhere I need to. The era is the 1940's. A decade either side works well also.

wvrr
Fireman

5247 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  5:03:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
I bet if we mapped all of our model railroads on paper, it would turn into quite a railroad network. I can't help you with a direct connection, since my freelanced line is in northeast Pennsylvania.

Chuck

Wyoming Valley Railroad
http://sites.google.com/site/wvrails/
Go to Top of Page

wvrr
Fireman

5247 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  5:03:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
I bet if we mapped all of our model railroads on paper, it would turn into quite a railroad network. I can't help you with a direct connection, since my freelanced line is in northeast Pennsylvania.

Chuck

Wyoming Valley Railroad
http://sites.google.com/site/wvrails/
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25317 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  5:22:31 PM  Show Profile
I'm in the same boat as Chuck. Northern NJ and northeastern PA is the stompn' grounds.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
25317 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  5:22:31 PM  Show Profile
I'm in the same boat as Chuck. Northern NJ and northeastern PA is the stompn' grounds.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3
Go to Top of Page

leeflan
Fireman

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  5:39:26 PM  Show Profile
Sorry, I can't help you there, WAB. My own little shortline is in Georgia. But I must say, southern Indiana boasts one of the archetypal shortlines of all time, the Louisville, New Albany & Corydon, which has been around since the 1880's. Beebe & Clegg's classic Mixed Train Daily devotes several pages of text and photos to the line.[:-magnify]

You know, it occurs to me [:-bulb] that if you can't find anyone to connect with directly and you use a car forwarding system as I do, you can always have fun routing cars to other Forum railroads.
Go to Top of Page

leeflan
Fireman

USA
2128 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  5:39:26 PM  Show Profile
Sorry, I can't help you there, WAB. My own little shortline is in Georgia. But I must say, southern Indiana boasts one of the archetypal shortlines of all time, the Louisville, New Albany & Corydon, which has been around since the 1880's. Beebe & Clegg's classic Mixed Train Daily devotes several pages of text and photos to the line.[:-magnify]

You know, it occurs to me [:-bulb] that if you can't find anyone to connect with directly and you use a car forwarding system as I do, you can always have fun routing cars to other Forum railroads.
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11050 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  9:31:24 PM  Show Profile
Southwestern North Carolina here so I'm no help either.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Tyson Rayles

USA
11050 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  9:31:24 PM  Show Profile
Southwestern North Carolina here so I'm no help either.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Wabash Banks
Engine Wiper

USA
394 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  11:56:02 AM  Show Profile
I like that idea about forwarding out cars. I may have to settle for a Penn as the connector, but I could certainly look at what all prodcuts my railroad would be bringing in and make use of others railroads that way.
I receive lumber, but that would be obtained locally. There is a furniture manufacturer on my layout. That would require quire a few textiles and other raw materials. It is a reasonable size operation so there are quite a few cars coming out of there a day.

This just may prove to be far more of an interesting idea. Thanks for the suggestion!
Go to Top of Page

Wabash Banks
Engine Wiper

USA
394 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  11:56:02 AM  Show Profile
I like that idea about forwarding out cars. I may have to settle for a Penn as the connector, but I could certainly look at what all prodcuts my railroad would be bringing in and make use of others railroads that way.
I receive lumber, but that would be obtained locally. There is a furniture manufacturer on my layout. That would require quire a few textiles and other raw materials. It is a reasonable size operation so there are quite a few cars coming out of there a day.

This just may prove to be far more of an interesting idea. Thanks for the suggestion!
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000